Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst Free Agent Signings So Far (Two Raptors!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tim W. wrote: View Post
    If the Nuggets were trying to win a Championship, then signing Nene would be a horrible idea. It keeps them on the mediocrity treadmill and spends money needlessly. It's similar to Atlanta re-signing Joe Johnson for the max (although Nene obviously isn't on the same level as Johnson). By re-signing Johnson to the contract they did, they pretty much are screwing themselves because as their best player, their ceiling is the second round (and because of the contract, improving the team is very difficult), but if they don't re-sign him then they might be a lottery team. In my opinion, what they should have done was let him sign somewhere else and rebuild trading away everyone but Al Horford.
    The Atlanta comparison is a very good one.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
      If the Nuggets were trying to win a Championship, then signing Nene would be a horrible idea. It keeps them on the mediocrity treadmill and spends money needlessly. It's similar to Atlanta re-signing Joe Johnson for the max (although Nene obviously isn't on the same level as Johnson). By re-signing Johnson to the contract they did, they pretty much are screwing themselves because as their best player, their ceiling is the second round (and because of the contract, improving the team is very difficult), but if they don't re-sign him then they might be a lottery team. In my opinion, what they should have done was let him sign somewhere else and rebuild trading away everyone but Al Horford.
      So for Denver, they could have been open to S&T with no ill will, made sure they held onto Afflalo, patiently await W. Chandler's return from China next season, and played to develop all of their young players adding in a decent pick in the 2012 draft.
      PG: Ty Lawson,
      Wings: AAfflalo, WChandler (RFA), CBrewer, DGalinari, JHamilton
      PF: AHarrington, CAnderson, KFaried
      C: TMosgov, KKoufos (RFA)

with a likely decent 2012 pick to add into the mix, and $20-30M below the cap to sign FA's into the C, and backup PG slots and upgrading at the 2,3,4 wherever the development did not suffice.

That would have been a decent team to build on, and lots of flexibility to move forward with. I think Masai was pressured to hold onto something from the success years after having to trade Melo so soon after getting the job.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
        I think Masai was pressured to hold onto something from the success years after having to trade Melo so soon after getting the job.
        Exactly what I was thinking.

Comment

Bill Simmons liked the Gray signing "Dallas (Delonte West), Toronto (Aaron Gray), Phoenix (Shannon Brown), New Jersey (Shawne Williams), Atlanta (Tracy McGrady), Portland (Craig Smith) and Boston (Chris Wilcox) landed solid rotation guys for dirt cheap."

From http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-nba-christmas. Great read btw.

Comment

Working...
          X