Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst Free Agent Signings So Far (Two Raptors!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Free Agent Signings So Far (Two Raptors!!)

From Hoopshype"

Aaron Gray – Toronto. Big, slow and strong, Gray’s natural niche is third-string center. His moves in the low post are robotic and his defense is unacceptable because of his limited lateral movement. Last season, Gray’s total points (129) were virtually matched by his combination of turnovers (32) and fouls (96). In signing Gray (along with Canadian-born Jamaal Magloire), the Raptors have demonstrated just how desperate they are to put a big body in the middle.
    Dishonorable Mention:
    Jamaal Magloire (Toronto) has nothing left. In any case, he’s always been a bully who folds when he himself is bullied.
    http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/ros...#ixzz1gg7LybYQ
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

sounds about right.
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

The only thing I don't like about the signings above are the Raptors' insistence that Bargs is and must play at the four position. Magloire is still a good signing because he's on a one year with plenty of motivation left to get another contract from this team.(two more years before he hangs it up). I'm meh on Gray but the Raps must know something I don't. Can't really complain much because these are all one year deals (except for Forbes).
      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
        ... Magloire is still a good signing because he's on a one year with plenty of motivation left to get another contract from this team.(two more years before he hangs it up). I'm meh on Gray but the Raps must know something I don't. Can't really complain much because these are all one year deals (except for Forbes).
        yeah...i think what we need to keep in mind when reading these kinds of evaluations is that they're generally written from the perspective of 'how does this move help the team win.' very rarely do these quick-hit articles take the long view into consideration. yes, both magloire & gray are 'poor' signings if the goal is for the team to win as many games as possible this season. but that's not the goal...so in a way, these would qualify as good signings, if the article was factoring in what the team was trying to do (i.e. fill out a roster, suck, position themselves for a top-5 pick in a loaded draft, and ensure they don't commit to any long-term deals that will hamper their ability to be players in FA - whatever that means - next summer).

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
        The only thing I don't like about the signings above are the Raptors' insistence that Bargs is and must play at the four position.
        IMO, i don't think either gray or magloire will have much of an on-court role after the first month or so. things will revert to the same frontcourt as last year (bargs starting with one of ed or amir - my money's on ed), and they'll play the same role as last year, but we'll call ed a 5 & bargs a 4, and that will somehow excuse bargs' poor rebounding. at the very least, the year will end with no doubt as to exactly what bargs is (and is not), and will allow the team to move on, knowing full well they did everything (and more) in their power to turn him into a complete player. only hope is that he retains some semblance of trade value after the full exposure this year - i.e. that not even defensive genius casey could light the defensive fire under his natiche.
        Last edited by yertu damkule; Fri Dec 16, 2011, 08:18 AM.

Comment

The bigs we signed on one year deals are are not bad signings. They are what they are, filler till Jonas comes and the team sees what they get in a draft pick next year.

As for Andrea (Raptors) insisting he plays the 4, that is not entirely true, he is on record during this training camp saying that he will see time at the 5 as well as the 4.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I would agree initially but these are just 1-year deals while we wait for JVal to come. Plus Magloire is mainly just a body for practice. I'm sure he'll see a little bit of time too. Gray will be our back up centre for sure. Thus, I do not agree that these are the worst signings.

Sometimes it seems the media outlets don't look heavily into the Raptors situation. They just look at our roster and our previous record and say "there terrible and going nowhere". But when they look at Detroit, Indiana, Cleveland and Sacramento their analyze their situation thoroughly.

Comment

Oh man, Charley Rosen.

That list (except for Bibby) are guys who are back-ups and who are signed to one-year deals, so I fail to see how they are poor signings. Why doesn't Rosen list someone like Nene as a bad FA signing? Dude just got 13.5 mil a season. 13.5 mil a season! That puts him in the top-30 paid NBA players. Is Nene a top-30 player in the league?

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                Oh man, Charley Rosen.

That list (except for Bibby) are guys who are back-ups and who are signed to one-year deals, so I fail to see how they are poor signings. Why doesn't Rosen list someone like Nene as a bad FA signing? Dude just got 13.5 mil a season. 13.5 mil a season! That puts him in the top-30 paid NBA players. Is Nene a top-30 player in the league?
                exactly. writers are like fans, they like the big splashes & big moves. when you're trying to cover all the teams, you inevitibly miss a lot of the finer details with each. it's weird, i often see a much more complete understanding of the L in general & other teams in particular among our readership (based on comments & forum threads) than I do in the general population of sports/basketball writers. i guess they're far too busy hanging out at practice facilities being 'real' journalists.'

Comment

yertu damkule wrote: View Post
                  at the very least, the year will end with no doubt as to exactly what bargs is (and is not), and will allow the team to move on, knowing full well they did everything (and more) in their power to turn him into a complete player.
                  We haven't tried everything yet. We need to see how he pairs with Valanciunas!!! And if that doesn't work, we need to fire Colangelo and Casey, hire their replacements, and then see if the new guys can motivate Bargnani. If that doesn't work, we need to trade DeRozan for a true superstar like LeBron. After all, we need to see if Bargnani needs superstar talent around him to succeed. If that doesn't work, Rogers/Bell needs to sell the team to Jim Ballsilie, a local owner who will burn holes in his pockets, and show Bargnani how hard work can truly pay off. If that doesn't work, we need to relocate the Raptors to Seattle to see if playing in Canada was negatively affecting Bargnani's ability. If that doesn't work...

...we revert Bargnani back to his "natural" position of small forward, and try all of the above again.

The excuses will never (I repeat, never) end. Bargnani has more lives than Super Dave Osborne.
                  Last edited by Nilanka; Fri Dec 16, 2011, 11:02 AM.

Comment

So they didn't consider the price or the Raptors current situation.

Comment

BC said he got offers this off season for bargnani. Why the hell didn't he trade him? if there was a lottery pick or first round pick involved it should have been done. I love how he says no ones untradable and then refuses to trade Barganani this off season

Comment

what an awful, awful list. whoever wrote that should be fired. no mention of caron or nene? they should be #1 and #2.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                          BC said he got offers this off season for bargnani. Why the hell didn't he trade him? if there was a lottery pick or first round pick involved it should have been done. I love how he says no ones untradable and then refuses to trade Barganani this off season
                          +1

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                            what an awful, awful list. whoever wrote that should be fired. no mention of caron or nene? they should be #1 and #2.
                            Did you forget about Kwame Brown?
                            Its only one year, but I dont think I would pay him 7 Mill over 3 years

Comment

kwame brown isn't a great signing but it isn't bad.

ive said this over and over again, but theres no such thing has a bad 1 year signing, especially if you're a rebuilding team.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                              X