Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool ESPN Blurb

3. Toronto Raptors

Young stud? Maybe | Cap situation? Not yet. | Likely lottery picks? One (Own)

Two words: Jonas Valanciunas. Remember the name, because the center could be the best thing to come out of the 2011 draft -- except he won't make his debut until 2012-13. In Euroleague action last season, he averaged 7.6 points and 5.4 rebounds in 14.9 minutes per game on 71 percent shooting. As an 18-year-old. Translated to 40 minutes per game? 20 points and 15 rebounds. It's not a stretch to say that the Raptors' 5th overall pick, who crushed it in the FIBA Under-19 tournament, is a star in the making.

And it might be best that he doesn't come over just yet. Without him, the Raptors can play out this season and have a shot at another future star in a loaded 2012 draft. The Raptors could have the worst record next season in the NBA, but with Valanciunas in tow and a defensive guru like Dwane Casey at the helm, the Raps could also make the biggest jump in 2012-13. Especially if they land a go-to scorer on the wing. Also, contrary to popular belief, Toronto is not an undesirable destination for free agents. This is a franchise on the rise, though they're not ready to launch. Yet.

SOURCE:http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...xt-thunder-nba

Thought it was a nice thng to read...bit of coverage down south

i likeee :]
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Good that some people outside of Canada are taking notice.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
        Good that some people outside of Canada are taking notice.
        Hey, I took notice a long time ago Tim. Don't go all Canada-centric on me and other foreign Toronto-fans.

Comment

Yes nice find and read.

Comment

Am I too blinded by homerism to think that we won't have the worst record next year?

Comment

Agreed that it's about time American NBA journalists start giving the Raps some credit, as a team building to be a legit upper-tier team within a couple seasons! What's not to like about the core of this team and the direction they are headed?

- good young core of Valanciunas, Davis & DeRozan
              - at least 1 high lottery pick from the 2012 draft to be added to the core
              - Bargnani and/or Amir could become mentioned as part of the young core, depending what happens this season with Bargnani
              - Bayless could become mentioned as part of the young core, if he can become more of a true PG
              - a couple good trade deadline expiring contract trade assets (Barbosa, Bayless)
              - plenty of cap space available for 2012 offseason (only 8 players under contract, including Valanciunas - Bayless/Alabi could be)
              - more cap space becoming available in 2013 (Calderon expires), without even using amnesty
              - hungry, defensive minded head coach that appears to be willing to hold players accountable
              - GM who is openly dedicated to methodical rebuilding/building the team (finally!), who isn't afraid to admit/correct mistakes (it seems even the most passionate Bargnani supporter will be ready to call him a 'mistake' if he doesn't show enough improvement this year, so lets avoid the 'is he / isn't he a mistake' debate in this thread! lol)

Go Raps!

PS: I can't wait until Sunday, for the first preseason game!
              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Dec 16, 2011, 02:34 PM.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                PS: I can't wait until Sunday, for the first preseason game!
                It's the only reason I'm looking forward to the weekend (sadly).

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Am I too blinded by homerism to think that we won't have the worst record next year?
                  If so, I'm blind with you
                  The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                    Hey, I took notice a long time ago Tim. Don't go all Canada-centric on me and other foreign Toronto-fans.
                    How's "good that the Americans are starting to take notice?"

Comment

Hello wrote: View Post
                      How's "good that the Americans are starting to take notice?"
                      Honestly? I don't care if they do or don't. Can't watch ESPN et al over here anyway. I'm hoping everyone is going to notice us in a couple of years anyway because we'll be right there at the top of the league.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        yes
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

That was a nice pep talk to Raptors fans just before Christmas.

Comment

One of my all-time favorite raps broadcast moments was when the dumb reporter kept asking Ed about Canadian taxes and jack Armstrong went apeshit
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Wow! I posted earlier that they don't take notice north of the border but I guess a couple or a few actually do. Nice to see.

I do think its been a slow week though, at ESPN, because they did show highlights and analyze the Miami Heat scrimmage.

Comment

Working...
                              X