Bayless next contract?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bayless next contract?

Since Bayless's deal is only for the rest of the season we will most likely extend him.

If this is the case, how much do you think we should be paying him?

I know we should wait ans see his development this year before deciding, but if we were to extend him tommorow, how muvh would you be willing to pay?

Doubt he gets extended unless he goes HAM this season
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

If I were to extend him tomorrow, I would give him two years, 7 million, with a team option for a third year at 4.

Mind you, that's a bit of a lowball, but he hasn't proved he's a legit nba player yet.

Comment

I think it'd be smart to extent him ASAP. Could probably get him fairly cheap and he has spoken very highly and very frequently about how much he wants to stay in Toronto long term.

He has given no indication to us or management that he is anything less than a Sixth man type player in this league, and at best he has a chance to be a very high level Starter for a long time.

Sign him up long term and reward him for a good first season, being vocal about his love of the franchise and city and a fantastic attitude toward coming off the bench and doing whatever is asked of him.

How much and how long? If we extended him tomorrow? I wouldn't be upset if I saw 4 years and $16M. Or something in the neighbourhood.

But I have a huge crush on Bayless, sooo I'm biased.
        Last edited by Joey; Fri Dec 16, 2011, 04:06 PM.

Comment

If I were BC, I wouldn't even entertain extending him until after the trade deadline. If he shows progress towards becoming a legitimate starting PG with a pass-first mentality, then there is long-term potential for him on the Raptors. If not, I use him and his expiring contract as trade bait at the deadline (along with Barbosa), to try and get another 1st round pick in the 2012 draft.

I do see value in his current game, as a change-of-pace score-first backup PG. However, I would much rather look to get a pass-first PG of the future (via trade, draft of free agency) for next season, while having Calderon on the roster as a mentor for one season.

Comment

If the Raptors decide to offer Bayless the qualifying offer, then he can either become a restricted free agent or accept the offer and become and unrestricted free agent the next summer. I think extending him now is pointless because we really don't know whether he's going to be a real player or not. He could end up being a starter in the league, or he could never put it together and be out of the league in 3 years. Who knows.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

malefax wrote: View Post
              If I were to extend him tomorrow, I would give him two years, 7 million, with a team option for a third year at 4.

Mind you, that's a bit of a lowball, but he hasn't proved he's a legit nba player yet.
              7 mil per or 7 mil total?

He's got a qualifying offer of 4.2 mil next season. Personally, I really like Bayless. When he was give the opportunity to show what he could do in a starting role, he put up something like 18 and 6.5 (which isn't bad), but he still has miles to go in terms of showing that he can consistently run an offense. I do think once Calderon leaves, Bayless will be running the point. I'd give maybe 6.25 mil per for the next 2 seasons (12.5 total) with a team option for the next 2 seasons (that are exercised - or not at the end of each of the seasons) at 7 mil.
              Last edited by MangoKid; Fri Dec 16, 2011, 04:12 PM.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                He's got a qualifying offer of 4.2 mil next season. Personally, I really like Bayless. When he was give the opportunity to show what he could do in a starting role, he put up something like 18 and 6.5 (which isn't bad), but he still has miles to go in terms of showing that he can consistently run an offense. I do think once Calderon leaves, Bayless will be running the point. I'd give maybe 6.25 mil per for the next 2 seasons (12.5 total) with a team option for the next 2 seasons (that are exercised - or not at the end of each of the seasons) at 7 mil.
                I'm down for this as well for sure. Hell, if Kwame Brown is worth $7M ... hahah

I was banking on that he'd go for the guaranteed years, but I think he could absolutely command 6.25 on the open market for sure. Especially if he comes out playing like he was at the end of last year.

Comment

I'd be in no rush to extend Bayless.

Also the deadline to extend rookie deal is January 26th - I believe, correct me if I am wrong. So once that deadline passes, rookie contracts cannot be extended until free agency.

Personally, I'd wait it out. Offer the $4M qualifying offer. If he has a great year, awesome, we have cap space plus the right to match any offer. We will also have the cap space to at least sniff a guy like Westbrook or Steve Nash or Raymond Felton (all differing levels of cap space of course). If we jump the gun and offer $6,7,8M per year and he proves he is a poor man's Mike Conley or DJ Augustine then we'll all say a collective, "F*ck."

That is what I'd do so take it for what it is worth. ANd also keep in mind I have a man-crush on Kabongo.

Comment

I'm waiting for the new GM to give him the Calderon contract. I'm calling it...

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Also the deadline to extend rookie deal is January 26th - I believe, correct me if I am wrong. So once that deadline passes, rookie contracts cannot be extended until free agency.

Personally, I'd wait it out. Offer the $4M qualifying offer. If he has a great year, awesome, we have cap space plus the right to match any offer. We will also have the cap space to at least sniff a guy like Westbrook or Steve Nash or Raymond Felton (all differing levels of cap space of course). If we jump the gun and offer $6,7,8M per year and he proves he is a poor man's Mike Conley or DJ Augustine then we'll all say a collective, "F*ck."

That is what I'd do so take it for what it is worth. ANd also keep in mind I have a man-crush on Kabongo.
                    Same.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Considering we can probably draft a potential superstar pf after we tank this seasons and have trading chips and future cap space to make moves to pick up another star player at the sf position (plus we have demar n jonas)....im with you on the kabango man-crush. We need the next rondo that will pass up the rock.

Comment

6.25 million a year? For an unproven backup point-guard? who is, thus far, a mediocre passer, a mediocre shooter, mediocre finisher, and bad defender?

I mean, I like Bayless, but you don't lock guys up at above the mid level exception unless you have to. His market value is way less than 6 million a year. 4 is pushing it, if you really like him.

For the record, my offer was 3.5 million a year, adding up to 7 million over two years. And yes, that is less than his qualifying offer -- but there is no guarantee he is going to get a qualifying offer at all. Lots of guys don't.

Comment

malefax wrote: View Post
                          6.25 million a year? For an unproven backup point-guard? who is, thus far, a mediocre passer, a mediocre shooter, mediocre finisher, and bad defender?

I mean, I like Bayless, but you don't lock guys up at above the mid level exception unless you have to. His market value is way less than 6 million a year. 4 is pushing it, if you really like him.

For the record, my offer was 3.5 million a year, adding up to 7 million over two years. And yes, that is less than his qualifying offer -- but there is no guarantee he is going to get a qualifying offer at all. Lots of guys don't.
                          I am with you on this one, although I would go slightly higher. I like Bayless, have since before coming to the Raptors, but at this point I would lean to a $4M growing to $5M in 3-4yrs. I would guess that Hello's argument is if extending him now he comes cheaper, since taking a risk that he continues improving without seeing his contributions this year. One big reason I would not (if doing an early extension) give $6+M per year is one of his knocks is his ego, and a jump like that without truly proving himself, will likely go to his head and he will regress (IMO) to 'me-first, I am the best' ways.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                            I am with you on this one, although I would go slightly higher. I like Bayless, have since before coming to the Raptors, but at this point I would lean to a $4M growing to $5M in 3-4yrs. I would guess that Hello's argument is if extending him now he comes cheaper, since taking a risk that he continues improving without seeing his contributions this year. One big reason I would not (if doing an early extension) give $6+M per year is one of his knocks is his ego, and a jump like that without truly proving himself, will likely go to his head and he will regress (IMO) to 'me-first, I am the best' ways.
                            That was one of my main thoughts, do you think we should sign him now for fairly cheap (id say around 4-5mill) or wait and see if he impoves a lot, like people suspect, and then give him a bigger contract.

I would rather sign him now, lock him up, hopefully for fairly cheap, that way if he does improve he will not be able to demand a much larger salary and possibly leave the team. Also, I do not think 4 or 5 Mill is expensive, either for a starter (if he develops into the role) or a 6th man (where I see him for the future). It also would not affect our Salary Cap that much to be a burden.

I have not seen anything from Bayless to indicate that, after getting paid he would get bigheaditis. He seems fairly down to earth, enjoys playing in Toronto, and enjoys the team we have. And I do not think 4 mill is much to brag about (for an NBA player).

Although Kabango looks great, I dont think he will be great in the NBA. Again, only my opinion. But I do believe getting a second first round pick to get him will be much harder than we expect. Unless we make some major deals (cough*Bargnani*cough*) in the year, I think we need to move forward with Bayless. Remember, theres always the 2013 draft :P.

Edit: That was not directed at you Maleko it was directed to everyone, I just quoted you becuase you mention signing him for cheaper

Comment

One thing to keep in mind about the new CBA and acquiring a first round draft pick.

In the old CBA teams were able to include up to $3M on EVERY transaction.

In the new CBA teams are only able to spend up to $3M for the ENTIRE YEAR.

Thinking about that come draft time, if the Raptors have not included cash in any other transactions, they will be able to spend $3M for a first round draft pick to a team that is veteran laden or not looking to add a guaranteed contract for this coming summer's free agency period (remember OKC got Daequan Cook and a first rounder for a second round pick in 2010) *EDIT* or is cheap. A team like the Knicks have already spent $3M in their sign and trade for Tyson Chandler.

Something to remember as the Raptors don't have to necessarily give up give up a basketball asset to obtain that first round pick. I'm not sure how big of a deal this will be but I think it is big enough to mention.
                              Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Dec 17, 2011, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X