What happened to Alabi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    There were a lot of people who coaches though were shit that turned out to be great...
    There's a lot more people who coaches thought were shit that turned out to be shit.

Coaches know Alabi needs more minutes in order to learn the game = Alabi got 5 minutes. What does that tell you?
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
      There were a lot of people who coaches though were shit that turned out to be great...
      Like who, for instance?

If Alabi was really so good, I would think he would have dominated the D-League, wouldn't he? He didn't even put up 20/10 numbers playing against inferior competition. Talent has a way of blasting through obstacles such as lack of experience.

Comment

I think it really does come to us as Raptors fans having never enjoyed a successful 2nd round pick. Some of us have developed this complex where, despite how bad a player is, we aren't willing to give up.

I remember how hard I tried to convince others that PJ Tucker was the real deal. I mean, sure he was short and slow, but he led his college team in rebounding, that had to count for something! And boy did we ever need a rebounder! I also remember reading up (with Google Translate) on Uros Slokar, hoping and wondering when he'd come join the team.

Remember how long we stuck with Roko Ukic? LOL.. "Just wait until he starts a few games.. you'll see...". Where is he now? (this is a rhetorical question)
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
          There's a lot more people who coaches thought were shit that turned out to be shit.

Coaches know Alabi needs more minutes in order to learn the game = Alabi got 5 minutes. What does that tell you?
          5 min isn't enough in a blowout lose, especially when Gray and the rest of the centers were playing trash.

BTW It wasn't even 5 min, it was 3 min.
          Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Thu Dec 22, 2011, 03:57 PM.

Comment

I think it really does come to us as Raptors fans having never enjoyed a successful 2nd round pick. Some of us have developed this complex where, despite how bad a player is, we aren't willing to give up.

I remember how hard I tried to convince others that PJ Tucker was the real deal. I mean, sure he was short and slow, but he led his college team in rebounding, that had to count for something! And boy did we ever need a rebounder! I also remember reading up (with Google Translate) on Uros Slokar, hoping and wondering when he'd come join the team.

Remember how long we stuck with Roko Ukic? LOL.. "Just wait until he starts a few games.. you'll see...". Where is he now? (this is a rhetorical question)
            We might already be guilty of this "wishful thinking" not just with Alabi, but with Bargnani, Bayless, J.Johnson, DeRozan, Davis, Amir, etc. It's entirely possible that all of these guys don't get much better than they are now. I see some good players here, but let's not kid ourselves....none of these guys are considered "elite".

And if the goal is to build a championship contender one day, can we realistically expect to do so without elite-level talent to lead the way (e.g. Duncan, Dirk, Kobe, LeBron, Shaq, Howard, etc.)?

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              We might already be guilty of this "wishful thinking" not just with Alabi, but with Bargnani, Bayless, J.Johnson, DeRozan, Davis, Amir, etc. It's entirely possible that all of these guys don't get much better than they are now. I see some good players here, but let's not kid ourselves....none of these guys are considered "elite".

And if the goal is to build a championship contender one day, can we realistically expect to do so without elite-level talent to lead the way (e.g. Duncan, Dirk, Kobe, LeBron, Shaq, Howard, etc.)?
              You are absolutely correct, in my opinion, which is why the 2012 draft is so important. We have the 2nd/3rd options. We have workhorses and role players. We have depth. We just don't have an elite talent(s).

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                You are absolutely correct, in my opinion, which is why the 2012 draft is so important. We have the 2nd/3rd options. We have workhorses and role players. We have depth. We just don't have an elite talent(s).
                You talk about 2nd/3rd options, but I'm not too optimistic about even that. Would any championship contender, that is serious about defense, start *any* of our players? Between Bargnani, DeRozan, or Davis would any of them start on any of the top 10 teams? I can't think of many teams who would.
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

You talk about 2nd/3rd options, but I'm not too optimistic about even that. Would any championship contender, that is serious about defense, start *any* of our players? Between Bargnani, DeRozan, or Davis would any of them start on any of the top 10 teams? I can't think of many teams who would.
                  Maybe not today, but hopefully with Casey's guidance, some of these guys become worthy of championship calibre teams one day.

Comment

I was not looking at the Raptors being a top 10 team in the league right now. That is the point, right now, most are not good enough to start on a top ten team. However:

Bargnani could be a third banana in my opinion with the right players around him (very similar to the situation Luol Deng was in before Chicago hit the 6/49 with Noah and then the next year won LottoMax with Rose).

DD could possibly be a second banana in another season or two, in my opinion. The question last year was if he was a legit starter - he showed he is albeit after a slow start. Now how much further can he take it? He is just turned 22. He would be senior in college. Outside of elite talent, few 1st/2nd/3rd year player are leading their team to top 10 status in the league. Even Durant was in his 3rd year to get OKC to an 8th seed (albeit in the west with 50 wins if memory serves correct).

I don't feel confident enough saying what I think ED could reach at this point but i do think starter for a top 10 team is very likely *in time*. Same with JV.

Top 10 teams rarely get put together over night (we're ignoring you, Miami). As cliche as it has become around here, it really is a building period. Bring on the draft to get the franchise player which we most certainly do not have at this time.

Comment

Oh sorry, I did not know you meant some of our guys could potentially become 2nd/3rd options in the FUTURE. In that case yes, it's definitely possible and I see that in Davis. I mean the guy is probably capable of averaging 10/8 coming off the bench!

With DeRozan.. he's young so there's still time, but other than scoring I don't see a whole lot, and on a good team with limited touches, he's missing a fair bit of game. I mean I can see him easily hitting 23+ this year but on a truly awful team it doesn't count for that much.

Bargs.. not sure either. I'm not sure how much Casey will be able to help him get better at this point. He's entering his 6th season, and for the average big man, that's around the halfway point of his career.

Timing will definitely be key. I hope the 2012 pick will be able to hit the ground running
                      your pal,
                      ebrian

Comment

Working...
                      X