ESPN Insider East Rankings: Raptors 13th out of 15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planetmars wrote: View Post
    I'm trying to understand why all the Philly love? ESPN ranked them 5th.. others have said 3rd or 4th. They basically have the same team as last year, and they were .500, and in the playoffs they got spanked by the Heat. I think they'll be ranked 8th.. but will be a fringe team competing with Milwaukee, NJ and Atlanta to make the playoffs.

Am I missing something?
    It's probably because most of Philly's key pieces last year (i.e. Holiday, Turner, Young, Williams) were young and relatively inexperienced, while also working out the kinks with a new coach.

This year, everyone's 1 year older/wiser, is comfortable with Collins' system, and Brand is finally playing to the level of his contract (almost).

Philly started the season 3-13, but went 38-28 (.576) to end the season. That projects to 47 wins through a full 82 game schedule, which sounds about right for a 4 or 5 seed.
    Last edited by Nilanka; Thu Dec 22, 2011, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      It's probably because most of Philly's key pieces last year (i.e. Holiday, Turner, Young, Williams) were young and relatively inexperienced, while also working out the kinks with a new coach.

This year, everyone's 1 year older/wiser, is comfortable with Collins' system, and Brand is finally playing to the level of his contract (almost).

Philly started the season 3-13, but went 38-28 (.576) to end the season. That projects to 47 wins through a full 82 game schedule, which sounds about right for a 4 or 5 seed.
      That's good reasoning - thanks.

The Sixers are basically fielding a team that is very similar to what the Raptors have (minus an Iggy or Brand - unless you count Bargnani and Calderon). So if they jump up to 4th or 5th in the standings, that gives the Raptors a lot of hope for the future, in my opinion.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
        That's good reasoning - thanks.

The Sixers are basically fielding a team that is very similar to what the Raptors have (minus an Iggy or Brand - unless you count Bargnani and Calderon). So if they jump up to 4th or 5th in the standings, that gives the Raptors a lot of hope for the future, in my opinion.
        Jrue Holiday is turning into the Main guy in that offense, and he is a very special player.
        I think alot of 'Experts' are going off what they saw in the Playoffs from Holiday, and figuring if that carries over, the Sixers will be a VERY different team.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          I'm really digging Paul George. He could very well be the best player on the Pacers.
          I have him in my fantasy pool . I think we're one spot higher than Detroit though.
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

We are going to have some trouble staying behind New Jersey and Washington. I watched the first quarter of the Lopez-less Nets against Atlanta and that was as terrible as it can get. Atlanta wasn't even playing well and managed to go up about 15 easily. Unlike yesterday against Washington the Nets aren't coming back in this one (4th quarter now, behind 30+). I didn't watch anymore of the game because choosing between Miami-Boston and this game ...

I didn't see the Nets versus the Wizards, but they somehow managed to win that game. This is going to be tough, we might have to start Bayless or find other creative line-ups at the end of the season to finish below NJ and WW.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
              We are going to have some trouble staying behind New Jersey and Washington. I watched the first quarter of the Lopez-less Nets against Atlanta and that was as terrible as it can get. Atlanta wasn't even playing well and managed to go up about 15 easily. Unlike yesterday against Washington the Nets aren't coming back in this one (4th quarter now, behind 30+). I didn't watch anymore of the game because choosing between Miami-Boston and this game ...

I didn't see the Nets versus the Wizards, but they somehow managed to win that game. This is going to be tough, we might have to start Bayless or find other creative line-ups at the end of the season to finish below NJ and WW.
              after watching the Jazz last night, they may be another team to add to that list. They were pathetic. Yes they played the Lakers, but a Lakers team that just played their 3rd game in row.....

Charlotte
              Jazz
              Detroit
              NJ
              Cleveland

could all easily be duking it out with the Raps for best of the worst.

I'm suprised by the number of people thinking Orlando and Atlanta will be fighting for a playoff spot this year.

East:

Miami
              Chicago
              Boston (if healthy)
              NY
              Orlando (with Dwight... without take them off the list)
              Atlanta
              Indy (not willing to put them higher until they prove they can beat those other teams, but moving up is very likely)
              Philly

think there is a huge drop off after that, with maybe Milwaukee kicking at Philliy's heels.

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                I'm suprised by the number of people thinking Orlando and Atlanta will be fighting for a playoff spot this year.

East:

Miami
                Chicago
                Boston (if healthy)
                NY
                Orlando (with Dwight... without take them off the list)
                Atlanta
                Indy (not willing to put them higher until they prove they can beat those other teams, but moving up is very likely)
                Philly

think there is a huge drop off after that, with maybe Milwaukee kicking at Philliy's heels.
                I wasn't impressed by Atlanta yesterday (even though they won by a landslide). I have also seen part of the Milwaukee game; they have a really good team with some decent bench players. Bogut looks to be healthy, which will be big. They didn't play particularly well, with quite a lot of bad offensive possessions, but this is a team which should make the play-offs when Bogut stays healthy. I don't know which of the other teams will drop out, dare I say Atlanta?

Comment

Dave Berri's site predicts Raptors will be "Terrible":

Power forward will continue to be the team’s strength. The point guard position will be roughly average — a relative strong point for Toronto. Shooting guard, small forward, and centre will all be around a WP48 of zero; there will be a small number of wins produced at SG, but most of these wins will be offset by the losses created by the team’s centres (specifically the team’s least productive player).
                  http://wagesofwins.com/2011/12/26/to...l-be-terrible/

Comment

Working...
                  X