Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jerryd Bayless : Not the PG of the Future!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take it easy boys, 3 games into the season here ...

Boy this is a tough crowd to be a raptor in ... give the guy atleast 10-15 games before you make a decision on his ENTIRE future lol. Guys like Russel Westbrook are shoot first point guards, but any team would love to have them, the only difference between westbrook and bayless (besides a little size) is that westbrook has gotten playtime, which bayless didnt get until the end of last year during which he shined. So give the guy a chance, lets see how the season plays out and decide then.
    "Defense wins championships."

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
      Boy this is a tough crowd to be a raptor in ... give the guy atleast 10-15 games before you make a decision on his ENTIRE future lol. Guys like Russel Westbrook are shoot first point guards, but any team would love to have them, the only difference between westbrook and bayless (besides a little size) is that westbrook has gotten playtime, which bayless didnt get until the end of last year during which he shined. So give the guy a chance, lets see how the season plays out and decide then.
      There's another difference: Westbrook's efforts result in wins.

Comment

Nope! Even last year I was iffy on the kid. I know I am not the coach or anything but for whatever reason, he doesn't seem to jive with the rest of the cats on the floor. As soon as I hear that sub horn I roll my eyes and cross my fingers that it's Ed Davis instead of JB. Is it too much to ask that the Raptors succeed and push to succeed instead of playing this weak ass waiting game that we are stuck in. Jose comes off the books at the end of the season so they have space to sign someone fit and we have an awesome young group of guys. I think Toronto is a nice free agent destination and with one or two more of the right pieces, we are in. The East Shell isn't that tough to crack, .500 or better and we are in. As a fan I want results and leaving Bayless there, I feel, takes away from the direction we are going. Westbrook is also WAY better than Bayless in every sense of the word.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          Couple things. The Raptors don't really have much history in buying picks. I like the idea but I just don't know if they'd do it. Second point is the draft is extremely thin when it comes to PGs. Teams might reach on Kabongo or Marshall if they're unable to trade down or if they're fearful that someone else might reach on one of them if they do trade down.
          With new ownership one cannot paint them with the same brush as the old ownership.

Also, spending $3M to buy a pick to draft Kabongo would more than pay for itself given he is a hometown kid in my opinion.

Comment

You could be right. He has not started a game yet this season. However his performance shouldn't be hampered or hindered by starter/reserve status. More importantly of anything else, there has been no evident improvement in 2 preseason or 3 regular season games. He is athletic, skilled, and competitive but if you can't put it together consistently (which he has shown he cannot) then it is time to start thinking about alternatives.

*DISCLAIMER* I wrote off DD last year and he put together a decent year.... that is your cue Jerryd.

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
              If Jose was to be amnestied I think this was the year to do it. Next year he is expiring which gives his contract additional asset value. That said, if a fantastic trade or FA signing is available and more cap space is needed to get the deal done then I can see it... but short of that, using the amnesty clause on Jose next year would be the same as using the amnesty on Barbossa this year.

As to the initial post, after 3 games I don't think Bayless has a future here (or atleast hope he doesn't). That ofcourse could change, but he has played the classic undersized SG playing PG role, which is, to me, one of the worst positional roles in the NBA.
              I agree on Calderon and the bolded section would be the only situation to amnesty Calderon. If a trade or free agent does not present itself, why amnesty him?

Comment

Ugh...first of all if you use early statistics Bayless is the 14th best Pg in the Eastern Conference, while Calderon is 10-3rd depending if you prefer PER or Value Added as a metric. Like Amir Johnson, he can look ugly at times, but don't ignore the effort or the positives. His shooting this year so far has been solid, and it will get better. Yes, he's more of a Sg than a Pg but over half of the starting Pg's in the league are like that.
                -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                  Yes, he's more of a Sg than a Pg but over half of the starting Pg's in the league are like that.
                  But if we're truly rebuilding (instead in "win now" mode), then why settle for a piece that doesn't necessarily fit a championship mold? At some point in the next 1-2 years, the Raptors will need a legit, pass-first PG who is capable of growing with the rest of our young core, and peeking all together. Neither Bayless nor Calderon fits in that regard.

I don't mind Bayless taking over the bench scoring wing role (if Barbosa's expiring contract is traded), but IMO, he's not our long-term answer at PG.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    But if we're truly rebuilding (instead in "win now" mode), then why settle for a piece that doesn't necessarily fit a championship mold? At some point in the next 1-2 years, the Raptors will need a legit, pass-first PG who is capable of growing with the rest of our young core, and peeking all together. Neither Bayless nor Calderon fits in that regard.
                    The idea of all starters growing and peeking together is nice, but un-payable. Even more so under the new cba. You need some cheap rookies and/or cheap veterans.

The Thunder is interesting in this regard; they got a great core, but how are they going to pay Westbrook and Harden ánd Ibaka? They (probably) won't be able to and the growing together is going to end at, or just before, the peeking together.

Comment

I don't mind Bayless taking over the bench scoring wing role (if Barbosa's expiring contract is traded), but IMO, he's not our long-term answer at PG.
                      I'd take Bayless over any of the point-guards that played in the finals last year, as an example....
                      -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                      -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                        I'd take Bayless over any of the point-guards that played in the finals last year, as an example....
                        You'd take him over Kidd? Maybe we should ask Dallas if they want to do a deal.

Comment

Did OKC need a 'Legit Pass-First PG' to make itself a Championship Contender?

Or the Bulls with Rose?

Though I agree that having a Younger version of Calderon (Besides Nash, he's probably the Best in the League as Pure Point Rating goes) would ideal for the team going forward, it is not by any means, in my opinion, a necessity.
                          Last edited by Joey; Wed Jan 4, 2012, 04:14 PM.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                            Did OKC need a 'Legit Pass-First PG' to make itself a Championship Contender?

Or the Bulls with Rose?
                            Perhaps "legit, pass-first PG" was too literal. The PG of the future for the Raps doesn't need to necessarily be "pass-first", but he does need to be "pass now and then, and preferably to a teammate". Or he needs to be an elite, all-star calibre player in general (Rose, Westbrook). Both of which requirements still disqualify Bayless from that role.
                            Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
                              Or he needs to be an elite, all-star calibre player in general (Rose, Westbrook). Both of which requirements still disqualify Bayless from that role.
                              Fair. And agreed.

But once again, one could point at LA winning with Derek Fisher, or Boston with a very young, inexperienced Rondo. Or Miami making it with Mario Chalmers.

PG's obviously help the situation, but ultimately, all it comes down to is how much talent you have, 1 through 5.

I wouldn't pass up the chance to Draft an Elite level PG because we have Bayless on the Roster, dont get me wrong. But having an Elite level PG will only get you so far without the Elite level players around him.
                              Last edited by Joey; Wed Jan 4, 2012, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X