Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put Tom to work! RR Resident Statophile Tom Liston Season-long Q & A

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Put Tom to work! RR Resident Statophile Tom Liston Season-long Q & A

    On Thursday, the first edition of the Statophile series will be published. This is a series of posts dedicated to statistical analysis and run by Tom Liston. This is a thread where you can:
    1. Ask Tom to investigate trends that you noticed (Is DeRozan's efficiency really up or is he just taking too many shots? Has Bargnani's post-scoring improved or am I just seeing things?)
    2. Provide him ideas and potential areas of research
    3. General Q & A regarding all things statistics


    Tom will do his best to address all comments, but do keep in mind that RR is run by people who work full-time, have families (many with kids), and run this site entirely in their "spare" time.

    Thank you!

  • #2
    I got a question. I'm wondering if or how much Bargnani's offensive efficiency is influenced by the presence of teammates who can shoot the ball and thus spread the floor.

    Comment


    • #3
      I've got a few.

      1. What do advanced stats say about the improvement in our defense? In particular are Bargs, DD, and Caldy playing well relative to others playing the same position around the league.

      2. What are our best lineups?
      "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

      -Churchill

      Comment


      • #4
        What player has the biggest impact on the team, as in when on and off the court.

        And what percentage of field goals are assisted.

        Comment


        • #5
          I hope I understand this correctly, but here it goes.

          1. Since Butler isn't really giving much offense starting, does it make sense to put in James Johnson? I guess what I'm asking is, do the Raptors statistically better when James Johnson is in the line up as oppose to Butler?
          #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

          Comment


          • #6
            This might be a silly one:

            What is Barg's defensive efficiency as a PF compared to him as a C? I'm asking because this has been an age-old debate in this forum.

            Comment


            • #7
              A comparison of Bargs from last year to this year would be good: what has improved in his stats? What is his total improvement from last year to this year?

              Generally, it would be great to get a comparison of the whole team from last year to this year in advanced stats. Who has improved the most (to date)?

              Apparently we have an amazing trainer now. What has his contribution been to the team? Can we see it in any statistics you can measure (this might require an interesting interview also - to ask him how he works on different players, and then intuit how that could show up statistically in games - is it simply reducing injuries; could it show up in having less of a dropoff in shooting percentage when players play more minutes; anything else)?

              It would also be good to get a breakdown of James Johnson: how good is he on defense, assists, etc compared to allstar small forwards? If he developed even average shooting skills would he be great or just average?

              And of course it's always fun to hear about Jonas: how about a full statistical analysis of his work in Europe? Which stats are likely to carry over well, which are not: for instance, last I checked he had out-of-this-world true shooting stats ... any chance this will carry over? Care to guess what his stats will be next year in his rookie season? Where would that place him relative to other centers in this league?
              Last edited by Kuh; Thu Jan 5, 2012, 10:31 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                RPT23 wrote: View Post
                I hope I understand this correctly, but here it goes.

                1. Since Butler isn't really giving much offense starting, does it make sense to put in James Johnson? I guess what I'm asking is, do the Raptors statistically better when James Johnson is in the line up as oppose to Butler?
                They sample size is VERY small, so I hesitate to answer, but... So far they've had similar impact wrt to ON/OFF court ratings, however, Butler has generally played with better players as he's had more starter minutes (and certainly generally played against better players).

                Butler: http://basketballvalue.com/player.ph...011-2012&id=76
                Johnson: http://basketballvalue.com/player.ph...11-2012&id=812

                I'd point you to the Calderon - DeRozan - SmallForward - Johnson - Bargnani lineups as a comparison and Johnson looks bettter (albeit in only 24 minutes).

                In fact, its the best unit (w/ Johnson) so far this year.
                http://basketballvalue.com/amofunit....60-812-510-612
                (Again, the data is very limited).
                http://twitter.com/Liston

                Comment


                • #9
                  Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                  I got a question. I'm wondering if or how much Bargnani's offensive efficiency is influenced by the presence of teammates who can shoot the ball and thus spread the floor.
                  I'll get to this, but 82games.com has been VERY slow updating its site (i.e. missing 3 games).
                  http://twitter.com/Liston

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    hateslosing wrote: View Post
                    I've got a few.

                    1. What do advanced stats say about the improvement in our defense? In particular are Bargs, DD, and Caldy playing well relative to others playing the same position around the league.

                    2. What are our best lineups?
                    1. First part was generally outlined here: Statophile Vol 21 as well as Calderon comparisons. I'll work on Bargnani and DeRozan shortly.

                    2. It's VERY early (especially for lineups), but here they are:
                    i. Calderon, Jose - Derozan, DeMar - Johnson, James - Johnson, Amir - Bargnani, Andrea followed by
                    ii. Calderon, Jose - Derozan, DeMar - Butler, Rasual - Bargnani, Andrea - Magloire, Jamaal and (a close 3rd)
                    iii. Calderon, Jose - Derozan, DeMar - Butler, Rasual - Johnson, Amir - Bargnani, Andrea

                    The second lineup has only played 13.2 minutes together, so I wouldn't put any stock in this data yet. They ("ii") played very well against ORL.
                    http://twitter.com/Liston

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      JoePanini wrote: View Post
                      What player has the biggest impact on the team, as in when on and off the court.
                      So far this year? Andrea Bargnani (though I caution the data is "noisy" with only 6 games played).
                      Over last 2 years? Amir Johnson

                      JoePanini wrote: View Post
                      And what percentage of field goals are assisted.
                      Toronto leads the league (as of Jan 6th) with 68.42% FG assisted on.
                      http://twitter.com/Liston

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                        I got a question. I'm wondering if or how much Bargnani's offensive efficiency is influenced by the presence of teammates who can shoot the ball and thus spread the floor.
                        I'll attempt this, but it will be difficult - especially after only 7 games. Remind me again after 20 or so. (E.g. a lineup like Carter - Barbosa - Johnson - Davis - Bargnani has only played 6 minutes together this year)
                        http://twitter.com/Liston

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Kuh wrote: View Post
                          A comparison of Bargs from last year to this year would be good: what has improved in his stats? What is his total improvement from last year to this year?
                          I'll to this for Thursday as we'll have a few more games under his belt.

                          Kuh wrote: View Post
                          Generally, it would be great to get a comparison of the whole team from last year to this year in advanced stats. Who has improved the most (to date)?
                          Will add this as well Thursday.

                          Kuh wrote: View Post
                          Apparently we have an amazing trainer now. What has his contribution been to the team? Can we see it in any statistics you can measure (this might require an interesting interview also - to ask him how he works on different players, and then intuit how that could show up statistically in games - is it simply reducing injuries; could it show up in having less of a dropoff in shooting percentage when players play more minutes; anything else)?
                          Likely impossible to determine given how many factors can contribute to improved play. I know Casey was impressed on how he helped Calderon in a short time, but we'll have to see how they hold up over a season. However, even then, it may not be overly comparable since this season is so condensed - and would generally lead to more than typical injuries.

                          Kuh wrote: View Post
                          It would also be good to get a breakdown of James Johnson: how good is he on defense, assists, etc compared to allstar small forwards? If he developed even average shooting skills would he be great or just average?
                          I'll add this to Thursday's post and compare him to Butler as well.

                          Kuh wrote: View Post
                          And of course it's always fun to hear about Jonas: how about a full statistical analysis of his work in Europe? Which stats are likely to carry over well, which are not: for instance, last I checked he had out-of-this-world true shooting stats ... any chance this will carry over? Care to guess what his stats will be next year in his rookie season? Where would that place him relative to other centers in this league?
                          The best stat that "carries over" consistently from Europe is rebounds (and, of course FT%). I'll look up the paper on it.
                          http://twitter.com/Liston

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Statophile 22 | Weak Wings, Andrea the All Star and Punishment in the Paint

                            We touched on some of your questions today:
                            Statophile 22 | Weak Wings, Andrea the All Star and Punishment in the Paint
                            http://twitter.com/Liston

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I want to know what the difference is between dwayne casey's team and jay triano's team from 2 years ago? when we had that nice run from like december to the all-star break and missed out on the post-season because chris bosh couldn't make a lay-up!
                              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

                              Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X