Who would you like to see the Raptors sign/draft as STARTING PG for 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who would you like to see the Raptors sign/draft as STARTING PG for 2012

Ok so we have much debated the wonders of Bayless and Calderon on here, and the drafting of Kabongo etc, but now I am wondering who the de facto favourite is as the STARTING PG for next year is from the Republic.

I am adding in a trade choice for the likes of Steph Curry and Kyle Lowry, but overall I am assuming they are truly untouchables right now, at least for what we would want to give up in return. We have about $20M in FA money for next year on current projections, and with a solid, or at least set frontcourt, and likely set at the 2, we need punch from the PG and SF positions, likely one coming from the draft and the other FA/trade.

So who do ya like for the group next year with the current guaranteed or team option contracts:

PG: JCalderon
    SG: DDerozan
    SF: JJohnson, LKleiza
    PF: ABargnani, EDavis, AJohnson
    C: JValencunas, SAlabi
    Notes: I believe Forbes (SF) has multiple years on his deal, but not certain, and hold rights to Sonny Weems (SG) and RFA rights currently to JBayless (PG - debateable of course)
    Jose Calderon (who needs it we have our guy)
    26.67%
    Jerryd Bayless (he is misunderstood and a star PG to be)
    0.00%
    Raymond Felton
    6.67%
    Andre Miller
    0.00%
    Russell Westbrook (he wants to be da man)
    13.33%
    Myck Kabongo (draft the T. promotion hero)
    28.33%
    Kendall Marshall (who cares if he can't shoot he passes)
    8.33%
    Other (the world is full of star PGs)
    11.67%
    Trade for SCurry/KLowry
    5.00%

Starting should be Calderon next year still.... but we should draft Kabongo for a future changeover. I'm against free agents (PG) signing..

Comment

I am a Felton signer, with a hope to pick up another pick and draft Kabongo or Marshall to understudy Felton/Calderon.

Of course if we cannot get a MKG, Miller or Barnes out of the draft, I am also for a draft of Kabongo/Marshall, using money to chase a SF FA like Wilson Chandler etc. and bypass a Felton using Calderon on a longer cheaper contract, but first choice is Felton and draft.

Comment

NOTE: I apologize to Teague lovers, but I don't see a difference from Bayless and JB is already a pseudo known commodity with a stated love of the city/team.

Comment

It all depends. Jose has played so well that he has boosted his trade value. If there is a good offer then move him and try for Felton with a Kabongo or Marshall scenario as understudy. I want to see Barnes at the 3, I think he is the perfect fit, but we need a lot of luck for the ping pong balls to go our way.
          Ball Don't Lie

Comment

agreed. Not too mention his bro will be available in the draft if we are really wanting a Teague! He isn't great either
            Ball Don't Lie

Comment

I think we should find a 2nd first rounder to get Kabongo or find a way to get Lowry (if we can get him without destroying the team).

Comment

I know it's pretty unlikely, but so is Westbrook, so I'm just going to say it: why no love for D-Will? As it stands now, no one expects him to stay in NJ because they look like they're at least 2-3 seasons from respectability, nevermind contending.

In a more serious way, I'd take Felton because he's more likely to come at a reasonable price, is a good distributor, and good teammate. None of the guys I've mentioned are really defensive stoppers, with Westbrook probably being the best at containing 1-on-1. Westbrook is also the one who still needs the most maturing, although with the highest ceiling maybe, although D-Will will be judged by how much he wins in the long run because everyone knows his ability is top tier. I also would question Westbrook's character for leaving a situation where he could win multiple titles. And not even necessarily for money, just to be "the man". What if we get a great draft pick this year who is a franchise calibre player? Will Westbrook then clash with him? Bad bad character trait if the rumors become true. I'll pass on that, and go back to other prizes like Williams, Felton, making a trade or drafting someone.

Random thoughts: I'm a Kabongo fan and curious to see how he looks come draft time. Not a Marshall fan, he really can't shoot and it really can be a problem in the NBA. It's not like he's scoring in other ways too, so that's a bad sign. I'm not big on trading for Curry right now, but only because of his ankle problems, so I might be more open to it if it doesn't seem lingering. If we can't upgrade, keep Jose until we can.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  Random thoughts: I'm a Kabongo fan and curious to see how he looks come draft time. Not a Marshall fan, he really can't shoot and it really can be a problem in the NBA. It's not like he's scoring in other ways too, so that's a bad sign. I'm not big on trading for Curry right now, but only because of his ankle problems, so I might be more open to it if it doesn't seem lingering. If we can't upgrade, keep Jose until we can.
                  Marshall is kinda like Jason Kidd, he wasn't known for hit jumper coming in but hes a great distributer. You gotta go with this guy, cause just by him not getting respect from the league from his jumper, he will learn to stick open jumpers and thus become an all around player..eventually.
                  NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Sorry intended on including DWilliams when setting up and totally forgot adding him into the poll. Maybe that's a sign.

Comment

I said Calderon. Westbrook and Felton are going to re-sign with their respective teams. Steve Nash, Kirk Hinrich and Goran Dragic are 3 guys I'd like to see in, but this is not the point.

Comment

Nash, Steve

Comment

Kabongo is over savoir at PG draft him.

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
                            Marshall is kinda like Jason Kidd, he wasn't known for hit jumper coming in but hes a great distributer. You gotta go with this guy, cause just by him not getting respect from the league from his jumper, he will learn to stick open jumpers and thus become an all around player..eventually.
                            I don't know, Jason Kidd could do a lot of other things well, and also has beastly size (and knows how to use it). I'm not saying Marshall won't be good in the NBA because if any of us could definitively say that kind of thing we'd have jobs in basketball, but I do worry that his weaknesses are too numerous and crucial to the NBA game. It's not like he is just a bad shooter, he's a bad scorer all around, a weak defender and doesn't bring the all around game a Jason Kidd does, or even a Rajon Rondo to go with another poor shooter.

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
                              Jason Kidd was also a number 2 overall draft pick. While I get your point I think, overall, Marshall and Kidd are in totally different classes.

Comment

Working...
                              X