Who would you like to see the Raptors sign/draft as STARTING PG for 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

draftedraptor wrote: View Post
    You don't think Jennings will be a good aquisition?

As for getting Nash here as Kabongo's mentor - the fans want it and BC knows Nash has two good years left in him. He would not leave the Suns for anything less than a genuine playoff team (without Barbosa in its roster :P).

Calderon's contract is pretty bad and he is old for most teams to want him. Maybe someone with lots of cap space could be convinced (if he has a career year) but don't expect much in return. I would get rid of him for any reasonable offer.

Goran Dragic is not much of an improvement from Bayless as our number 2/3 if we can get someone like DWill. They have similar stats playing limited minutes last 3 years. The clear positives as I see them - Bayless is younger and athletic. Goran is slightly better in everything, Euro and definitely not a headcase.

BC can perhaps 'stroke a ego' (read : hand out ridiculous contracts) but to get a franchise player like D.Will he must show them the team can move forward. NJ has the cap space, amnesty clauses and expiring contracts but he is still unsettled as he is not sure the team can bring in big players why would he feel any different about the raptors.
    I'm not sold on Jennings. From what I've seen, he's a shoot first guard. Similar to Bayless with better skills. I don't see him as a long term answer for the PG position. I'm not sure if Milwaukee would give him up easily either. He is restricted as well. He and Demar are good friends, but playing with a friend does not always mean success (ie, Bosh and Jack).

Nash may not want playoff glory. Or else he would have demanded a trade prior to this season. I've read numerous reports stating that Nash is not going to leave Phoenix unless management wants him to leave. Management will not let him go either so it's not going to happen. Nash is a very rare breed. If he wins a championship it would be with Phoenix.. to win with another team is not the same. I think he gets that. Toronto is a strong possibility because its home. That might mean more to him than a championship with a team that is not Phoenix.

Calderon is a good player and his contract next year will be on its final year. That may make him very valuable, especially to a contender who can afford him for one season. As Matt indicated, LAL makes a lot of sense. The TPE they got for Odom may cover his salary (although I'm not 100% sure on that). I can also see teams like Memphis, NY, OKC, Miami, Utah, or NO asking about him.. all these teams could use a PG, or a good backup PG to help them get over the top.

Dragic is a poor man's Calderon. I'd pass on him unless he comes in as a rental (eg, 1 year). I see him as a backup PG, not a starter. I'd rather have Calderon for one last season than Dragic for multiple seasons, even though Calderon is older and would make more money.

D Will is a pipe dream. Only way he would move teams is if he can play with a star as well. There is a better chance of Orlando signing D Will simply so he can play with Howard then there is Toronto getting him. But if I had to take a guess, I'd think Dallas would be the team he signs with next year. Dallas will have cap space, a championship pedigree and a stud in Dirk. Dallas will either get Howard or DWill - I'm thinking DWill, with Howard going to LAL.

I'd love D.Will or Westbrook. Maynor is out for the year though, and therefore OKC will keep Westbrook for the year at least. After the season is over, if OKC has problems with Durant/Westbrook, then there could be a lot of teams in the equation for Westbrook - and Toronto would be a hard sell for a guy like him. We'd have the money and assets I think that OKC would want for a sign and trade, but it all depends on Westbrook if he'd want to play here, and if Maynor can come back healthy.

Comment

LA's TPE is not large enough it Is only $8.9M

Comment

Repost from the jose topic

The way i see it the raps aren't too far off from contending. If i was BC, id package barbosa/bayless and a protected 2013 draft pick and a second rounder or cash at the deadline for a second draft pick for 2012. Prolly with a "win-now" team that needs scoring off the bench.

Id like to draft barnes depending on where we end up at the end of this season, but its obvious our biggest need is a wing. Id use the second pick on kybongo.

this offseason id sign nash to a 2-3 yr contract, 8-9mil/yr which is more than fair considering his age. He's said he'd play in toronto.

Furthermore, id sign oj mayo as a free agent for 6-7mil/yr over 2 yrs to back demar.

With valencius in the fold and a pg duo of nash/calderon running the team, we'd be a contending team esp the second unit. Kybongo would learn from the best and provide insurance for any injuries to nash/calderon.

PG - nash/calderon/kybongo
        SG - derozan/mayo/scrub
        SF - barnes/j. johnson/ kleiza ( if not amnestied..but i wouldnt for jonas' sake)
        PF - bargnani/davis
        C - valenciunus/a. johnson/maglore

Roster would total roughly 70-78 mil..7-8th overall in the nba.

Lets not forget the canadian factor this would bring to the team as well

Comment

I'd just like to point out that we won't have $20 million in cap space unless we amnesty Calderon or Bargnani.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            I'd just like to point out that we won't have $20 million in cap space unless we amnesty Calderon or Bargnani.
            Partially accurate but it would not require punting Calderon or Bargnani. Current commitment for next year is $41 and thereby ~$17M. By amnesty clause of Bargnani or Calderon that leaves $27M+ open to current year's cap assuming no increase in cap numbers. This does not include the cap hold for Val of course at another $3M.

Comment

Or make a trade for an expiring contract or to a team with cap space to absorb a contract.

Comment

Westbrook is such a mystery. On one hand, he's a bit of a headcase but I kind of understand why? It's hard to explain. The thing is he's so unique and can do things no one else in the league can do from a athleticism standpoint AND he's still really young. I get why OKC would want to trade/let him walk but I think he's a player that's worth the risk for a team such as ours.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                  Westbrook is such a mystery. On one hand, he's a bit of a headcase but I kind of understand why? It's hard to explain. The thing is he's so unique and can do things no one else in the league can do from a athleticism standpoint AND he's still really young. I get why OKC would want to trade/let him walk but I think he's a player that's worth the risk for a team such as ours.
                  He'd fit in with the SoCal guys on our team (Demar, Amir), but I'm betting that OKC would want a pretty hefty haul in return. I mean, I'd like to have Westbrook on our team, but at what price?

Comment

I'd say "listen, we like Westbrook. Big Val and the 2012 pick are off the table, see anything you like?"

Worst case scenario they say no. But what about Davis and DeMar (s+t I think?) for him? I'd think about it.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                      I'd say "listen, we like Westbrook. Big Val and the 2012 pick are off the table, see anything you like?"

Worst case scenario they say no. But what about Davis and DeMar (s+t I think?) for him? I'd think about it.
                      I don't know if they'd want Demar with Harden in place at the 2-guard, but it's all about collecting assets. I think the 1st rounder would be in play, as would Bargnani. That's a steep price.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                        Partially accurate but it would not require punting Calderon or Bargnani. Current commitment for next year is $41 and thereby ~$17M. By amnesty clause of Bargnani or Calderon that leaves $27M+ open to current year's cap assuming no increase in cap numbers. This does not include the cap hold for Val of course at another $3M.
                        But the $41M is committed to just 9 players (including the options on Bayless and Alabi). Adding $3M for Valanciunas, plus another $3M for our 2012 pick, brings us to $47M on 11 players.

Assuming we sign 3 more players to minimum 1 year deals (at $1.35M each), that brings us to $51M.

This only leaves us with $7-10M in cap space for one significant free agent splash (depending on what the cap is set at next year). And considering guys like Nene and Marc Gasol signed at $13M, we would need to amnesty Calderon in order to sign a noteworthy free agent.

Or, like Matt said, trade for expiring contracts.

Saying goodbye to Bayless and Alabi saves about $5M too.
                        Last edited by Nilanka; Mon Jan 9, 2012, 11:28 AM.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Another draft option outside of Kabongo/Marshall could be Damian Lillard. He's slotted for 24th in DraftExpress, and 34th (2nd round, 4th pick) in NBADraft.net.

I'm not sure on his play making skills, but is apparently good in pick and rolls, and has a very good shot. He is a top scorer but doesn't really play for a reputable school. He could end up being this year's Kemba.

I'm personally not sold on him, but he'd be an option for our 2nd rounder if we can't get Kabongo.
                          That's a name I was going to bring up here too. I voted for Jose for 2012 but we use our 1st rounder on a SF (MKG hopefully) and our 2nd rounder (might need to jump a few spots but not as much as for Kabongo) on Lillard as a developing heir.

Comment

But the $41M is committed to just 9 players (including the options on Bayless and Alabi). Adding $3M for Valanciunas, plus another $3M for our 2012 pick, brings us to $47M on 11 players.

Assuming we sign 3 more players to minimum 1 year deals (at $1.35M each), that brings us to $51M.

This only leaves us with $7-10M in cap space for one significant free agent splash (depending on what the cap is set at next year). And considering guys like Nene and Marc Gasol signed at $13M, we would need to amnesty Calderon in order to sign a noteworthy free agent.

Or, like Matt said, trade for expiring contracts.

Saying goodbye to Bayless and Alabi saves about $5M too.
                            Very simply stating: you sign those min contracts AFTER your free agents. You still have that available cap room.

Comment

I don't think there are any likely guys who would be a clear upgrade over Jose. he knows the system and is one of our best players. We should be spending our FA money at small forward.

Comment

Remember the most severe aspects of the luxury penalty don't kick in immediately so Raps could over spend a little or take on a larger contract for a couple of years without it costing them too badly. With attendance down this year, the new owners might okay it to bring the fans back.

Comment

Working...
                                X