Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo
    replied
    The point made about questioning likelihood of Ed Davis accepting a long term bench role is a good point. We know Amir is down for that but the jury is out on Ed. I just remember back to d-league when he was complaining about his hotel room. If you read into that you might say he seems to have strong expectations as to who he is as a professional and how he should be treated but then again it's not fair to go there on such limited info. His father Terry had no problems coming off the bench but Ed has more potential than Terry.

Leave a comment:

• big_chris
    replied
    I think we'll just end up trading whoever gets us the most value. Being the youngest, and on his rookie deal, Ed makes the most sense today, to trade 7 - 12 months from now. Lot can change between now and then.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    Thaddeus Young commanded around $8.5M/yr over five years with no mightier a resume. I think Philly overpaid. I think $7M/yr is fair for Batum given his abilities, his age and upside. He might be had at less than that, I don't know but what I feel is that he could live up to a $7M/yr contract.
    I think that is reasonable and along the lines of what I was thinking.

Afflalo signed for a little over $8M per season. I think that is also comparable.

Anything over $8M and I would be worried.

Leave a comment:

• gclark
    replied
    Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    Call me crazy, but I think its still a little too premature to write off Ed just yet. Let him get a full season under his belt and some experience before we start proposing to ship him out. JMO!
    I don't think anyone is writing off big Eddy yet. Selling either Ed or Amir while their stock is high at the same time of a log jam can help spread the wealth to other weaker areas, such as the wing... maybe the point.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Davis is a better prospect than most guys in this 2012 draft class. He was an absolute steal. He's still very young and he has real NBA experience. There is no guessing about how he can handle himself in the NBA, he's proven he can do it. There's less guessing with him than on most of those guys in the lotto. For that reason I feel teams in the lotto will still be interested.

Leave a comment:

• octothorp
    replied
    I wonder if the upcoming PF-heavy draft negatively affects Ed Davis's trade value; a lot of rebuilding teams might think they can do better holding onto even a mid-lottery pick rather than going after a guy like Davis. I think Davis is a better prospect than guys like Henson, Young, T. Jones, and Zeller, but a lot of teams might not see it that way. If it comes to draft day and we can flip Ed Davis for a pick that gets us Kabongo, I'd do it in a heartbeat, (and I think it could be a good trade for a team that has playing time for Ed, too).

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Matt52 wrote: View Post
    What do you think is a reasonable contract for Batum - forgetting about having to overpay to get him as RFA - just what do you think is a fair salary for him in comparison to the league.

Thaddeus Young commanded around $8.5M/yr over five years with no mightier a resume. I think Philly overpaid. I think $7M/yr is fair for Batum given his abilities, his age and upside. He might be had at less than that, I don't know but what I feel is that he could live up to a $7M/yr contract.

Leave a comment:

• MangoKid
    replied
    I think they're also debating as to what to do with Gerald Wallace who can opt out of his contract at season's end, so that plays a bit part of what they'll do with Batum.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Source: csnnw.com

Of course he wants a lot more PT. He can see other examples around the league of young guys who were limited due to team depth, only to explode on a team that truly needed them. Batum is going to get paid whether it's in Portland or not. Batum isn't exactly close to legitimately contending in Portland given their current roster so staying to be competitive isn't really that big of a factor. He could come to a team like the Raptors for example and get huge minutes and as a key component to their success. If the Raptors can't get their wing in the draft or they opt for a PG then I could see Colangelo make a hard play for Batum. He brings perimeter scoring, he's long and athletic and he plays good defense. He's a breakout waiting to happen and the Blazer don't have the minutes to keep him happy it would seem(a little over 22 MPG so far this season).

Then factor in that Oden will be an unrestricted free agent this coming off-season, Camby's deal expires at the end of the season, Thomas' deal expires at the end of the season and both are in the twilight of their careers right now anyway. The Blazers are in need of a young, capable big man to log minutes and either Amir or Ed would be an excellent option for them.
    What do you think is a reasonable contract for Batum - forgetting about having to overpay to get him as RFA - just what do you think is a fair salary for him in comparison to the league.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    It has to be Batum

Right, and it's a good risk to take right now given that the Raptors aren't ready for the spotlight yet.

I'm not sure what the Raptors go looking for but let me toss out a list of names to stir the pot.
    • Nicolas Batum
    • Danilo Gallinari
    • Chase Budinger
    • Al-Farouq Aminu
    • Dorell Wright
    Disclaimer: I'm not recommending any of these just yet, just looking for reactions.

The Portland Trail Blazers forward Nicolas Batum is up for an extension and says that money won't be the ultimate factor in making his decision.

Batum joined the set of Rip City Live on Comcast SportsNet Northwest, and said he's a basketball player first and playing time would be the main factor in signing an extension.
    The Blazers have until Jan. 25 to sign Batum to an extension, if an agreement is not reached by then, Batum will become a restricted free agent at season's end.
    Source: csnnw.com

Of course he wants a lot more PT. He can see other examples around the league of young guys who were limited due to team depth, only to explode on a team that truly needed them. Batum is going to get paid whether it's in Portland or not. Batum isn't exactly close to legitimately contending in Portland given their current roster so staying to be competitive isn't really that big of a factor. He could come to a team like the Raptors for example and get huge minutes and as a key component to their success. If the Raptors can't get their wing in the draft or they opt for a PG then I could see Colangelo make a hard play for Batum. He brings perimeter scoring, he's long and athletic and he plays good defense. He's a breakout waiting to happen and the Blazer don't have the minutes to keep him happy it would seem(a little over 22 MPG so far this season).

Then factor in that Oden will be an unrestricted free agent this coming off-season, Camby's deal expires at the end of the season, Thomas' deal expires at the end of the season and both are in the twilight of their careers right now anyway. The Blazers are in need of a young, capable big man to log minutes and either Amir or Ed would be an excellent option for them.

Leave a comment:

• Afro_Daddy
    replied
    why trade either? we have JV coming next year, and probably a good pick this year. unless a trade you cant say no to comes by that nets us a Star Pg/Sf, i say move AB

C. JV/amir/gray/alibi
    PF. AB/ed/amir
    SF.draft and/or free agency
    SG. DD
    PG.?/calderon?/bayless/free agency

Leave a comment:

• enlightenment
    replied
    Bargnani should still be the one to go, the three man rotation of Ed Amir and Val in the front court keeps me happy (lots of length, rebounding heart and hustle! every shift is an adrenaline boost from these guys!) and Bargnani's trade value is probably as high as its going to be through out his career. Trade bargnani while he's playing really well, get a real stud at the 3, and Im ecstatic!

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    ceez wrote: View Post
    The floating Doc Naismith head saying "JMO!" made me lol at work
    blaze89 wrote: View Post

edit: in response to DOC's quote lol
    Perverts ...... JMO (Just My Opinion)

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    However during the draft, I'd love to see some movement. Preferably Bargnani first because I think his game will be too similar to a SF that also needs the ball in his hands to make a play.
    Meh, put them on opposite sides of the floor or run a 2-man game with them. Bargs is good in pick and roll with a quality ball handler. If anything, having another effective scorer and creator on the floor would benefit Bargs as the defense couldn't key on him so much. If Lebron, Wade and Bosh can share the ball, I am sure a rookie and Bargnani can, too.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    I agree. No reason why anything has to be done this season. Of the three, I'd say Davis is the one that is being penalized the most since he plays only about 18-20 mpg, and plays with inferior talent. However no reason why anything has to be done now. However if there is an opportunity for a huge asset to come back (unconditional lottery pick, another stud), then I'm all in. But the chances of that are slim until the draft.

However during the draft, I'd love to see some movement. Preferably Bargnani first because I think his game will be too similar to a SF that also needs the ball in his hands to make a play. I think it would be difficult to give up Amir. No one is irreplaceable, but if Amir is dealt we better get some really good long term assets in return for him. For example, I'd take Amir over Kabongo.

A player like MKG next to Bargnani could make both players look really good if his college game transfer to the pro's.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X