Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tonious35
    replied
    There are times I watched old (really I mean 1998-2003) NBA footages I hear Devlin's voice at the play-by-play. He's not that bad at all. Don't you hear this guy during TNT playoffs? He sounds like he does have some place in the broadcast booth. The problem to the fact is that Devlin is announcing for a losing team that has taken such a bad turn with bad management and undertalented/Low IQ roster.

Also Devlin is paired with colour-analysts that are not as talented or do not have as much likeness as the US broadcasts (even though I like Jack Armstrong still, and Reggie Miller sucks on TNT...but he's comically bad). Leo sucks as usual, and it hurts more that he's failed and alienated our Team Canada Basketball Roster and still has a colour-commentating job.

Leave a comment:

• ceez
    replied
    Only commentator I like is Jack. It used to crack me up how mad he'd get at Villeneuva.

Devlin doesn't actually bother me, he's like background noise. He doesn't add anything to the game but he doesn't really do anything that detracts from it either.

Leo on the other hand...

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    I can't stand Devlin. He seems like one of those guys that was never into sports, but wished he was, so he chased a dream of becoming a sports broadcaster. I admire his ambition, but I can't help but feel as though he doesn't really 'get' what happens on the court, due to a lack of first-hand experience.

In his defense, Leo and Jack are complete morons. Leo is a self-righteous ass and Jack seems to have gotten even more senile this offseason. They know basketball without a doubt, but they ramble way too much. Devlin isn't a strong/confident enough personality to keep them on point. There are stretches of the game when they will go on for several minutes about Leo's team-Canada exploits, Jack's lack of modern technology, the need to find a new song, or other such drivel.

I personally don't want sports broadcasters to tell me about themselves, try to be comedians, spout off about a certain player's university days or do anything other than call an unbiased game. Please just make the unbiased play-by-play entertaining and get into it - nothing more, nothing less! My honest fear is that this season (and last year for sure), the broadcasters (TSN/SN/SCORE) have told them to try and be more entertaining, due to the terrible Raptors team on the court. I wish they wouldn't resort to pandering to the casual fan in this regard, if it is truly the case.

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    Those Celtics guys I really can't stand. No foul called against the celtics is correct and all fouls called on the celtics are 'ridiculous'. I really can't listen to them. Primary reason I'm glad the Celtics don't go all the way. Give me Hubie Brown anyday, it's like he sees the game in slowmotion (at his age!); he's almost always right and if he isn't he simply says something like 'let's look at the replay here'. I've been baffled many times when he instantly correctly judges a play or a call by a referee and tells exactly what happened even when it's happening at the other side of the court.
    Agreed. Hubie is one of the all-time best (in any sport).

Leave a comment:

• Soft Euro
    replied
    NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Matt devlin isn't as bad as some PBP commentators i've heard. the celtics, the bulls, the heat.
    Those Celtics guys I really can't stand. No foul called against the celtics is correct and all fouls called on the celtics are 'ridiculous'. I really can't listen to them. Primary reason I'm glad the Celtics don't go all the way. Give me Hubie Brown anyday, it's like he sees the game in slowmotion (at his age!); he's almost always right and if he isn't he simply says something like 'let's look at the replay here'. I've been baffled many times when he instantly correctly judges a play or a call by a referee and tells exactly what happened even when it's happening at the other side of the court.

Leave a comment:

• NoPropsneeded
    replied
    Matt devlin isn't as bad as some PBP commentators i've heard. the celtics, the bulls, the heat.

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    yertu damkule wrote: View Post
    despite his irritating nature, from what i've heard, devlin does know a lot about basketball. not sure why it doesn't translate to his PbB commentary.

oh, and my newest favourite devlinism is from sat., when he mentioned (in reference to barbosa) in the 3rd Q how the raptors need to 'feed the hot hand.' i believe barbosa was 5/15 at the time (SCORCHING), but had just hit a layup, so...

anyway, devlin's an all-time great raptor just for 'what in the world are you doing, will solomon'
    lol, I think I remember that call. It was vs. Orlando, and Soloman had just dribbled right into Howard, jumped without knowing whether to pass or shoot, and promptly turned the ball over into Howard's waiting hands.

This after everyone was hyping up Soloman as the Euro League MVP (a.k.a. the next Anthony Parker).

Leave a comment:

• yertu damkule
    replied
    OTFP wrote: View Post
    He knows so fucking little about basketball it infuriates me when he has no fucking clue what just happened on the court.
    He misses blocked shots. He has no idea who the ball went out on. He doesn't know who tipped it in. He doesn't know what the violation was (travel, etc) so he just says turnover. Do you not see the fucking ref telling you what the violation was you jackass?

They should let Jack do the game by himself and he can talk or not talk as much as he wants and that would be goddamn interesting.
    despite his irritating nature, from what i've heard, devlin does know a lot about basketball. not sure why it doesn't translate to his PbB commentary.

oh, and my newest favourite devlinism is from sat., when he mentioned (in reference to barbosa) in the 3rd Q how the raptors need to 'feed the hot hand.' i believe barbosa was 5/15 at the time (SCORCHING), but had just hit a layup, so...

anyway, devlin's an all-time great raptor just for 'what in the world are you doing, will solomon'

Leave a comment:

• draftedraptor
    replied
    Jack must get a bonus every time he says 'Andrea'. He loves talking about Bargnani's involvement even when Bargnani had very little do with the play.

Leave a comment:

• OTFP
    replied
    He knows so fucking little about basketball it infuriates me when he has no fucking clue what just happened on the court.
    He misses blocked shots. He has no idea who the ball went out on. He doesn't know who tipped it in. He doesn't know what the violation was (travel, etc) so he just says turnover. Do you not see the fucking ref telling you what the violation was you jackass?

They should let Jack do the game by himself and he can talk or not talk as much as he wants and that would be goddamn interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Lark Benson
    replied
    What I'd like to know is whether Devlin is really that corny in real life or just when he puts that headset on. Because man, he just reminds me of that one so-wholesome-it's-creepy type in everyone's life. I always think people like that are hiding something. I'd expect to find him volunteering at a church potluck, joking around with the senior citizens.

Leave a comment:

• hotfuzz
    replied
    Andrea bargnana!!!

Leave a comment:

• LBF
    started a topic Everything Devlin

Everything Devlin

In spite of the "everything Bargnani" thread and because Devlin creeps everyone the frig out. I decided to make this thread, it's only a matter of time where we get another interview like "ball" or Devlin says something totally random again like "Punjabi!" and we all piss ourselves.

So, although this might be the dumbest thread ever, like the raptors it has potential.Discuss anything about raptors broadcasters or interviews, good or bad, anything and everything about it/them. Whether it be Devlin,Leo,Jack, Grange,etc.

I'd like to start off with I never thought tim and Sid would creep me out until hearing Devlin say their names in a promo, it makes me cringe everytime I hear it.
Working...
X