Barbosa'a trade value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbosa'a trade value?

For the season he is averaging 12.6 ppg on 43.2% from the field (36.4 from 3), but his last 5 games he is putting up 18.6 ppg on 49.4% from the field and 47% from 3.

He has over 60 games of play-off experience and is a proven scorer off the bench.

Is his 7.6 million expiring deal more valuable just coming off the books, or would taking back longer term deal and a first round draft pick worth it? Could we even get a player and pick?

EDIT: I realise there is a Barbosa to the lakers trade thread, but wanted to get a little more discussion on weather the cap relief is better than a trade, or if there are other scenarios out there.
    Last edited by WJF; Tue Jan 17, 2012, 10:30 AM.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

I think getting a 1st rounder for Barbosa is unlikely.

DraftExpress has Myck Kabonga currently slated as the 26th pick. If I was a GM, I would much rather take a chance on Kabongo, rather than trade the pick for Barbosa, who's definitely on the down side of his career, isn't a good defender, isn't an efficient scorer, and isn't guaranteed to re-sign at season's end. I don't think his last 5 games affects his value at all, especially when you consider he's getting more minutes because Bayless has been injured.

Comment

I think you could certainly get a first rounder for him. There's bound to be some team come trade deadline who desperately needs scoring off the bench and are willing to throw a late first rounder our way if it means it ups their odds on winning a championship.

Barbosa to the lakers just makes too much sense.
      Bulls too.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        I think getting a 1st rounder for Barbosa is unlikely.

DraftExpress has Myck Kabonga currently slated as the 26th pick. If I was a GM, I would much rather take a chance on Kabongo, rather than trade the pick for Barbosa, who's definitely on the down side of his career, isn't a good defender, isn't an efficient scorer, and isn't guaranteed to re-sign at season's end. I don't think his last 5 games affects his value at all, especially when you consider he's getting more minutes because Bayless has been injured.
        Myck Kabongo isn't going to put a contending team over the top - Barbosa just might.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          Myck Kabongo isn't going to put a contending team over the top - Barbosa just might.
          I'm not sold he is a one and done player. An extra year to work on his body and improve his shooting would not be a bad thing. What would be even better for him would be to have J'covan Brown leave after his junior year.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
            I'm not sold he is a one and done player. An extra year to work on his body and improve his shooting would not be a bad thing. What would be even better for him would be to have J'covan Brown leave after his junior year.
            I was replying to Nilanka's post about Kabongo. A GM picking 26th usually has a very good team. If he has no depth or a need at SG, then I don't see him looking to keep a late first round draft pick. The window of opportunity in pro sports is not always open. Most late first round draft picks are not going to amount to much - of course there are always exceptions which we can all rattle off.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              I was replying to Nilanka's post about Kabongo. A GM picking 26th usually has a very good team. If he has no depth or a need at SG, then I don't see him looking to keep a late first round draft pick. The window of opportunity in pro sports is not always open. Most late first round draft picks are not going to amount to much - of course there are always exceptions which we can all rattle off.
              I was agreeing with you, I guess I just failed to make that clear.
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I was agreeing with you, I guess I just failed to make that clear.
                Oh.... haha, sorry.

Comment

Why would J'covan Brown leave Texas after this season? He's the best player on the current team, he's not very high on anybody's NBA radar, a group of highly touted bigs are coming to the U of T program next season, and he is having his best season season by far production wise.

Comment

I'm working under the assumption that any 1st round pick in 2012 will be more valuable than previous years simply because of the anticipated quality and depth of the draft.

Comment

Barbosa is an expiring contract, so while he'll be a good rental for a playoff run by a team with a chance to go all the way, I don't think he'll net much in return for the Raptors. That's not to say I wouldn't do a deal, but you have to be careful that you're not taking something back that's not going to be as useful in the longer term as having the $7.5M this summer.
                      Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

If the Bulls could get a late first rounder for James Johnson, then I see no reason why we can't get a late first rounder for Leandro Barbosa. I think there will be teams in March who are either on the cusp of playoffs or teams that are contenders who suffer an inconvenient injury that will look to crappy teams such as ours looking for some help.
                        your pal,
                        ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                          If the Bulls could get a late first rounder for James Johnson, then I see no reason why we can't get a late first rounder for Leandro Barbosa. I think there will be teams in March who are either on the cusp of playoffs or teams that are contenders who suffer an inconvenient injury that will look to crappy teams such as ours looking for some help.
                          Different scenario. We got JJ on his rookie contract, from a Chicago team trying to shed salary in order to add a SG who could play meaningful minutes on a playoff team. Toronto basically traded a cheap young player for a cheap young player. Chicago didn't take on 7.5M in salary that year. Teams aren't going to mortgage their future for a couple of months of Barbosa. They'll take him if they can get him cheap, but if it means giving up a top draft pick, I don't think it's going to happen unless there are ulterior motives like in the Chicago/JJ deal.
                          Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

The one thing that is very plausible is that Bryan holds on to Barbosa until the end of the year, and then gets resigned for somewhere around $4-5M/year. If Bryan cannot get a PG and if Bayless is on the way out, Bryan may want to hold on to Barbosa as a backup PG/SG that can provide some veteran leadership to a young team.

I'm not sure what Barbosa would be looking for as a free agent. He seems to like Toronto and if Bryan is a fan of his, then he may just be a part of the build. Plus he would be a good bargaining chip for Nash, if Bryan wanted to try and get Nash over for his last few years.

Just something to think about.

Comment

He won't go for a first rounder...teams are going to want to keep their first round picks because there are some really good players even into the second round this year. If they could somehow pry a first rounder from Boston, Chicago or Orlando that would be awesome. But I really feel like under the new CBA and because its the best draft in years, teams will keep later picks more than usual.

that being said, I think he could bring back a mid second rounder and a prospect that hasn't had a good run on a contender. EX/ Boston Celtics trade Avery Bradley and a second rounder for Barbosa. Chicago sends Jon Lucas or CJ Watson or Ronnie Brewer and a second rounder, Orlando sends a couple second rounders.

Comment

Working...
                              X