Barbosa'a trade value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ Maleko

Thanks for clearing up my limited knowledge in regard to the Lakers' SG situation.

'No, cap space is sufficient." Doesn't the trading partner have to send either a TPE or salary to match (within X%)?

I'm sure there's other details of trade rules I may not be completely clear on, and there may well be some scenario with a team that makes some sense in a trade of an asset like Barbosa, but at the end of the day, I still think my original point stands: Very limited opportunities (if any) to get something of greater value than the $ flex. to the organization that Barbosa represents. Collangelo has been pretty creative with trades though, so who knows?

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
      Hey Matt,
      I understand you're just speculating, but though I have precious little knowledge of how TPEs work, I found the 3 possibilities you raised interesting. I finally found the time to have a look at those three teams in light of my original post about needing stars aligning (injury for example?), blah, blah.

Keep in mind that when the playoffs roll around the bench gets shortened. Just saying. And also keep in mind that LB is good for nothing more than a high energy, often black hole, SG off the bench. Both teams he's played for have tried him for small doses at PG, at it really doesn't work for more than a possession or two.

IND- If there's one position the Pacers are strong/deep in, besides 6'9" role players, it's SGs. As long as George and Hill are healthy, I would think it highly unlikely that they want to give up anything to rent LB. In the meantime, they have Jones and the Stephenson kid working with the team all year. If there's anywhere they may be looking to shore up it would be SF, or C.
      Just my impression, not having followed the team very much. Is cap space enough to trade a player straight up? I thought you need close to matching salaries (plus TPE) to do a trade.
      DEN- As long as they have Afflalo starting and Fernandez (taller, better version of LB) to come off the bench, they've no need for LB
      LAL- I guess the most likely of the 3. I don't know what they think of this Morris kid (the only SG backup they have, so maybe he's the injured star that aligns), but as long as they have Kobe going into the playoffs, I would think that LBs game is useless to them when Kobe's playing the 3 spot, and I have doubts that they feel they need LB, with his game, when Kobe is sitting for his brief spells during playoffs. I could be wrong. the other thing on the lakers minds may be that they're getting old, and sooner or later better start getting younger. trading Morris and/or draft picks in this draft may not be in their interests unless dire need for LB.

All-in-all, as I said, I don't see there aren many scenarios out there that someone would want LB rental for the playoffs, and what they want to offer outweighs the $ flex that he gives the Raps. Nice dream to get a 1st round pick in a deep draft, but that's all it may be, imo.
      You asked originally if such a pick could be available. I gave the three examples of teams with likely late first round draft picks available that could facilitate such a deal. It was total speculation on my part which I stated.

As for Indiana, they would not have to send back ANY salary whatsoever as they have cap space. They do have to send something back though so it could be a draft pick in the first round or something ridiculous like a top 55 protected draft pick (which you see many bottom feeders send out because both sides know it will never happen).

Denver, you raise good points. Denver might not have the need or desire for Barbo. However, for the record, I'd take Barbosa over Fernandez any day. Rudy is also currently injured.

Maleko summed up LAL pretty nicely. One thing to add would be Barbosa could easily play on the floor with Kobe. Barbosa can stick the spot up three and score fast points in transition. With the reserves LA has at SG, he would be a good addition in my opinion. Keeping draft picks and young players is not something I see the Lakers worrying about at this time. Kobe is 33 with a lot of miles on him. Winning is the number one priority as his window is closing. When you are paying Kobe $30M a year next year, you're not worrying about 3 years down the road, in my opinion.

Like I said though, it is all speculation on my part. Clearly I have no idea what franchises are thinking.

Comment

@ Maleko

Thanks for clearing up my limited knowledge in regard to the Lakers' SG situation.

'No, cap space is sufficient." Doesn't the trading partner have to send either a TPE or salary to match (within X%)?

I'm sure there's other details of trade rules I may not be completely clear on, and there may well be some scenario with a team that makes some sense in a trade of an asset like Barbosa, but at the end of the day, I still think my original point stands: Very limited opportunities (if any) to get something of greater value than the $ flex. to the organization that Barbosa represents. Collangelo has been pretty creative with trades though, so who knows?
        Trading partners only have to worry about percentages if both teams are over the salary cap.

Over salary cap but under luxury tax is 150% or $5M difference, whatever is smaller.
        Over luxury tax, 125% + 100k *as before*
        Under soft cap, no rules as long as salary absorbed under soft cap and this is where the TPE comes from - free salary cap space going from one team to another.

Comment

I think he may have more value as an expiring contract. The tax becomes quite prohibitive after next season, some cap teams may want to start positioning themselves to reduce payroll.

Comment

There's a big difference between a late 1st rounder in a very shallow draft and one in a very deep draft. There's also a big difference between getting a young prospect with skills found lacking on your team and you think you can groom into a long term asset, and an older, well defined limited dimension rental that most teams don't have a need for.
            .. which is why I mentioned contenders who suffer an inconvenient injury.
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

As has been noted, Barbosa has value as both a player (offense off the bench) and as an expiring contract. The fact that his deal expires after this season is a benefit, not a hindrance to many teams, especially those that are looking to make a splash in free agency.

For the Raptors, I think they have an interesting question hanging over them. Would they be better potentially taking salary to gain some draft picks (the higher the better), or should they attempt to shed salary to be able to play in the free agent market? I think it depends on whether they think that they can attract a top-grade free agent that can form part of their core going forward.

Comment

Working...
              X