Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting C in 2012-13

Do you think JV should start next year?

If no, who do you think should be a target to start?

Free agent targets would include:

Center
    (name, team – 2011-12 salary – status)

Dwight Howard, Orlando Magic – $18.1 million – Early Termination Option ($19.5 million)
    Roy Hibbert, Indiana Pacers – $2.6 million – Restricted ($3.7 million Qualifying Offer)
    Andrew Bynum, L.A. Lakers – $14.9 million – Team Option ($16.1 million)
    Brook Lopez, New Jersey Nets – $3.1 million – Restricted ($4.2 million Qualifying Offer)
    Chris Kaman, New Orleans Hornets – $12.7 million – Unrestricted
    Greg Monroe, Detroit Pistons – $3.0 million – Team Option ($3.2 million)
    JaVale McGee, Washington Wizards – $2.5 million – Restricted ($3.5 million Qualifying Offer)
    Marcus Camby, Portland Trail Blazers – $12.9 million – Unrestricted
    Robin Lopez, Phoenix Suns – $2.8 million – Restricted ($4.0 million Qualifying Offer)
    Jermaine O’Neal, Boston Celtics – $6.2 million – Unrestricted
    Nazr Mohammed, Oklahoma City Thunder – $3.8 million – Unrestricted
    Omer Asik, Chicago Bulls – $1.9 million – Unrestricted*
    Semih Erden, Cleveland Cavaliers – $0.8 million – Unrestricted*
    Ben Wallace, Detroit Pistons – $2.2 million – Unrestricted
    Mehmet Okur, New Jersey Nets – $10.9 million – Unrestricted
    Daniel Orton, Orlando Magic – $1.1 million – Team Option ($1.2 million)
    Solomon Alabi, Toronto Raptors – $0.8 million – Team Option ($0.9 million)
    Hasheem Thabeet, Houston Rockets – $5.1 million – Team Option ($6.5 million)
    Kosta Koufos, Denver Nuggets – $2.2 million – Restricted ($3.2 million Qualifying Offer)
    DeSagana Diop, Charlotte Bobcats – $6.9 million – Player Option ($7.4 million)
    Ryan Hollins, Cleveland Cavaliers – $2.5 million – Unrestricted

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2012-nba-free-agents
    Yes
    88.89%
    No
    11.11%

D.Howard... LOL

realisticly if JV's game translates well in the NBA right away hell be logging big minutes so maybe signing a Ben wallace as a backup would do.. hes always played pretty good D over the years. hed be a huge upgrade from Magloire

Comment

Bigs take a little time to acclimate ... never good to throw a rookie big out there to get eaten alive off the bat. It may be better to ease him in from a bench role for a month or two - see how he manages.

As for the free agent list, i'd scratch Dwight, Hibbert, Bynum, Lopez, and Monroe off the list of realistic targets ... most will be back with their clubs, and Dwight isn't coming here. Maybe Kaman or Camby - but how much do we want to pay for the C position with Jonas waiting in the wings?

I'd say a stopgap like Amir or some Magloire/Gray equivalent to shoulder some load to help transition Jonas.
      The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Actually, I read somewhere the nets weren't going to re-up brook. But anyways, I have a feeling JV will be starting sooner than later so you're better off signing a rotational guy. I like Camby even tho he'll be 50 next year. He'd be a good teacher and influence for JV and the rest of the team.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Amir. If JV can earn starting minutes above him then it's fine. I don't see Amir playing 15 minutes only as PF under Bargs, it would be waste of him. The same as this year, just JV instead of Gray/Magloire looks fine to me.

Comment

I think that Gray may be the guy going forward if he shows anything the rest of the season. He would be pretty cheap, he would know our offensive and defensive sets, and he seems like a good locker room guy. Starts and plays the first 4 minutes or so of th 1st and 3rd quarter, then gets back in due foul trouble or is replaced by Amir in the rotation.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Solomon Alabi. Thread closed.

Comment

Definitely start Valanciunas from day 1. Prized rookies don't need to be approached delicately. Valanciunas is a gamer, and has been playing against grown men for years. He'll struggle at times (like all rookies do), but he'll be just fine in the starter's role.

Save our cap space for a free agent SG/SF.

Comment

I wouldn't mind Valanciunas starting, but I see Asik is unrestricted. He is an interesting player, who I'd like the Raptors to at least consider.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                    I wouldn't mind Valanciunas starting, but I see Asik is unrestricted. He is an interesting player, who I'd like the Raptors to at least consider.
                    And whom Casey said could be a starter in this league when they played Chicago. Just based on his comments DC might be speaking to BC about getting him.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                      And whom Casey said could be a starter in this league when they played Chicago. Just based on his comments DC might be speaking to BC about getting him.
                      If there is actual interest in Asik, that instantly makes 2 of Amir/Davis/Bargnani expendable. I don't see the point in having any more than 3 bigs capable of playing 30 mpg. Our 4th big should be a 14th/15th man (like Gray, Magloire, or Alabi).

My ideal scenario is to have your starting PF, and your starting C playing 35mpg, and your backup big playing both positions at 25 mpg. The 4th big is reserved for garbage time only.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        If there is actual interest in Asik, that instantly makes 2 of Amir/Davis/Bargnani expendable. I don't see the point in having any more than 3 bigs capable of playing 30 mpg. Our 4th big should be a 14th/15th man (like Gray, Magloire, or Alabi).

My ideal scenario is to have your starting PF, and your starting C playing 35mpg, and your backup big playing both positions at 25 mpg. The 4th big is reserved for garbage time only.
                        I don't see the logic in your rotational ideas. I would say it's all situational.

A 3 man big rotation is very fragile. Just look at Memphis with 2/3 out with injuries. I also see nothing wrong with a 4 man rotation regardless of injury-risk. Like e.g. Asik's Bulls. If it's about salary, it would be good if one big is on a rookie salary. That has developmental and continuity advantages as well.

Comment

I don't see the logic in your rotational ideas. I would say it's all situational.

A 3 man big rotation is very fragile. Just look at Memphis with 2/3 out with injuries. I also see nothing wrong with a 4 man rotation regardless of injury-risk. Like e.g. Asik's Bulls. If it's about salary, it would be good if one big is on a rookie salary. That has developmental and continuity advantages as well.
                          Very much agree. The cheap/garbage man big is your 5th big.

Comment

Or the Raptors with Bargnani out...

Comment

Players appreciate a known pecking order. At some point, you have to stop "trying out" players, and actually establish a set rotation (with clearly defined minutes). Having 4 guys competing for 2 starting spots doesn't make sense to me, especially if all 4 guys are capable of starting.

Sure, when everything's working, we look like a deep team. But NBA players have inflated egos, and 1 of those 4 players won't be a happy camper playing spot minutes.

Comment

Working...
                              X