X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interested in Kaman?

Demps: Hornets looking to trade C Kaman

Posted Jan 27 2012 10:38PM

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- The Hornets have decided to trade Chris Kaman, who won't be playing while the club looks for teams interested in making a deal for the veteran 7-foot center, general manager Dell Demps said.

Kaman was excused from New Orleans' home game against the Orlando Magic on Friday night, and Demps, who was traveling, said in a written statement during the game that the team and Kaman "mutually decided for a number of reasons that we are not going to play Chris" while trade talks get under way.

Kaman was acquired in a multiplayer trade that sent Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Clippers shortly before the regular season began, and the 29-year-old big man has struggled to find a consistent role in New Orleans.

Kaman has started six games and played in 17, averaging 9.2 points and 6.6 rebounds. He is also in the final year of a contract that pays him about $14 million this season, making him an attractive trade target for teams looking for both an experienced center and a large expiring contract that will help clear salary cap space at the end of the season.

"We had a conversation with Chris and expressed that the Hornets are going to go in a different direction," Demps said. "Chris has been the ultimate professional during this process and we thank him for the way he has handled the situation."

Kaman was part of a trade that also brought the Hornets shooting guard Eric Gordon, second-year forward Al-Farouq Aminu and a 2012 first-round draft choice that originally belonged to Minnesota.
    What do you guys think? Is this something BC might be interested in? Thats a BIG expiring Contract.
    And what sort of package do you think it'll take to get him?

It would be nice to have that much cap space, but I dont think we go for it.
    We are not in any money problems, plus we still have amnesty if we desperatly need more cap space.

Kaman can not be traded with another player until Feb 12, so that limits us getting any young players with him.

Essentially we would be gutting our team to gamble in free agency.
    Unless we could clear enough space to sign two max players, I see no reason to gut our team.
    (Could we really do that?)

Comment

Not interested unless they throw in their pick...which they are not going to do.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        [B]

What do you guys think? Is this something BC might be interested in? Thats a BIG expiring Contract.
        And what sort of package do you think it'll take to get him?
        Well, who would a cash strapped team such as New Orleans would want from our team full of scrubs?
        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=7ac3g8s

I dont know why NO would want calderon and Klieza, but if we did this trade, by my calculations we would have around 30 mill in cap space.

Sign Gordon, Batum and Augustin?

Augustin/Forbes
          Gordon/DD
          Batum/JJ
          Bargnani/ED
          JV/Alabi

This plus our draft pick...

I know its a complete pipedream, but just imagine what the raptors could become with that much money...

Comment

nice picture and I think he really lives up to the hat. He has not figured out yet that he cannot shoot the ball.

Comment

Looks like to get Kaman they have to trade Barbosa, Ed, and their 1st round pick.... lol, no thank you.

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
              To be clear, Jazz checked on Kaman some time ago but doesn't make sense now. Detroit likes him, needs center. Most teams have found (cont.)
              WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
              (Cont.) Hornets asking price for Kaman too high. "They were asking for draft picks, cap space and a young player," one executive says.

Comment

How can you give cap space back, when that is the very reason you are trading him in the first place? The NBA needs to find a owner for this team. They shouldn't be involved in the league like this. With those trade demands Kaman is going to be sitting at home for a long time.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                  How can you give cap space back, when that is the very reason you are trading him in the first place? The NBA needs to find a owner for this team. They shouldn't be involved in the league like this. With those trade demands Kaman is going to be sitting at home for a long time.
                  By asking for cap space, I think they would mean either another expiring contract(s). The other possibility would be a TPE but I'm not aware of any team with a trade exemption large enough to take on Kaman's contract.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                    Agree.

Comment

Working...
                    X