Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wizards vs Raptors: Which team is in the better position RIGHT NOW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wizards vs Raptors: Which team is in the better position RIGHT NOW?

Source: Boston Globe

Reading through the Sunday morning headlines at HoopHype.com, I came across the above linked article. I found the comparison of the Wizards to the Raptors and Bobcats interesting. Then I wondered if it was a fair assessment.

The problem in Washington, as it is in Toronto and Charlotte, is stagnant young talent. The Wizards are filled with prospects who would likely flourish in a more refined system, but in Washington, they are like a pack of teen-agers left to fend for themselves in a teacherless classroom.
    The Raptors do have stagnant talent, I'll give the author that. DeMar and Ed have been let downs thus far. However, there is a very good teacher at the head of the class and the Raptors appear to have a matured, legit player in Bargnani.

An NBA scout who watched the Wizards said they may be the most dysfunctional young team in the league. Management is hoping the coaching change has the most effect on Wall, who has been given the mantle of team leader although he’s just three years removed from high school.

“I think for us not playing hard every night, the record we have, that puts a tough decision on the coach,’’ Wall said. “We didn’t go out there and play hard enough for him. Me and Flip had no problem. There were times when I got frustrated for not playing good. I talked to him [after the firing] and he told me the same thing - he said, ‘Just keep working hard’ - and I’m sorry that happened to him.’’
    The Wizards are looking at John Wall to lead who is just 21 and in his 2nd season in the NBA. Personally, I think this is a big part of the problem. There are very few players who ever enter the league, are expected to be the leader of the team, and actually succeed. In the past (Magic, Bird era) it was possible because the players were 3-4 years out of high school and had the experience of leading their college teams for multiple seasons. In the era of one-&-done, leadership skills are very rarely developed in one year of university and another in the NBA. High school to NCAA is a huge adjustment and then a larger adjustment is NCAA to NBA. I'm sure someone will come along and offer me an example but I think that is by far the exception to the rule.

I never thought I'd say this but it appears the Raptors not only have their franchise player but even their leader in Bargnani. He must have undergone a personality transplant this summer. Whatever happened, he is now not only the most talented player on the roster but one of the hardest working and the absolute leader of the Dwane Casey 'Buy-In Program.' I am looking forward to the Bargnani Bashers ripping me a new one on that so I will make perfectly clear this is my opinion which I feel is evident from watching the games.

Said general manager Ernie Grunfeld, “We’ve said all along it’s not about wins and losses. Eight of our players are first- and second-year players. We’re trying to build a foundation.’’
    Bolded above is what I think to be a major difference between Toronto and Washington. The Raptors have 3 players in their first or second year in the league (0 rookies and 3 second years in ED, Alabi, and Forbes {who happens to be 27 in less than a month}). The idea that adding youth and watching them grow is all you need to do is clearly not the best path to success in a timely manner (Clippers and Wolves are examples of teams who went this route and it has finally worked out but it took 5-6+ seasons while a team like Sacramento is still struggling). Quality veterans are needed as well as character guys who can contribute. Young players need to see the actions of guys who have been through the league and are still in it because they are professionals, in my opinion.

Wittman will have the rest of the season to prove he can do the job, but the Wizards have to hit a home run with their next coaching hire. They desperately need a commanding and respected coach who can hold the youngsters accountable. Those are difficult to find.
    And the above is the moneyball. However they left something out. "They desperately need a commanding and respected coach who can hold the youngsters accountable and teach them to play the game." The Raptors have that in Dwane Casey.

Personally, the only thing I think the Raptors and Wizards have in common is a sh!t record. Washington might have more 'potential' but as we are seeing with DD and ED, potential means nothing if they don't tap it.
    Washington
    19.05%
    Toronto
    80.95%
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun Jan 29, 2012, 10:44 AM.

Yep I would much rather have the Raptors squad than Washington's. Hell, I would take Charlotte's as well, although not with Jordan...

Comment

I think if Washington could have kept guys like Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler, then it would have been a totally different story for these young guys now. They would have had some solid vets to look up to for guidance, and to also take their minutes when they are acting like total Douches.

The talent level/ talent ceiling on Washington FAR excedes that of Toronto and Charlotte in my opinion.
      But as the Author points out, there is no system in place to harness those abilities and turn them into the players they SHOULD be.
      Instead of the immature losers they are.

I'd take Washingtons roster NO QUESTION if I knew Javale McGee, Nick Young and Andray Blatch wouldn't be fighting each other (and John Wall) to get a Triple Double.

When you watch teams like Denver, who play TEAM basketball, and then see Washington, its easy to see why they aren't enjoying any success. They have NO team players.
      Last edited by Joey; Sun Jan 29, 2012, 10:32 AM.

Comment

i think wall and mcgee are the only 2 keepers on that team. but mcgee has to learn to not do anything other than block shots and rebound. love walls game but it is hard for him to play halfcourt because he is so god damn fast. they need a good coach, a teacher.

i would much rather our situation over washington. charlotte isnt bad either for the future

recent exception to the rule and all rules that govern human genetics lebron

Comment

At first glance I automatically went with Toronto. I mean the cap space, the chance of a high draft pick, Bargnani as a leader, Casey preaching D, and some young talent (that has not shown up this year), it is a no brainer. It is so clear that Washington is going through "ego" problems, and they got a few crazies on that team (Blatche *cough cough*), but they has so much talent as well.

Nick Young (who has shown up this year leading the team in scoring), John Wall (16ppg and 7 assists), and Javale Mcgee (11ppg, 10rpg, and 3 bpg). All three of these guys have been developing and growing into the players they can be (which to me atleast, they have been doing), at for that reason I am taking them over the Raps (in the short term). If Washington can turn Andray Blatche into a player like Kaman (which is a possibility), and find some way to motivate or get Lewis to produce slightly more (I mean the dude is averaging 25% from behind the arc), then this team is in far better shape then they look.

Bottom line is, Washington has shown what they can be (taking down OKC and fighting past Durant and Westbrooks 69 points). Their system is flawed, and a new coach might just be what they need to shake things up.

To be honest, I like the situations both these teams are in (maybe a tad optimistic). Both teams have a future core, and some room to make some changes in the future, but I think Washington is closer to being a playoff team then Toronto right now. It really depends on what you mean as "better position". I think the Raps have a brighter future, but a longer time before the playoffs and ultimately winning.
          Last edited by Red and White; Sun Jan 29, 2012, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Compared to Washington, the Raps are waaaaaaay better for the reasons Red and White stated in his first paragraph. Don't let my Avatar fool you.
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I like to watch a lot of the teams with not so hot records just to see who might be up and coming, that and I just love watching the game.

Washington: The thing I noticed with them. When something goes wrong on the court they immediately start letting it get to them. In my non-GM opinion they need to take a more Toronto like approach. You need to surround your youth with veterans to teach them and act as an example. The only vet in Washington is an overpaid stretch four waiting out his contract so he can go to a contender

Charlotte: I've only managed to catch a few games of theirs...some of them only few quarters. But they have a good PG developing (just notched a triple double last night. Biyombo will make for an excellent energy bench guy. They got a few good trade chips and are headed in the right direction.

Charlotte and Toronto really are separate from the train wreck in Washington
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

jan vesely has a freakish amount of athleticism for his size, very entertaining to watch.

Comment

DEFENSE.

Havent checked the numbers but this is probably what separates the two teams most....current and growth...I dont think the Raps are "stagnant" in this area. I am willing to have a diminished offense while the team concentrates on the d system Casey is teaching them. This should be no surprise...he has said this. Once it becomes second nature the offense will come around. What is bothersome to me is that DD is missing open short jumpers consistently and his ball handling hasnt improved. ED is probably adjusting to his new weight and needs to develop at least the short j and a post game but he has lost some lift so we shall have to wait & see.

Comment

Toronto of course. We got some young talent (goin through ups and downs), we got Bargnani, Dwane Casey, a new Defensive Philosophy, a high pick and cap space. Down the road in around 2 - 3 years this team will be very dangerous. Once DeMar and Ed put it all together, our Draft Picks(JV and 2012 pick) start developing and Bargnani continues playing like he is. Can't wait for the next few seasons

Comment

Washington players have such low basketball IQ and like zero coordination. With Jonas and a top first rounder I think we are going to be much better.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
                        If Washington can turn Andray Blatche into a player like Kaman (which is a possibility).

except that blatche thinks he can hit 3s and loves to shoot from the high arc. kaman is a post player and 2 post players get in each others way. blatche is the poster boy of immaturity and selfishness. i forgot about nik young earlier, he is a nice peice moving forward too. wall, young, mcgee and then get the proper vets and roll players to build.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                          except that blatche thinks he can hit 3s and loves to shoot from the high arc. kaman is a post player and 2 post players get in each others way. blatche is the poster boy of immaturity and selfishness. i forgot about nik young earlier, he is a nice peice moving forward too. wall, young, mcgee and then get the proper vets and roll players to build.
                          That is what Blatche has been doing to some extent (shooting from the outside), but he has even said it himself (mind you this is where the early season locker room problems stem from) that he wants to be in the post, and him shooting j's is a problem. I mean he has only shot 7 threes and has had his best games when he goes to the net (which he knows).

As for Kaman and Mcgee getting in each other's way, the reason Kaman is struggling in NO (and why he is leaving) is because he is playing the 4, which is not his thing. I feel Mcgee and Kaman would play less side by side, and Kaman would be a great mentor and vet (not to mention an expiring contract) for Mcgee and the Wiz. I mean you talk about the "proper vet", Kaman has 8 years of rebounding and playing D under his belt, why not him?

Just my opinion tho
                          Last edited by Red and White; Sun Jan 29, 2012, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
                            As for Kaman and Mcgee getting in each other's way, the reason Kaman is struggling in NO (and why he is leaving) is because he is playing the 4, which is not his thing. I feel Mcgee and Kaman would play less side by side, and Kaman would be a great mentor and vet (not to mention an expiring contract) for Mcgee and the Wiz. I mean you talk about the "proper vet", Kaman has 8 years of rebounding and playing D under his belt, why not him?
                            Just my opinion tho
                            i was refering to you saying that blatche can become kaman like. kaman to mentor mcgee would be good for them i agree but i would say that kaman is a much less selfish and more intelligent player than blatche. if i was washington i would be trading blatche for the first respectable offer. a change of scene might help blatche in the long run and the less poison in washington the faster the healing can begin.

Comment

Don't care how much potential this guy has lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X