Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kentucky vs. Toronto

It's a sad state of affairs when....

Maybe I'm nuts to think a college group could hang with an NBA team, but I'm not so sure.

Check out the Toronto Raptors starting unit last night against the Boston Celtics -- and tell me you wouldn't take John Calipari's first five over the Raptors.

Not just for the future, but maybe even right now.

The Raptors backcourt was Spanish point guard Jose Calderon and athletic freak DeMar DeRozan. The frontcourt: James Johnson, Ed Davis and Aaron Gray.

Pitiful.

I understand Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist are just freshmen, but it's not like Davis and DeRozan are grown men, either. Both are just 22 years old. Johnson is 24 and Gray is 26.

I'd take Davis over Gray in a heartbeat. Yes, today. I'd also go with Gilchrist over Davis -- today, tomorrow and every day thereafter.

Calderon blows away Marquis Teague at this juncture and we'll give a slight nod to Johnson over Terrence "Mr. Enigma" Jones, but not if Jones' head is actually into the game.

Then there's the matter of DeRozan vs. Doron Lamb. DeRozan is a terrific athlete and virtually a non-shooter. Lamb is a big-time shooter. Completely different players, but I'll go with DeRozan.

So maybe Calipari's current edition down in Lexington wouldn't come out on top against the Raptors, but they'd certainly give them a run for their money.
    http://eye-on-college-basketball.blo...83066/34666220

I can't help but agree this would be a close game, whether playing under NBA or NCAA rules.

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    It's a sad state of affairs when....

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blo...83066/34666220

I can't help but agree this would be a close game, whether playing under NBA or NCAA rules.
    Under NBA rules this game is a non contest, the 35 second clock in the NCAA makes for a far different game.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
      Under NBA rules this game is a non contest, the 35 second clock in the NCAA makes for a far different game.
      I wasn't really serious about the rule differences, but you're right.

The defensive 3-second rule would mess up Kentucky's zone quite a bit, and they'd probably get burned for a few 8-second violations too.

But the point of the post is that we're legitimately comparing a college team to a pro team.

Comment

I'm usually pretty positive about the Raptors, but that is fading fast. How do you lose by 40 and only score 64 in the NBA. Yes Andrea was out, but so was Rondo. This team needs a shake up! I would probably rather have the Kentucky team going forward over this squad.

Comment

Kentucky might be young, athletic and full of talent but i dont think theyre going to win even against a crappy NBA team like the Raps.
          Experience counts for a lot. You put The Big Cat in and you will see bodies everywhere. And he wont be intentionally taking heads off, but those kids bodies are not used to the rigors of a full NBA season, and against banging veterans at that.

I remember when i was young i used to play bball every afternoon and i would always play against this tiny, scrawny, old man. Probably in his 50s at that time. But nobody could ever get a rebound over him. No matter how high the other person can jump. Its because the higher you jump, the more he gets under you, and nobody jumps beside him coz they know he'll drop them on the floor and get the rebound. He just knew where to stand, when to react. Nothing can beat experience.

Comment

Any NBA team would beat any college team just because of their experience. However the point of the article was that our team looks pretty bad - and I agree. On paper our team sucks. However I'd rather be Toronto than Charlotte, Detroit, Phoenix or Sacramento. And I have more hope for the future than a lot of those mediocre teams like Milwaukee, Houston, Atlanta or Portland.

Our rookie will not be playing a single game this year. Yet we're still going to get a solid pick, have cap space and a GM who loves wheeling and dealing, and a guy who most people wrote off who could end up being our franchise player. Our future is pretty bright. But our current squad minus Bargnani is pretty bad.

Comment

ye so what, in a year one of those players will be playing for us if we so choose.

Comment

Are we this prone to hyperbole when things are going badly? Even a bad NBA team (like ours) would absolutely spank Kentucky.

Comment

The Raptors have lost to several Euro League teams in the past so losing to good NCAA team might not be likely but is possible if it were in some place like Lexington.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                    The Raptors have lost to several Euro League teams in the past so losing to good NCAA team might not be likely but is possible if it were in some place like Lexington.
                    Besides Anthony Parker and Maccabi Tel-Aviv, who else did they lose to?

And whats interesting, is that I'd take the Raptors Starting-5 over the Bobcats or Detroit.
                    Even New Jersey doesn't have much beyond DWill.

Gimme the Raptors over ANY of those teams.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                      And the Lakers lost two games against European competition in October of 2010.

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakers...in-europe.html

Comment

The Raptors lost to a Real Madrid on Oct. 11 2007. Bosh was given the night off.

List of NBA vs FIBA / ULEB games

NBA teams have lost 11 of these games in total.

Comment

Like I mentioned in another thread. I don't think they could beat UCONN if they played like they did in the Celtics game. Kentucky would be tough as well. They gave up though, that's why they were so pathetic.

Comment

If Derozan is an "athletic freak" (author description) how must we describe Blake Griffin or Derrick Rose or LBJ..........the hyperbole sometimes........DD of course has some hops but........

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              Besides Anthony Parker and Maccabi Tel-Aviv, who else did they lose to?

And whats interesting, is that I'd take the Raptors Starting-5 over the Bobcats or Detroit.
                              Even New Jersey doesn't have much beyond DWill.

Gimme the Raptors over ANY of those teams.
                              One could easily say that the Raptors don't have much beyond Bargnani.

And if we're specifically talking about the lineup that faced the Celtics Wednesday night, we can confidently say that our starting lineup didn't have a single player who's capable of playing both ends of the court.

Comment

Working...
                              X