Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The mystery of Amir Johnson - why no amnesty talk for his terrible contract?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to mention we can't even use the Amnesty until the Summer.
    So no sense in talking about using on a guy whos had a few bad games in a row, in the middle of the season.

Comment

If it were possible to use the amnesty rule on more than one player, like say 4 of them, I'd for sure use it on Amir. However since we're stuck with 1, I can't see us using it on him. He's the least overpaid of the list of overpaid players we have on our team.
      your pal,
      ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
        If it were possible to use the amnesty rule on more than one player, like say 4 of them, I'd for sure use it on Amir. However since we're stuck with 1, I can't see us using it on him. He's the least overpaid of the list of overpaid players we have on our team.
        The Raps are in the bottom 6 teams in the league in terms of results.
        The Raps are in the bottom 6 teams in the league in terms of total payroll.

I'm not all that concerned with the team's payroll, especially not the salary of an individual who, when you ignore the last seven games, has proven he's worth his contract or at least close to it.

Comment

Amir has 3 years left in his contract and those will be his prime years. It's not a bad contract imo. He's never going to be a go to guy on offense but he has an important role on the current team. Raptor's shooting woes allow defenses to collapse in the middle.

A couple more boards per game would be nice.

Comment

.....do you think Amir saw this thread?

Great game tonight against the Wizards.

Comment

Hopefully tonights game will keep the haters at bay. haha

Comment

So I guess Amir forgot about his "personal issues" as he played an excellent game today.

Amir is the type of player who's simple stats show very little for what he actually does. While yes, prior to the Washington game he had been playing somewhat poorly, he is one player I do not worry about.

Comment

Good timing for Amir to step up.

I don't expect this type of production on the stat sheet every game but the hustle, effort, and intensity should be there.

Amir, in my opinion, played his role tonight that I would see long term in Toronto: first big off the bench doing the dirty.

Comment

That's why no one is talking about the amnesty clause and Amir Johnson. Any more questions genius.

Comment

Nothing against Amir but he had one great game. It's a 60+ season so let's see what he can consistently do, rather than cherry-pick a few strong games to represent his total worth.

My problem is that the Raptors are stacked at the PF position... Bargnani, Ed Davis & partially Kleiza. You know Bargnani is going to get his 32+ minutes every night and Davis has more potential. Should the Raptors hold onto a $6.5M a year contract for the next three years at a crowded PF position? I would like to trade for a PG or pay the amnesty and free up cap space to improve another position.

Comment

Regression wrote: View Post
                        ... You know Bargnani is going to get his 32+ minutes every night and Davis has more potential. ...
                        Personally, I would like to see where everyone gets this "Davis has more potential" information from. Smaller frame, can't hit the basket from 15 feet out, doesn't run like Amir, doesn't get the loose balls, gets rebounds, but all last year and most of this he has been playing against bench players. Exactly what is it about him that makes everyone gaga about his potential?

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                          Personally, I would like to see where everyone gets this "Davis has more potential" information from. Smaller frame, can't hit the basket from 15 feet out, doesn't run like Amir, doesn't get the loose balls, gets rebounds, but all last year and most of this he has been playing against bench players. Exactly what is it about him that makes everyone gaga about his potential?
                          +1

We're talking about a 3rd big in a rotation of Bargnani, JV, plus one. Energy, hustle, grit, and impacting the game more than filling the stat sheet are what is needed off the bench. Outside of Amir's recent slump, he has shown he can bring that type of impact to the court off the bench.

Rightly or wrongly, the franchise has labelled JV the C of the future (BC said as much last night in the interview after 1st timeout). Some might say premature on JV but I think his game is going to translate to the NBA very well.

Comment

Regression wrote: View Post
                            Nothing against Amir but he had one great game. It's a 60+ season so let's see what he can consistently do, rather than cherry-pick a few strong games to represent his total worth.

My problem is that the Raptors are stacked at the PF position... Bargnani, Ed Davis & partially Kleiza. You know Bargnani is going to get his 32+ minutes every night and Davis has more potential. Should the Raptors hold onto a $6.5M a year contract for the next three years at a crowded PF position? I would like to trade for a PG or pay the amnesty and free up cap space to improve another position.
                            What is very telling in this quote is you must not watch the other 60 or so games since Amir had a few bad ones and suddenly some are harping on his game and contract. He CONSISTENTLY gives a strong effort and affects the flow of the game for the better. The previous handful of games has been the exception yet a ripe few have chosen to use only them as a reason for 'amnesty/trade/shoot...'

Comment

I watched pretty much every game last season and have caught 3/4 of this year. I know Amir was struggling with back problems last year and this year I suppose he has more psychological issues. Even when he's healthy I'm not sure he's a $6.5M a year guy. He doesn't have that impact off the bench such as Barbosa.

I'm curious if he were to start whether he would get in quick foul trouble like the old days. I like his hustle and energy but his contract is too much considering the crowded PF spot.

Comment

No he doesn't have the stat sheet impact but if stat sheets told the whole story there would be a lot of NBA role players without jobs....Shane Battier comes to mind
                                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Working...
                                X