Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    A lot of the posters are of the type "trade X while his value is high"
    That's where we see cruel part of NBA.. Trade on high to get better asset!
    It should not work like that... I see him as a franchise player. Right. Franchise guy should not always be a superstar. He's just the guy you want to start and finish career on the team.. You can have few guys like that i believe.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
      The Tony Parker comparison only came up because he just passed Avery Johnson for the most assists all time for the Spurs, not because they play similar.
      Then comparison is even more bizarre, because Avery Johnson wasn't known as a great distributor either.

WJF wrote: View Post
      I think Jose gets a little under-appreciated due to his somewhat fragile body over his tenure as a Raptor. He has played 68 games a season over the last 3, with many of those at not quite 100%. We are a better team when he is on the floor, and he does his job well. Make open shots, hit guys on the pick n roll, and take care of the ball.
      I think comparing Calderon to Parker actually illustrates exactly why he isn't appreciated that much. Parker is not a distributor because he's a great scorer, with instinct around the basket and able to get to the line. I mean, take a look at the reasons why Calderon is not as appreciated as Parker is by Spurs fans (these numbers included the 10,000 minutes calculation used previously in this thread):

Calderon: 7,913 points
      Parker: 12,933 points

Calderon: 3061 field goals
      Parker: 5143 field goals

Calderon: 1181 free throws
      Parker: 2296 free throws

Perhaps if Calderon could only be more like Parker, then we'd appreciate him more.
      your pal,
      ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
        Then comparison is even more bizarre, because Avery Johnson wasn't known as a great distributor either.

I think comparing Calderon to Parker actually illustrates exactly why he isn't appreciated that much. Parker is not a distributor because he's a great scorer, with instinct around the basket and able to get to the line. I mean, take a look at the reasons why Calderon is not as appreciated as Parker is by Spurs fans (these numbers included the 10,000 minutes calculation used previously in this thread):

Calderon: 7,913 points
        Parker: 12,933 points

Calderon: 3061 field goals
        Parker: 5143 field goals

Calderon: 1181 free throws
        Parker: 2296 free throws

Perhaps if Calderon could only be more like Parker, then we'd appreciate him more.

Being an integral part of a team that has never won fewer than 50 games (54 wins the next lowest with the average around 57 wins per season) and having won 3 championships might be a good way for the Raptors faithful to truly appreciate Jose Calderon.

Jose is a great guy and a great teammate from all accounts but he has hardly been a difference maker for this team nor has he helped guide them to the upper echelon of the league.

Comparing Jose to Parker, from a game and achievement perspective, is an insult to Tony Parker.

I appreciate all Jose has done and tried to do. He has shown, when healthy, he is a solid NBA starting PG. Personally, given his age, desire to represent Spain this summer, and contract, if the Raptors have an opportunity to get better moving forward without him then so be it. It is not like keeping McHale and Parrish around for all they have accomplished and done - which was a big mistake given hindsight. Calderon has done nothing but be a nice guy and good teammate. In my opinion that is not worthy keeping him around at the expense of the franchise moving forward. With that said, I would not get rid of the guy just to get rid of him - it would have to be a good move for Toronto.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          ...but he has hardly been a difference maker for this team nor has he helped guide them to the upper echelon of the league...
          And can you imagine how well the team would have played if the alternatives had been the starting point guards?

Or turn it around. Imagine if BC had drafted guys that could shoot better, or if he had hired a coach who could teach defence?

What if you had a coach like Casey five years ago? With Calderon and the other players on the Raps then?

Having said that, as you finished your post with, I agree, he isn't a difference maker, but he IS a starting level point guard and has been from his first year pretty much. And if the Raps can get better by making a deal that also sends him to a better team, all good.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
            And can you imagine how well the team would have played if the alternatives had been the starting point guards?
            Highlighting how poor his competition has been over the years, isn't exactly a glowing endorsement for Calderon. Yes, he's been better than Ford, Jack, Solomon, Martin and Ukic....but who isn't?

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Highlighting how poor his competition has been over the years, isn't exactly a glowing endorsement for Calderon. Yes, he's been better than Ford, Jack, Solomon, Martin and Ukic....but who isn't?
              Ford needs an asterisk by his name. As in:

TJ Ford*
              Ukic
              etc.

*damn you Al Horford.

Comment

Working...
              X