Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Valanciunas' game better suited to the NBA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Valanciunas' game better suited to the NBA?

So we all know that JV is tearing up the Euro competitions this year. Stateside we all know that Ricky Rubio is totally crushing any realistic rookie expectations placed on him and is creating a lot of noise for rookie of the year honors. We also know that Rubio had a lot of struggles in the two subsequent seasons in Spain. Prior to him coming over Magic Johnson was asked how he felt Rubio would transition to the NBA given his struggles in Spain. Magic in all his supreme wisdom told reporters not to fear because Rubio's game was far better suited to the NBA style of play and he would be a star in America. Magic was 100% correct. Rubio looks like Steve Nash in his late 20's, just before he moved to Phoenix and started winning MVP's. Rubio of course is only 22 years old and has the potential to be one of the greatest PG's of all-time, the potential to dwarf the amazing accomplishments of the great Steve Nash: a player who he has drawn comparisons to for years. That said, my question to you is this, do you feel JV's game is better suited to the NBA? Do you feel that once he gets here, even if it doesn't(won't) happen overnight like Rubio, that he has the tools to be better utilized in the American style of play?
    Yes
    100.00%
    No
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Yes

Comment

I really like to hope so, andy do think he will fit in well with the NBA style of play.

He certainly can't be given the 'Euro' stereotype of soft, as he is a 250 pound 7 footer at the age of 19, which help him largely in transitioning into the more physical aspects of the NBA.

I think having a front court of two VERY athletic 7 footers, one who can shoot the ball excellently and one who plays aggressive low post and rebounding game, will be desired by ANY coach, and I'm thinking it won't take too long for Jonas to adapt into a starter, if not already a starter when he arrives.

Comment

i think we have a great shot at executive of the year, rookie of the year and coach of the year next year. and BigV will be a major point for all those involved. I like the pro to pro transition from europe to nba and the fact that he has generally already been forced to adept to bigger stronger faster players is a plus. when he goes up against kids his own age he owns them.

might not be the thread for it but does anyone have a stats comparison between him and darko in their european careers?

Comment

Yes, his real agile and quick for his position. Run the floor like a deer and wants to dunk everything.With the whole you can't touch someone out in the perimeter, he should be able to blow by many centers with that 1st step. His long, 7-4 wingspan!(just as long as Anthony Davis) People like to think that its athleticism that gets block but, its actually length and timing. He definately has the length part down. Last but, not least his a rebounder first. That's been proven that rebouding translate the most in the NBA. With a huge motor, not many big man have a motor like he does. Honestly I think his floor is Anderson Vareojo and his ceiling is Joackim Noah with with way better offense.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
            Might not be the thread for it but does anyone have a stats comparison between him and darko in their european careers?
            9.5 pts, 4.6 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in 20 min. And benched for the whole U-20 competition.

JVal is much less of a prospect than this kid.

Source: http://www.nba.com/draft2003/profiles/MilicicDarko.html

Comment

Absolutely.

There is not nearly as much contact in the NBA as he has been subjected to in Europe, yet he still delivers.

His motor never stops which gives him an advantage over the majority of the league immediately.

He is awesome at the pick and roll which will is a major component of the NBA game (with this though I think the key will be him working with a PG who can deliver the ball in the pick and roll. He had it last year with Sarunas Jasikevicius but not so much this year with Rice).

Comment

I think it's probably important to point out the he has been more productive in Lithuania than Bargnani was in Spain before coming over. The reason I voted 'yes' is because he's a bruiser and has most of the fundamental big man skills he'll need in the NBA to be that rare prototypical NBA center. I think "Sabonis" is Valanciunas' upside ceiling. That's huge expectations on my part and kind of out of character but I am really high on this kid. He has all the potential to be a star franchise center.

Apollo wrote: View Post
                I think it's probably important to point out the he has been more productive in Lithuania than Bargnani was in Spain before coming over. The reason I voted 'yes' is because he's a bruiser and has most of the fundamental big man skills he'll need in the NBA to be that rare prototypical NBA center. I think "Sabonis" is Valanciunas' upside ceiling. That's huge expectations on my part and kind of out of character but I am really high on this kid. He has all the potential to be a star franchise center.
                Excellent point Matt. Even though, in my opinion, he's going to have his ups and downs in that first season or two while he transitions and fills out his frame he still has the kind of energy on the court which will catch people off guard many nights. Let's face it, there are a lot of lazy centers around the league, it's why the position always gets paid the most money with respect to level of talent. Good centers are really hard to find and low supply equals high demand, high prices.

Comment

I just hope we're not raising our expectations too much. We'll have to remind ourselves that he's still a very young player, and with that comes a lot of mistakes.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    I just hope we're not raising our expectations too much. We'll have to remind ourselves that he's still a very young player, and with that comes a lot of mistakes.
                    I think Raptors fans are very understanding when they see 2 things:

1) effort
                    2) learning from mistakes.

Bargnani was crapped on continuously because the effort was lacking - and by his own admission.

Comment

JV is definitely going to be better in the NBA. In Europe the court is smaller, so the defenses crowd the court very easily and the paint can be protected all the time, because there is no 3 seconds in the paint rule... which makes pick n' roll plays rather difficult.

JV is probably the best pick n' roll big that I have seen since Karl Malone. Very quick on his feet, has excellent coordination, catches even the most difficult passes without losing his momentum towards the basket and ALWAYS finishes strong, but also has a very soft and accurate touch should a couple of feet remain between him and the rim.

He's an excellent (~90% career) free throw shooter, which will allow him to punish teams should they try and stop him by fouling him. His mid-range jumper already at his young age is looking good and is improving every month.

Very important for a big man: he is an energy rebounder and goes after the ball like a Reggie Evans (if you remember from last season), but has that size, that wingspan (7'4'') and the athleticism that very few centers have. He's also a very good shot blocker and will protect the rim with dedication.

The only problem in his rookie year is that he might lack the strength in the post on offense and defense in his rookie year, which he will try to make up with his energy and this will end up most probably in many, many fouls. So foul trouble will be his issue in the first year.

My prediction is that he will be a ROY candidate, but if he finds a way to stay out of foul trouble and averages 30+ minutes a game, then I can see him becoming the best center in the NBA behind only Howard and Bynum in his first year in Toronto already.

Can't wait for next year.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Bargs is from italy...

Comment

Next year is a huge year for this team. A high pick, Big V and a full summer for Dwane Casey and his staff to work with our players.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                            Next year is a huge year for this team. A high pick, Big V and a full summer for Dwane Casey and his staff to work with our players.
                            We're not going to be good immediately next year, however I think in a very short period of time, we'll have a clear vision of where this team is going in the next 3 years : a good team or a contender. So yes, this will be the most exciting training camp/season start ever.

Comment

but i think we'll have a shot at the playoffs next season

Comment

Working...
                              X