Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Valanciunas' game better suited to the NBA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thead wrote: View Post
    I was just thinking back to the Raptors Republic Draft Party when we all lost our shit over drafting him....those were good times lol
    Speak for yourself. I loved the pick then, and even more now. Exactly what this franchise has needed.

Comment

the reason we haven't turned the corner is because of the coaching staff. We've had 8 different coaches in 17 seasons. When VC was here he had 3 different coaches and same with Bosh. We finally have a good coaching staff and our management is finally making the right moves. Next year we'll see if it all comes together

Comment

Bouncepass wrote: View Post
        Speak for yourself. I loved the pick then, and even more now. Exactly what this franchise has needed.
        Actually I remember hearing a log of negative comments from a lot of fans over selecting JV. Most fan's couldn't wrap their heads around drafting another European who no one had heard of. Especially when a lot of them were hoping for someone like Knight or Walker. Even Jeff Blair was disagreeing with the pick in some article he wrote (or his radio show - can't remember which).

But when I heard they picked him - I had a smile on my face. I knew right then that Bryan was building for the future. And after watching the U-19 tourney my smile turned into a Joker-sized grin.

Comment

I do remember a lot of people on this forum were bitching about the pick. I admit on draft night I was pissed. I hadn't seen him play and I had only read a couple of scouting reports. I really wanted Knight. After a couple days of researching him, I saw huge value. I really like the kid, but I think it might take a couple years for him to produce the way everyone is talking. Best pick and roll guy since Malone is a huge thing to live up to. I'm really excited for the offseason, and next year.

I'm glad we pick Val over Knight, although I still would like him on this team.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Lost shit good or bad?

I remember Kanter getting drafted and I sat there through Cleveland pick, "Please don't pick JV." Then when Toronto was on the board, "Please don't take guard or Biyombo or Vesely - take JV." Then I just smiled when it was announced as buddies collectively, negatively, lost their shit.
            Everybody got so lost in debating the early front runners ( Biyombo vs Kanter ) they never even noticed when most sites bumped JV ahead of those guy's, pre-draft. I never understood why everybody around here tried making that a 2 horse race. Kanter and Biyombo were more polarizing I guess. Each brought something to the table while taking something off the table, and it made for great Offense vs Defense debates.

Comment

I posted something then deleted it. Is his game better suited to the NBA? I said yes. Why? He's a real big and the NBA is a big man's league more than Euro ones are. Still the competition is better though. If he can meet his potential, and get a little bigger, he should be much more successful in the NBA with the extra space and better playmakers getting him the ball in the post and on the roll. It'll take time though, and main thing for him is getting stronger so he won't take a lot of fouls.

Comment

big_chris wrote: View Post
                Everybody got so lost in debating the early front runners ( Biyombo vs Kanter ) they never even noticed when most sites bumped JV ahead of those guy's, pre-draft. I never understood why everybody around here tried making that a 2 horse race. Kanter and Biyombo were more polarizing I guess. Each brought something to the table while taking something off the table, and it made for great Offense vs Defense debates.
                My two picks were Kanter and JV.

Comment

I knew Kanter would be gone before he got to us, so I was hoping for Kawhi, Knight, or Kemba. JV's name came into the race really late. I'm happy we drafted him and he will do well in the NBA, I'm just trying to stay grounded with his ability. I think that's where the Bargs bashing came into play, we expect to much to soon.

Comment

it was the raptors republic draft party and if there was anyone happy in the room they were FAR from the majority. I did quite a bit of homework before I came around to liking him as a pick
                    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

My top two were probably JV and Kemba. I thought for sure we were taking Knight when he 'slipped' though, and would not have been upset with if we had picked him. Barnes and Sullinger might have been in that mix had they declared.

Comment

When I saw the pick I wasn't initially all that excited... But then I did a little homework and realized it was the best decision

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                          I knew Kanter would be gone before he got to us, so I was hoping for Kawhi, Knight, or Kemba. JV's name came into the race really late. I'm happy we drafted him and he will do well in the NBA, I'm just trying to stay grounded with his ability. I think that's where the Bargs bashing came into play, we expect to much to soon.
                          Depends what you mean by really late. RR posters were talking about him in early April of last year. I know I had some posts on him prior to this and I recall Apollo because at one point he was at #2 on DraftExpress and it surprised a lot of people.

With Bargnani, I think the issue wasn't expectations being too high. It was certain expectations were not being met. Those expectations where he failed were hustle and effort. Look at the turnaround in Raptors fans opinions of him this year (albeit in a small sample size and many are rightfully still skeptical), it was all about effort.

Comment

big_chris wrote: View Post
                            My top two were probably JV and Kemba. I thought for sure we were taking Knight when he 'slipped' though, and would not have been upset with if we had picked him. Barnes and Sullinger might have been in that mix had they declared.
                            Yeah, I was really high on Knight too. He's going to be a really good pro.

Comment

I remember being really disappointed last year when a bunch of top freshmen decided to stay for a second year, but in the end we got a great pick and now this year's draft is as deep as any.

Comment

Working...
                              X