Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Toronto be in 'thick of playoff hunt' with a healthy Bargnani?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Toronto be in 'thick of playoff hunt' with a healthy Bargnani?

Despite the losing record, Colangelo appears content – especially with the lingering calf injury to centre and leading scorer Andrea Bargnani, who missed his 14th game Wednesday night.

Colangelo said that Bargnani will remain sidelined for an “extended period.”

Colangelo suggested that it was conceivable that the Raptors would be in the thick of a playoff race in the Eastern Conference if Bargnani had remained healthy.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2331811/
    Colangelo suggests Toronto would be in a playoff hunt with a healthy Bargnani.

What do you think?

This leads me to a follow up question: Do you think Colangelo and the Raptors are sitting Bargnani intentionally for fear of getting a dreaded 11-14 draft pick?
    Yes
    85.71%
    No
    14.29%

I say yes.

In the 13 games Toronto played with Bargnani they were a much better team offensively and, very surprisingly, defensively as well. They were 6-7 with him and are 2-12 without him.

Comment

Of course we would be in the playoff race right now with a healthy Bargs, the Bucks hold the 8th spot with an 11-14 record. That being said, I don't think anyone wants to be just in the race, we want to have a shot at the podium (home court). Even with a healthy Andrea, this team has a ways to go.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
        Of course we would be in the playoff race right now with a healthy Bargs, the Bucks hold the 8th spot with an 11-14 record. That being said, I don't think anyone wants to be just in the race, we want to have a shot at the podium (home court). Even with a healthy Andrea, this team has a ways to go.
        Exactly. A healthy Bargnani gives the Raptors a shot or a chance at the playoffs. It is far from a guarantee. But I think it is very fair to say a much lower lottery selection would be in order.

And you are right, even with Bargnani, this team has a long way to go.

Comment

I voted yes as well. I think this team with Bargnani could easily duke it out with the likes of Milwaukee, and, based on what I've seen from them so far, perhaps even New York.

I don't know if I would go as far as to suggest that they are intentionally sitting Bargnani, but I will say that I don't think there's anyone in the organization that is trying to get him back as soon as possible. This is good both for Bargnani, as it leaves him time to heal fully, and for the team, as it will put them in a higher draft position.

Comment

I agree on the fact that they won't give him the green light before his fully healed, that would be too much risk for a prize we don't need. But suggesting that they might be benching him to tank, how do you sell it to Bargs ?

"Listen Dude, i think we're just going to sit you all year cause we don't want you to ruin our lottery chances. I know you like basketball, but you'll have to wait for next fall".

Comment

Fanchie wrote: View Post
              I agree on the fact that they won't give him the green light before his fully healed, that would be too much risk for a prize we don't need. But suggesting that they might be benching him to tank, how do you sell it to Bargs ?

"Listen Dude, i think we're just going to sit you all year cause we don't want you to ruin our lottery chances. I know you like basketball, but you'll have to wait for next fall".
              I don't think it would be or is that blatant. I should have clarified further - my apologies.

If Toronto were actually a good team (good record, playoff bound, with more potential than a fringe playoff team beyond this year), he might be playing. However, since he is not playing for a good team, why rush back from an injury? Let it heal 100%.

Think back to Bosh's last year when he was cleared to play but he refused. At the time Toronto was in the hunt for a playoff spot. Of course, they didn't make it on the last day of the season. It is only my opinion as I have no fact or proof to back it up, but I think if Toronto was in that situation, Bargnani would be playing now.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                I don't think it would be or is that blatant. I should have clarified further - my apologies.

If Toronto were actually a good team (good record, playoff bound, with more potential than a fringe playoff team beyond this year), he might be playing. However, since he is not playing for a good team, why rush back from an injury? Let it heal 100%.

Think back to Bosh's last year when he was cleared to play but he refused. At the time Toronto was in the hunt for a playoff spot. Of course, they didn't make it on the last day of the season. It is only my opinion as I have no fact or proof to back it up, but I think if Toronto was in that situation, Bargnani would be playing now.
                Then we fully agree : i don't think his injury is that serious, or let me rephrase it, i don't think he's unable to play. But these muscular lesions are like chewing gum under your shoe : they can follow you for your entire career if you don't give your fibers some time to regenerate.

We can see it that way : the wins he could bring are more useful next year than now.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Colangelo suggests Toronto would be in a playoff hunt with a healthy Bargnani.

What do you think?

This leads me to a follow up question: Do you think Colangelo and the Raptors are sitting Bargnani intentionally for fear of getting a dreaded 11-14 draft pick?
                  Yes and yes
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Even without Bargnani for long stretches the Raps are still only 3 wins back from the 8th seed. 11 wins has you in the playoffs right now in the East and I think it's reasonable to think that a healthy Bargnani the entire season would have helped them be around that mark.

As it stands, Bargnani's injury could turn out to be a blessing in disguise for the Raptors assuming he fully recovers. The Raptors NEED to knock their draft pick out of the park this summer and picking at 15th decreases the chances of that in comparison to picking in the top five. I think the Raptors realize this too. I don't think the Raptors would ever blatantly hold out a healthy Bargnani, but it's definitely in their best interest to slow down the healing process.

Comment

Bargnani *might* have become complacent with a few losses - especially on a few back to backs, etc.. but for the most part the team is better with Bargnani in the line up.

So that 2-12 record would have looked more like a 5-9 or 6-8 record and that would have given them enough wins to be competing with Milwaukee/NY for that 8th spot. But I think that says more about our conference than it does about Bargnani unfortunately.

The internal tanker inside me was a bit happy when I heard Bargnani's injury is going to take longer to heal. But watching each game has been frustrating without him in the line up. So I guess I've been a bit bi-polar this season watching these Raptors.

Comment

I voted yes but "being in the playoff hunt" in the east is really meaningless in terms of gauging the teams quality of play. They would still stink, they'd just stink a lot less.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          So I guess I've been a bit bi-polar this season watching these Raptors.
                          Isn't bipolarity what this season is about ? It does feel weird to want them to fight but to feel relieved when they lose.

As it stands, Bargnani's injury could turn out to be a blessing in disguise for the Raptors assuming he fully recovers.
                          Could Bargs' injury be our version of "Robinson's injury leading to Duncan being drafted and the Spurs winning multiple titles" ? Let's dream...

Comment

Yes the raptors would definately be in a playoff hunt if Bargnani was healthy. He is not only one of our best scorers, but (I cant believe I am saying this) he is probably our best pick and roll defending big.

As far as the team intentionally sitting him to get a better pick. I dont think it is as black and white as that, I believe that he is not 100% and thats why he isnt playing, but if we were VERY close to making the playoffs or something, then we would let him come back at say 90%. As it stands now, for a team that struggles to be .500 there is no need to rush him back. Even with him in the lineup we are still under .500. No need to chance it with his health. He is by far the best player on this team, and presents the biggest match up challenges for any team facing us on a night to night basis. He will be healthy soon enough.
                            "Defense wins championships."

Comment

this is good for us so i don't care either way. I'd much rather pick up a superstar in the draft and have him along side Bargs, DeMar and Big V that way we have a much better team that can get higher than 7th or 8th seed in the east.

Comment

Working...
                              X