Colangelo interview with Bob McCown on FAN590

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    i like MKG but we need a dominant player at the 3. Someone who we can rely on in crunch time to hit a big time shot and make big plays throughout the game not just defensively but offensively too.
    With an outside shot. If we keep Derozan the other wing would most effectively be a solid to stellar outside shooter to balance the floor.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
      With an outside shot. If we keep Derozan the other wing would most effectively be a solid to stellar outside shooter to balance the floor.
      Barnes or Miller comes to mind

Comment

Barnes or Miller comes to mind
        Quincy Miller has slowly and very surely grown on me over the course of the Season.

I was initially very much set on Drafting Barnes and being done with the matter, but Miller has shown to be a VERY capable wing player, which at first I was not sold on. Now its to the point where I don't see Miller playing a single minute at PF once hes in the NBA.

Not to mention dude is CLUTCH. He's got all the makings of someone ready to take over a team.
        Ever since coming back from that injury, its like he has a new found love of the game.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          Even Colangelo conceded that maybe DeRozan is better suited to the 3.
          Some people including myself have been saying this in the blogs for a little while now.

They need either a better ball handling or shooting 2 than DeRozan moving forward.

No disrespect to Demar, I just think he may be better at the 3 but will have to significantly increase his defensive intensity

Comment

+1

Reggie is a HOF'er but Lamb has got my attention since last year and although the team he is playing on currently is not having a good year (terrible pg play) he is a top prospect.

His shooting range is as good as any player that will declare this year. Developing handles, gets in passing lanes. Would love to see him in a Raps uniform next year.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              Quincy Miller has slowly and very surely grown on me over the course of the Season.

I was initially very much set on Drafting Barnes and being done with the matter, but Miller has shown to be a VERY capable wing player, which at first I was not sold on. Now its to the point where I don't see Miller playing a single minute at PF once hes in the NBA.

Not to mention dude is CLUTCH. He's got all the makings of someone ready to take over a team.
              Ever since coming back from that injury, its like he has a new found love of the game.
              I would be happy with Barnes or Miller.

I was really high on Barnes last year, soured on him a bit earlier this year, but I am starting to come around again. Offensively I think he would compliment DD very well. Defensively, I think Casey could work with him as, while he is not an elite athlete, he isn't a chump either.

Last year in talking about Kanter and JV I said I felt Kanter was the better player right now but JV had a higher ceiling. That is how I feel about comparing Miller and Barnes. Barnes is better right now but Miller has the higher ceiling in my opinion.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                I think MKG is the guy he wants as well. A lockdown, gritty defender to pair with DeRozan so MKG can guard the better wing.
                I like Gilchrist however outside of defence (which is obviously important) how does his game translate to the pros?

I have some concerns on what type of player he will be in the league and do you really want to spend a high draft pick on him?

Comment

I assume that, if the opportunity presents itself, BC will wind up deciding between Barnes and MKG. I also wouldn't be surprised if BC is looking at trying to acquire a later lottery pick in the hopes that one of Lamb or Beal are still available.

One obvious assumption about BC's reference to being "stacked" at a certain position, is that he's referring to PF. However, perhaps he views Lamb/Beal as better outside shooters at the SG position than DeRozan, which could ultimately result in DeRozan being the player from a "stacked" position that gets traded. A long-term lineup of Valanciunas, Bargnani, Barnes/MKG, Lamb/Beal and a pass-first PG looks pretty good on paper.
                  Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Feb 13, 2012, 01:35 PM.

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
                    I like Gilchrist however outside of defence (which is obviously important) how does his game translate to the pros?

I have some concerns on what type of player he will be in the league and do you really want to spend a high draft pick on him?
                    If this new Bargnani is here for good, I consider Bargnani a legit first option on offense. The Raptors do not have a 2nd option. I don't think that is DeRozan who would probably be considered a 3rd/4th option. The Raptors really need a legit 2nd option on offense - someone who can stretch the defense, create their own shot, and average close to 20 ppg.

If the Raptors had that elusive 2nd option, then yes, I do think MKG is worth the high draft pick. This is not an original thought on my part but I think it is a fair comparison: MKG is similar to Gerald Wallace.

He is only 18 years old - not 19 until September. This was written about him last year in high school by DraftExpress. I think what he has shown this year in college makes the comments equally attributable in the NCAA. One can only hope and assume that these traits will carry over to the NBA.

Clearly the most impressive prospect seen at this event, small forward Michael Gilchrist (#4 Scout, #3 Rivals, #3 ESPN) looked like the type of player who could step onto a college campus and contribute immediately, despite being only 17 year old.

With a noticeably improved frame, possibly an added inch of height, and the same terrific competitiveness we've written about repeatedly over the past two years, Gilchrist made an unbelievable impact on the game he played and pretty much single-handedly took down a very good Bishop Gorman squad.

Gilchrist's defense remains his defining trait, and looks to be approaching a level where he could get minutes against pretty much any type of opponent. The added strength he's put on has allowed him to play with even more aggressiveness, and when combined with his terrific wingspan and basketball IQ, makes him an absolute terror both on and off the ball.

He starts playing defense as soon as the opposing squad inbounds the ball, getting up in his matchup's chest, attempting to deny him the entry pass, while also maintaining the presence of mind to be ready to help out his teammates if needed. He's phenomenal on the ball, active and intense, yet fundamentally sound, smothering with his length, and extremely physical.

He's just as good off the ball, though, with his anticipation skills in the passing lanes, and ability to rotate as a help-side defender. Showing big, strong hands, and the willingness to make his presence felt on the glass, Gilchrist is an excellent rebounder who will go well out of his area for extra possessions.

Constantly talking, directing, leading by example--whether on the court or standing up cheering from the bench—Gilchrist looks like exactly the type of player you'd want to have on your team.

Offensively, Gilchrist was extremely aggressive, making a couple of shots both with his feet set and off the dribble from the perimeter, and doing a good job posting up his man. His advanced ball-handling skills remain improvable and his shooting mechanics are still not ideal, but his ability to bring the ball up the court, beat his man off the dribble and find the open man with pinpoint accuracy allows him to play multiple positions on the floor. He's always looking to set up his teammates, but has no problem asserting himself and taking a big shot himself if the situation calls for it.

One of the most mature players we've ever seen at this level, Gilchrist is a player that NBA teams will likely fall in love with as soon as he lands in college. Physical attributes, defensive ability, scoring instincts, intangibles—he's a rare player who brings a complete package of skills to the table despite being only 17-years old. Whether he develops the offensive polish needed to emerge as a go-to option at the highest level remains to be seen, but no coach will ever complain about the effort he brings.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1mHfoFz8L
                    http://www.draftexpress.com

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                      If the team drafts based on the best player possible, it will be a 4, 5 and 3 respectively (if we fall in the top 3). As per Draft Express:

1. Anthony Davis
                      2. Andre Drummond
                      3. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

I really think that MKG is the kind of player that BC wants. He spoke at length about body language and temperament during games and from what I've read about MKG, he's got that fire, maturity and leadership qualities that I think are important intangibles outside of statistics. If we go #1, he may draft Davis and then flip him to whomever drafts MKG + something.
                      If we had the #1 pick and didn't draft Anthony Davis and keep him I would be really disappointed and that jackass Stephen A. Smith would have more smack to talk about Toronto. Davis has game changer written all over him and could cement our defense for years to come.

Comment

Bouncepass wrote: View Post
                        Everybody should know who Colangelo is referring to when he says that there is a clear top draft pick, so there is no need for him to elaborate. He was clear that it would be a violation for him to speak about specific players because they have not yet officially entered the draft pool.

I can't imagine him not taking and keeping Anthony Davis if the Raptors end up with the top pick. As he mentioned, if they ended up "stacked" at a position, they could move another player for a position of need. In the NBA you should always draft and keep the top player, and trade lesser players to fill in around the best players.

My only concern with Kidd-Gilchrist is that it would still leave the Raptors a bit light on reliable scoring, unless he develops a more refined offensive game. The underlying problem for me is that I am not sure whether DeRozan is going to become a consistent high level scorer.
                        +1

Comment

Is Q. Miller fully recovered from that injury. I've watched a couple of Baylor games over the last month or so and he seems to labour up and down the floor some what. He's playing in P. Jones' shadow right now, but if he opts to stay in college for another year he could go top 5 in 2013.

Comment

I want this guy bad. I hope he declares for the draft

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              If this new Bargnani is here for good, I consider Bargnani a legit first option on offense. The Raptors do not have a 2nd option. I don't think that is DeRozan who would probably be considered a 3rd/4th option. The Raptors really need a legit 2nd option on offense - someone who can stretch the defense, create their own shot, and average close to 20 ppg.

If the Raptors had that elusive 2nd option, then yes, I do think MKG is worth the high draft pick. This is not an original thought on my part but I think it is a fair comparison: MKG is similar to Gerald Wallace.

He is only 18 years old - not 19 until September. This was written about him last year in high school by DraftExpress. I think what he has shown this year in college makes the comments equally attributable in the NCAA. One can only hope and assume that these traits will carry over to the NBA.
                              I don't think bargs is a very good first option. I like him a lot don't get me wrong but i think if we draft someone like Barnes or Miller they would end up the #1 option and then bargs and DeMar

Comment

I don't think bargs is a very good first option. I like him a lot don't get me wrong but i think if we draft someone like Barnes or Miller they would end up the #1 option and then bargs and DeMar
                                If Bargnani had kept up the pace of 23.5ppg he'd be 5th in the league in scoring on 17.6 shots per game. To me that is a great first option especially when he was really the only consistent scoring threat on the team to start the season (i.e. teams zeroed in on stopping him).

Unfortunately we only have 13 games to go on and a lot of prior history so I understand the doubt.

Comment

Working...
                                X