What if

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if

I see a lot of the draft talk is 1 2 or 3 but who do you guys like if we are 5-10?

would you try to package the pick with demar or someone to move up?

if we land 5-10 do we take either of the joneses?
    not a big perry fan but have heard him called durant like..is that a true description? can he play the wing?

saw someone mention beal. do we sneak him into the top 10?

Just say no to PJ3
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I like MKG, Jeremy Lamb, Quincy Miller anywhere from 5-10 and I think it would be acceptable to pick someone like Kendall Marshall or Terence Jones 8-14. I'd take a pass on Perry Jones. He is nothing like Kevin Durant other than his height and build. Perry Jones is more of an Anthony Randolph, just really athletic but he's got a ton of upside. I wouldn't be totally opposed to taking Jones and wouldn't be suprised if we do, if we slip around the 10-14 range considering BC likes picking the homerun guys.

Comment

Beal plays SG so I wouldn't really consider him unless we can't seem to draft a SF OR Derozan moves to the 3 position. Beal does seem like an intriguing prospect though, he's compared to Ray Allen on nbadraft.net

Comment

PJ's stock has dropped over the past year because of his attitude and maturity issues. That's why I love MKG. I have seen some games this year and reports on the web about MKG and so far, I've been impressed. I think BC is really high on him to a point where, if we are 5-10, he would make something happen just to move up. Just my 2 cents.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...lipari_Of_Rose
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
            I see a lot of the draft talk is 1 2 or 3 but who do you guys like if we are 5-10?

would you try to package the pick with demar or someone to move up?

if we land 5-10 do we take either of the joneses?
            not a big perry fan but have heard him called durant like..is that a true description? can he play the wing?

saw someone mention beal. do we sneak him into the top 10?
            My top 5 picks are this:
            Davis
            Drummond
            Robinson
            Sullinger
            1 of Barnes or MKG

There are many bottom feeder teams with a real need at PF. New Orleans (I'm not a believer in Landry long term), Charlotte, Detroit, New Jersey (I'm not a believer in Hump long term), and Washington (unless you count Blatche - bahahahhaaha).

This works out for Toronto if they are not picking at 1 or 2 given their need of a wings.

5-10 picks have some interesting players as well with all deserving serious consideration from Toronto:

the other of Barnes or MKG
            Perry Jones III
            Brad Beal
            Jeremy Lamb
            Quincy Miller
            Terrence Ross

The one player who I absolutely would not be interested in is Terrence Jones. I was a huge fan of his to start last season. He truly looked like a man among boys. HOWEVER, inconsistency creeped in to his game after January and it has never left. He shows flashes of brilliance one moment then disappears for long stretches. Obviously Kentucky is very talented and I'm sure most of their starters would have better individual stats if they were on a less talented team - the same goes for Jones. However, it appears his effort comes and goes and his head is often wedged very far between his gluteus maximus as he makes really, really stupid mistakes.

Personally, I could make a case for any of the five I put in above.

Of the 5, PJ3 is probably the most intriguing due to his length and athleticism - much like Anthony Davis, could you imagine a front line of Jones/Bargnani/JV? However given all that physical potential it is disturbing that he averages just .9 blk and .5 stl per game. Given the importance of this pick, it would be a major gamble to take him so I'd pass.

The 'safest' bet of those five would be Barnes.

I don't think I would give up assets to move up. No team is going to be giving up the opportunity to draft in the top 3 of this draft. Trading down is very interesting though. Realistically, the players I listed 5 through 10, with the exception of Barnes, could fall out of the top 10. BC might see something other GM's do not in a guy lacking the hype. He might be able to get the guy he wants while addressing another need in PG. Examples would be:

He might be able to get a PG from another team in a swap of picks. Say the Raptors pick 7 and the Bucks pick 12 - a swap of picks plus Brandon Jennings to Toronto and Davis to Milwaukee - total speculation and BS on my part. So the Raptors could end up with Jennings and Miller while addressing the log jam at PF.

He might be able to swap a 4 through 7 pick with a team who has 2 picks. Utah, for example, is loaded with young talent at every position other than PG. They might not be interested in two more rookies so Raptors give pick #6 to Utah for their own pick likely to be mid teens (13-17) and Golden States top 7 protected pick (10-13). Toronto could end up with a guy they wanted in Ross or Miller and pick up a PG they like in Wroten or Kabongo.

Comment

I am over the moon for Kidd-Gilchrist, in a way I never am for draft picks. If his stock rises and/or Toronto's draft position slips, I would be in favour of packaging Ed + the pick to move up.

I just think he has all the tools to be great: ridiculous athleticism, length, a high motor, work ethic, character and a lot of toughness.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                My top 5 picks are this:
                Davis
                Drummond
                Robinson
                Sullinger
                1 of Barnes or MKG

There are many bottom feeder teams with a real need at PF. New Orleans (I'm not a believer in Landry long term), Charlotte, Detroit, New Jersey (I'm not a believer in Hump long term), and Washington (unless you count Blatche - bahahahhaaha).

This works out for Toronto if they are not picking at 1 or 2 given their need of a wings.

5-10 picks have some interesting players as well with all deserving serious consideration from Toronto:

the other of Barnes or MKG
                Perry Jones III
                Brad Beal
                Jeremy Lamb
                Quincy Miller
                Terrence Ross

The one player who I absolutely would not be interested in is Terrence Jones. I was a huge fan of his to start last season. He truly looked like a man among boys. HOWEVER, inconsistency creeped in to his game after January and it has never left. He shows flashes of brilliance one moment then disappears for long stretches. Obviously Kentucky is very talented and I'm sure most of their starters would have better individual stats if they were on a less talented team - the same goes for Jones. However, it appears his effort comes and goes and his head is often wedged very far between his gluteus maximus as he makes really, really stupid mistakes.

Personally, I could make a case for any of the five I put in above.

Of the 5, PJ3 is probably the most intriguing due to his length and athleticism - much like Anthony Davis, could you imagine a front line of Jones/Bargnani/JV? However given all that physical potential it is disturbing that he averages just .9 blk and .5 stl per game. Given the importance of this pick, it would be a major gamble to take him so I'd pass.

The 'safest' bet of those five would be Barnes.

I don't think I would give up assets to move up. No team is going to be giving up the opportunity to draft in the top 3 of this draft. Trading down is very interesting though. Realistically, the players I listed 5 through 10, with the exception of Barnes, could fall out of the top 10. BC might see something other GM's do not in a guy lacking the hype. He might be able to get the guy he wants while addressing another need in PG. Examples would be:

He might be able to get a PG from another team in a swap of picks. Say the Raptors pick 7 and the Bucks pick 12 - a swap of picks plus Brandon Jennings to Toronto and Davis to Milwaukee - total speculation and BS on my part. So the Raptors could end up with Jennings and Miller while addressing the log jam at PF.

He might be able to swap a 4 through 7 pick with a team who has 2 picks. Utah, for example, is loaded with young talent at every position other than PG. They might not be interested in two more rookies so Raptors give pick #6 to Utah for their own pick likely to be mid teens (13-17) and Golden States top 7 protected pick (10-13). Toronto could end up with a guy they wanted in Ross or Miller and pick up a PG they like in Wroten or Kabongo.
                I believe that BC will pick the best player available as well. He referred to "stacking" in his interview with Prime Time Sports. In that regard, I'd also love AD and Drummond. Just having this many talented bigs is salivating and one can always sign a PG and wing via free agency. Hello Batum (wink, wink).
                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                  I believe that BC will pick the best player available as well. He referred to "stacking" in his interview with Prime Time Sports. In that regard, I'd also love AD and Drummond. Just having this many talented bigs is salivating and one can always sign a PG and wing via free agency. Hello Batum (wink, wink).
                  He did say pick the best player available. However he also said there was only one player who is the unquestionable #1 pick and did everything but say Anthony Davis. If he does not have the #1 pick then maybe the guy who he thinks is the best is considered 6th based on general consensus. Unless he is picking #1, I don't see a big getting picked because there are no clear cut favourites after that. One could argue a wing like Barnes or MKG is a better prospect than Drummond or Sullinger.

Comment

I would be extremely happy with Barnes, Lamb, MKG. I'm sure one of them will be available when we pick. I don;t think PJ3 is a good option, I think with a high pick you don't pick solely on potential. We aren't lacking on size with a 7' centre and power forward. We are lacking in shooting ability, and a player that can create his own offence.

Comment

What if ....

Sullinger (no. 7 on Chad Ford's board) is with out a doubt the best talent available when the Raptors pick. Do they go for yet another PF?
                      Last edited by stretch; Sun Feb 12, 2012, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Players i'd move up for:

Davis
                        MKG
                        Miller (his stock is going to skyrocket, just wait)

Otherwise, if I'm picking in the 5-10 range I stick with Lamb/Beal/Kabongo
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

For me, PJ3 is an avoid-like-the-plague sort of pick right now. Low efficiency volume shooter who has yet to have a good game against a ranked team this year. I think it's very telling with PJ3 that against ranked opponents, he's averaging just 10 points (and 5.5 rbs) in six games. In those same six games, Quincy Miller is averaging 15 pts. Jones might put together some wins that change my opinion in March. But there's nothing he's exceptional at, and when it comes to multi-tool guys, there are better options - particularly at SF - in this draft.

Comment

Why bother taking AD if we have a sorted front court for next season? Sure he's an incredibly useful player, but i think to address the position needs is more important this draft.

Unless we draft and use him to trade for the position most needed? Which now i'dsay is more at the point as JJ has been showing some stickiness towards our team. Get rid of Bayless or Calderon in off season (highly likely I'm guessing), draft a PG in MKG and let who's left out of JC or JB back up our pick?

Comment

If the Raps can't get Davis, then I'd do everything possible to get MKG, Thomas Robinson, or, as a last resort, Barnes.
                              Those first 2 guys have everything that the Raps have always needed; grit, heart, rebounding and defense.
                              Barnes you pick because maybe he can teach DeRozen how to dribble.

Comment

Working...
                              X