No announcement yet.

Jonas named Young Men's Player of the Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyways, I'm pumped for big Val to finally play here. One thing that really stood out for me is how he moved around on the court. It's almost graceful. And dude is 7 foot. Do you know how rare that is?
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      Bargnani isn't exactly a "board crasher". And The Raptors' best season to date was without TMac (2000-01).

Having said that, I don't think there will be significant improvements next season with 2 rookies playing heavy minutes. The team has potential to be good in 2-4 years, but it depends on who Colangelo finds to replace Calderon. He's not our long-term answer at PG.
      i meant like in 2 seasons

Comment

This thread would have a much different feeling to it if Bargs had not been playing at such a high level. It would probably revolve around "who can we trade Bargs for, since JV is the answer..." Thank you Coach Casey for waking the dragon.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
          Hhhmmm, isnt that what they pretty much said about Bargnani before he was drafted by the Raptors?

Im not being negative, just saying it was the same expectations as when Bargnani was being scouted.

But i cant wait to see next year's team. With JV, draft pick and FAs.... WHOA!!!!
          Buzzkill is what you did. :-)

You dont really believe there was as much info on Bargs as there is on JV do you? If memory serves me, Bargs was a bit of a mystery with all the hype provided by BC & Gherardinhi. There is much more independent stuff on JV as well as his body of work this past year. I will agree that he needs to live upto it but I do believe that his curve will be sharper comparatively. Yes?

Comment

What I like about JV is what you can see on the replays. He is quick, active, can set picks and rolls to the basket very well, collects rebounds at a high rate (which means he understands where the ball is bouncing to, like Rodman did), is good at put-backs, runs the floor, he boxes out, has great FT % and is accurate on his jump shots from 10 ft. Oh, and he is 7 ft tall and strong.

All of these things will translate very well to the NBA stage. I believe he is going to be a good scorer almost from the start (picking up free throw attempts at a high rate because when he gets the ball he goes for the rim) and, more importantly, he will be a scoring threat other teams are going to have to pay attention to. The other teams bigs will have to work to keep him away from the basket which will open up the lane for the likes of DeRozan and JJ. This is a dimension to his game that will be important for the second unit, and later in his first season the starters.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
              What I like about JV is what you can see on the replays. He is quick, active, can set picks and rolls to the basket very well, collects rebounds at a high rate (which means he understands where the ball is bouncing to, like Rodman did), is good at put-backs, runs the floor, he boxes out, has great FT % and is accurate on his jump shots from 10 ft. Oh, and he is 7 ft tall and strong.

All of these things will translate very well to the NBA stage. I believe he is going to be a good scorer almost from the start (picking up free throw attempts at a high rate because when he gets the ball he goes for the rim) and, more importantly, he will be a scoring threat other teams are going to have to pay attention to. The other teams bigs will have to work to keep him away from the basket which will open up the lane for the likes of DeRozan and JJ. This is a dimension to his game that will be important for the second unit, and later in his first season the starters.
              agree with everything but he will be starting out of the gate

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                agree with everything but he will be starting out of the gate
                "This is a dimension to his game that will be important for the second unit, and later in his first season the starters."

By which I meant to suggest he will be coming off the bench initially, but I suspect he will transition to the starting five in his first year.

Comment

haha. i mean he will be starting his first game

Comment

Could happen :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X