Aaron Gray - Going Forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaron Gray - Going Forward

I know a lot of talk on this board is devoted to finding our next all star, but just as important are the role players. I have been very impressed with the play of Aaron Gray thus far this season. As a 4th big playing 10 - 20 minutes a game I say we keep him around. He is a legit 7ft and has a lot of strength/bulk. He is an offensive liability but really all you are looking for as the 4th big is rim protection - hard screens - rebounding, any points he scores are a bonus. Who knows what he could grow into with steady minutes and some work on a go to post move or two. Davis and Amir are a bit of a redundancy and the likelihood is on the way out (heart says Davis - brain says Amir), so he is not likely to turn into that third big role.
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Absolutely. I am a huge fan of Gray's. He is a legit C.

Comment

If he can accept that he'll be nailed to that bench on most nights and he'll get paid close to the minimum, I'm all for keeping Gray around.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Absolutely. I am a huge fan of Gray's. He is a legit C.
        +1

Gray has been doing a consistently good job this year, and I'd love to see him back for another couple of years. Butler, Magloire and Carter can close the door on their way out.

Comment

Yup, agree that Gray would be a solid 4th big on the assumption that one of Amir or Davis is dealt.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
            If he can accept that he'll be nailed to that bench on most nights and he'll get paid close to the minimum, I'm all for keeping Gray around.
            My thoughts exactly. I think he can be a solid backup at the 5 much like Gortat was behind Dwight, but we all know how Gortat felt about being a back-up....and Gray is pretty much the same age, in the same stage in his career....

I hope he does stay.

JV/Bargs then Gray/Amir or Davis. Sick!

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
              I know a lot of talk on this board is devoted to finding our next all star, but just as important are the role players. I have been very impressed with the play of Aaron Gray thus far this season. As a 4th big playing 10 - 20 minutes a game I say we keep him around. He is a legit 7ft and has a lot of strength/bulk. He is an offensive liability but really all you are looking for as the 4th big is rim protection - hard screens - rebounding, any points he scores are a bonus. Who knows what he could grow into with steady minutes and some work on a go to post move or two. Davis and Amir are a bit of a redundancy and the likelihood is on the way out (heart says Davis - brain says Amir), so he is not likely to turn into that third big role.
              I will be very unhappy if the Raptors keep Aaron Gray as the 4th big with then intention of playing him 10-20 minutes per game. I am not sold on Jonas being average on the offensive side at this stage of his career, and if Gray has to play behind him and Ed Davis, three of the four big men are rather weak offensively.

I know, I know, Aaron, Ed, and Amir were all efficient scorers last year and could return to form again next year. But on the other hand, Amir and Ed are not scoring more when the volume shooter that is Bargnani is out.

There should be a rule that a player must average a minimum X points per 36 minutes before he can be called an efficient scorer.

Comment

efficient scoring just refers to shot attempts vs makes. Guys you don't run plays for typically are more "efficient"
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I think keeping Gray for another year would be cool. There aren't many good back up centres in this league. If we have him for a full off-season I think he can become a better player. With our new training staff, he may be able to shed some weight and increase his mobility. I love how well he hits the boards and can defend other bigs.

Comment

i think gray 4th big off the bench is a good idea. sometimes 3rd when matchups give davis/amir difficulties. of the two i think whichever gets us a better asset is the one that will be dealt. i also think that BigV will be able to put in 10-15 points a game if we have a point guard capable of the pick and roll.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                      I think keeping Gray for another year would be cool. There aren't many good back up centres in this league. If we have him for a full off-season I think he can become a better player. With our new training staff, he may be able to shed some weight and increase his mobility. I love how well he hits the boards and can defend other bigs.
                      He is turned 27 in December. I think he could be kept longer than just one year. Everything else is spot on though in my opinion.

Comment

we gotta get rid of amir or ed. Thing is i like them both very much and it would suck to lose either one

Comment

And what about Solly Alabi? Looks like he is going to be cashiered after this year.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                            Pretty much sums up what he'd be looking at next season. I think he's happy just to be on somebody's roster. They should hold on to him.

Comment

I am onboard the Gray bandwagon {such as it is :-)}

Comment

Working...
                              X