Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jeremy Lin: evidence that Raps will never win anything

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Brandon
    replied
    The Raptors have had some of the worst ownership in the NBA since they came into being. It continues. Bad owners tend to lose consistently. Good owners tend to win. Not every year, but more often than not. Look what happened to the Lakers after Buss took over, or the Mavs after Cuban.
    It's just incompetence, not a league-wide conspiracy.

    Leave a comment:


  • mcHAPPY
    replied
    charlz wrote: View Post
    ok Raptorsss gets it thanks - that is all I was really trying to say.
    Sometimes it is not what you say (or type) but how you say it (or type it).


    *EDIT* Actually that comes off as preach-y which was not the intent. I originally read it and thought it was a conspiracy theory post. I do agree with what you meant and Raptorsss post.

    Leave a comment:


  • charlz
    replied
    Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    I'm not saying that there is, or is not a conspiracy. But as charlz says, its in the NBA's best interest to have the biggest television markets, having teams in the playoffs. And to have the games, biggest stars to get favouritism, since they are what draws eyeballs.

    Toronto doesn't have a super-star and not single one of their games are on ESPN or TNT this year. The stars will continue to get the calls and until the NBA enacts a performance review of the officiating after every game, like in the NHL the biased officiating will continue.
    ok Raptorsss gets it thanks - that is all I was really trying to say.

    Leave a comment:


  • brothersteve
    replied
    charlz wrote: View Post
    ....

    Toronto never gets stars and when it does they go for a nothing in return
    Vince Carter for Alonzo Mourning Eric Williams and Joey Graham...?
    Tracey McGrady for???
    Damon Stoudamire for??
    Roy Hibbert for???
    Not wanting to interrupt a good rant but -

    Damon Stoudamire for ... Alvin Williams - you might remember him, one of the most popular Raptors ever?

    Roy Hibbert for .... part of the Jermaine O'Neal trade - a gamble that didn't pay off but looked good at the time.

    Let's keep the "we are getting stiffed" rants to the facts.

    Leave a comment:


  • Raptorsss
    replied
    I'm not saying that there is, or is not a conspiracy. But as charlz says, its in the NBA's best interest to have the biggest television markets, having teams in the playoffs. And to have the games, biggest stars to get favouritism, since they are what draws eyeballs.

    Toronto doesn't have a super-star and not single one of their games are on ESPN or TNT this year. The stars will continue to get the calls and until the NBA enacts a performance review of the officiating after every game, like in the NHL the biased officiating will continue.

    Leave a comment:


  • yertu damkule
    replied
    Macc wrote: View Post
    NBA needs to promote a new Chinese player now that Yao Ming has retired. I'm just going to laugh when Lin goes back to playing like a scrub and everyone feels stupid.
    you do know he's taiwanese, right? they (taiwan & china) aren't exactly the best of buds. i'm sure that's largely irrelevant to the point you're grasping for, he's obviously going to have a strong fan base of asians...but to intimate that it will be anything close to yao's seems a bit much.

    it's pretty hard to gauge anyone's impact or ability when they're only on the floor for a few minutes every 3rd or 4th game...but the first game this year in which he got any decent burn, he put up 9/6/3 in 20 minutes in a (close) loss to hou.

    look, there's really no way to determine how this is going to play out, but at the very least, he seems to have enough NBA-quality skill to at worst be a contributor. the likelihood that he goes back to 'playing like a scrub' - or to getting scrub minutes - seems fairly remote. but hey, anything's possible.

    Leave a comment:


  • Puffer
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure they'd give the Raptors a #1 overall pick if they were trying to hold them down.
    Yeah but it was a weak draft year, and they made Colangelo pick AB.

    (joke)

    Leave a comment:


  • Apollo
    replied
    I'm not sure they'd give the Raptors a #1 overall pick if they were trying to hold them down.

    Leave a comment:


  • Macc
    replied
    I don't know about a conspiracy for keeping the Raptors in the basement. They had a chance with Carter and T-Mac but made terrible management decisions. As for the referees I often find NBA refs the worst in sports. The refs did influence the Knicks comeback for sure as the Knicks got every call they needed and the Raps got shit in the 2nd half. NBA needs to promote a new Chinese player now that Yao Ming has retired. I'm just going to laugh when Lin goes back to playing like a scrub and everyone feels stupid.

    Leave a comment:


  • NoPropsneeded
    replied
    Lin does get BS calls by the refs in his favor. In the MSG he drives to the basket and barley gets skimmed by a guys jersey and he gets an AND 1. I've seen this multiple times, don't get me wrong i think Lin is good its just some calls are just plain stupid. The NBA Refs suck balls thats all i have to say.

    Leave a comment:


  • TheGloveinRapsUniform
    replied
    Nilanka wrote: View Post
    One of the biggest critics have been Mark Cuban, though.
    Oh...but he's always been a crybaby. haha.

    Leave a comment:


  • Nilanka
    replied
    tbihis wrote: View Post
    I agree, no conspiracy. But if there are rumblings about bad officiating, then the league should do something about it. But they havent, not even a comment to the press about this issue, which leads me to believe that the NBA does favor some teams when it comes to officiating. No matter how hard some teams play, at the end of the day, its still a business. The bigger market teams make more money for the NBA so why not give them a little edge?
    One of the biggest critics have been Mark Cuban, though.

    Leave a comment:


  • charlz
    replied
    hateslosing wrote: View Post
    Are you serious? You think that biased refereeing is a reason for this kid's rise?

    He is phenomenal. In the 6 games he has played large minutes for the Knicks they are undefeated. He has scored more than 20 points in all of those games and is averaging 8.5 assists. Adding to that he is playing in the largest market in the NBA and is basically making them relevant when guys like Carmello and Amare couldn't.

    You think that this is some conspiracy by the NBA? Dude, the refs can't make a guy that good. You don't get assists because the refs are making calls. You don't hit game winning threes with 0.5 seconds left because the league wants you to be a star. You do those things because you're amazing.

    Is it awesome for the league that Lin is of Asian decent? Does it make it a bigger story in the media? Yes it certainly does, especially since there are so few Asian stars in the NBA, but the fact is what this guy is doing is amazing and no amount of NBA fixing could have set this up.

    There is no conspiracy. This is simply one of the best stories the NBA has had for the last decade and it is being treated as such.
    I am disappointed that I did not really convey my point well. I can tell by the replies that i did not do a good job.

    I wish we had more players from Asian decent it warms the heart to see Basketball shatter foolish prejudices. Fields Lin and Amare all bumping chests and rejoicing together is a special scene even if it comes after Lin hits a 3 pointer to sink my team.

    Anyhow always follow the money - if Lin can hang on and continue his exciting play - when the NBA sells a package of games to Chinese or Taiwan cable you can bet it will be that much more in demand and that much more lucrative.

    But to my first point and the point of this post - the NBA and MLSE has very little to gain or loose if Raps are perennial losers or winners so other than the occasional scrawny bone here or there - not much to chew on and I see no reason to expect it to change.

    Leave a comment:


  • TheGloveinRapsUniform
    replied
    Nilanka wrote: View Post
    For what it's worth, it's been noted (by many teams) that officiating has been well below standards this season. I'm sure the Raptors aren't the only team complaining. No conspiracy here.
    I agree, no conspiracy. But if there are rumblings about bad officiating, then the league should do something about it. But they havent, not even a comment to the press about this issue, which leads me to believe that the NBA does favor some teams when it comes to officiating. No matter how hard some teams play, at the end of the day, its still a business. The bigger market teams make more money for the NBA so why not give them a little edge?

    Leave a comment:


  • Deadallus
    replied
    Don't blame the league. Its more the fault of an inept front office, uneducated ignorant players, and a roster full of players who are scared to stick their neck out in the big moment. Without Bargnani to take a big shot in the clutch this team is cooked.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X