Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shawn Marion?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Shawn Marion?

    "Dallas...do you see Mark Cuban telling everyone how great Shawn Marion is, he's all defensive team, why does't anybody appreciate Shawn Marion? because he's trying to get his contract off so he'll have the cap space to sign both Deron Williams and Dwight Howard. If they get rid of Shawn Marion, then Dallas is in the game for both those guys and then, they'll be right there with the Nets in getting both guys."



    I would not mind in the least if he comes here initially to start and then mentor James Johnson eventually coming off the bench
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

  • #2
    An interesting thought. Barbosa would almost certainly be part of the trade, to balance the salary. If I were BC, the conversation wouldn't even start without at least one 1st-round pick coming back my way in the deal.

    Given the liklihood of targeting a wing in the draft (Barnes/MKG/Miller/Lamb), it would certainly make things interesting with regards to the future of DeRozan/Kleiza/JJ, as that would be 5 players for 2 positions. BC would suddenly have even more assets (since he faces the same dilemma @ PF) to work with, giving himself lots of options, on top of the additional 1st round pick from Dallas.

    Comment


    • #3
      CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      An interesting thought. Barbosa would almost certainly be part of the trade, to balance the salary. If I were BC, the conversation wouldn't even start without at least one 1st-round pick coming back my way in the deal.

      Given the liklihood of targeting a wing in the draft (Barnes/MKG/Miller/Lamb), it would certainly make things interesting with regards to the future of DeRozan/Kleiza/JJ, as that would be 5 players for 2 positions. BC would suddenly have even more assets (since he faces the same dilemma @ PF) to work with, giving himself lots of options, on top of the additional 1st round pick from Dallas.
      Dallas sent their 2012 pick to the Lakers (top 20 protected). So the first 1st round pick available would not be until 2014.

      Comment


      • #4
        Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Dallas sent their 2012 pick to the Lakers (top 20 protected). So the first 1st round pick available would not be until 2014.
        Well that's not good. Doubly bad, since they can't even trade their 2013 1st round pick then. At least that would have been a nice asset to have on draft night. Unless they can work a multi-team deal, to get a 1st round pick in this draft (essentially for Barbosa), then I wouldn't want to take on Marion's contract.

        Comment


        • #5
          Is there such a thing as "free agent blocking"? I mean if it improves Dallas's chances of acquiring both D. Will and D. Howard and keep yet another super power (Boston, New York) from entering our division then perhaps it's a tactical move BC should consider. With Phillie's improvement from within and New Jersy possibly adding D. Howard it's not going to matter whom the Raptors draft ... we'll be at the bottom of the Atlantic for years to come.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'd take Shawn Marion in a second. He was great when he was here before after the JO fiasco and he already has the Casey connection. He fits this team to a tee, he's a great defender, and he is a good leader. If there was one vet type guy the Raps were to go after, I'd pick him. He's worth it.
            The only issue I see is what do we do at the 3? Do you keep JJ and Kleiza or are you forced to move one? I personally want to keep Kleiza, he will likely help Jonas get used to the NBA since they are both Lithuanian.
            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

            -Churchill

            Comment


            • #7
              I saw this kind of deal mention in a board on realgm.

              something like ....

              Shawn marion and Rodrigue beaubois

              for

              James johnson and leandro barbosa.

              In the 2012 draft we select either barnes or miller-kidd to be mentored by marion.
              Beaubois is 23 yrs old and very athletic. he would look great on the raps.

              Comment


              • #8
                I don't like this idea. Marion is a guy who has depended on athleticism a lot in his career to be a high impact player. The Raptors are better suited to hit the market running than to do this unless the Mavs are willing to cough up a few 1st round picks: one late first round pick for each year the Raptors have to carry Marion's $9M/yr salary.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Apollo wrote: View Post
                  I don't like this idea. Marion is a guy who has depended on athleticism a lot in his career to be a high impact player. The Raptors are better suited to hit the market running than to do this unless the Mavs are willing to cough up a few 1st round picks: one late first round pick for each year the Raptors have to carry Marion's $9M/yr salary.
                  and at 34 years of age and still relying on athleticism....might not be good for a young team.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    tbihis wrote: View Post
                    and at 34 years of age and still relying on athleticism....might not be good for a young team.
                    Agreed. That was precisely why my first post said I'd only do a deal if it was something like this:

                    TO TOR
                    - Marion
                    - 1st round pick

                    TO DAL
                    - Barbosa


                    Between eating Marion's salary (essentially becoming our free agent signing) and getting a player at a position that is already somewhat logjammed and likely becoming even moreso after the draft (Barnes/MKG/Miller/Lamb), the 1st round pick would be a fair tradeoff for me.

                    Amir/Davis, DD/JJ/Kleiza and possibly Bayless, would be 3 tradeable assets remaining. Even if Dallas were to give us their 2014 1st round pick, I'm sure the Raps could add that pick to one of the player assets, to acquire another 1st round pick in this year's draft. Definitely worth considering, but only with a 1st round pick coming back from Dallas with Marion.
                    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Feb 17, 2012, 01:45 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Getting back one late first rounder isn't enough to kill the Raptors' cap in the only two off-seasons they're likely to be able to sign anyone beyond the MLE. At least if they get two they could use them to potentially trade up into the lottery or sweeten the pot in a later trade for a roster upgrade.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Marion is a solid player, even given he has regressed from his Phoenix days, however I dont see how he improves our team right now. I think it is a side-ways move at best. We need long-term pieces, not stop-gap measures for 1-2 years. I rather take my chances in free agency with someone younger and more to contribute to our team. I'm perfectly fine with what JJ is bringing us and would not want take on Shawn Marion and his contract to usurp JJ.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          And JJ isn't too far off passing Marion in terms of impact. One player is on the rise and the other is near ready to hit a steep decline.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Apollo wrote: View Post
                            And JJ isn't too far off passing Marion in terms of impact. One player is on the rise and the other is near ready to hit a steep decline.
                            Agreed 100%. Not to mention that when it comes time to re-up JJ he is getting at most half the salary that Marion currently commands.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Marion is owed about 18 mill over next 2 yrs. I think we could get Batum for that kind of money (and prob. a bit less)... and much younger.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X