Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESPN: "Lots of teams are calling Toronto about Jose Calderon and Andrea Bargnani"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars
    replied
    ceez wrote: View Post
    you guys really overvalue augustine's PG skills. he's a black hole. there's a reason they've been closing games out with kemba at PG.
    In no way do I think Augustine is an all-star or anything.. but according to the clutch stats from 82games.com.. he scores the most points for the Bobcats (and 31st in the league) in the last 5 mins of the game... he has had some bad games, but so has Calderon.

If we trade away Calderon we'll need a PG that can actually pass the ball. I know Bayless is not the answer and a simple trade between Bayless and Augustine works for me. We use Augustine in the short term until we find the right PG for our future (like Marshall or Kabongo).

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Isn't Kemba considered an instant-offense combo-guard too?
    Fair enough.. but Kemba is their PG of the future, and I don't think DJ is happy playing with the Bobcats any more (I don't blame him)... it's more wishful thinking on my part but Charlotte is the worst offensive team in the league and a guy like Bayless would give them more points.

Leave a comment:

• ceez
    replied
    you guys really overvalue augustine's PG skills. he's a black hole. there's a reason they've been closing games out with kemba at PG.

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    Isn't Kemba considered an instant-offense combo-guard too?

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Yes, I would like to get the higher of the 2 LA picks (or both!), as well as Charlotte's 2nd round pick (which would be in the 31-35 overall range), in addition to Calderon's approx. $10M worth of cap space made available once Diaw's contract expires at the end of the season.
    I'm all for the idea of this trade happening but what would be even nicer would be a swap of Bayless for Augustin as well. I think that makes more sense for both teams.

Both are RFA's. Augustin is more of a true PG but Charlotte has Kemba in the wings. Bayless on the other hand is a combo-guard that can give you instant offense. Something Charlotte is lacking.

I don't think DJ is our answer long term, but if Toronto has his rights they would be able to match any offer that comes his way during free agency. And they can get a sense of what he brings to the table in the last 25 games of the season.

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    oh his contract expires this year? sign me up then!

edit: only if we get a pick or 2 out of it though
    Yes, I would like to get the higher of the 2 LA picks (or both!), as well as Charlotte's 2nd round pick (which would be in the 31-35 overall range), in addition to Calderon's approx. $10M worth of cap space made available once Diaw's contract expires at the end of the season.

Leave a comment:

• ceez
    replied
    oh his contract expires this year? sign me up then!

edit: only if we get a pick or 2 out of it though

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    Diaw? Barf.
    Nothing wrong with Diaw as an expiring contract. He might even come in handy during the final 25 games if Kleiza's knee explodes.

Leave a comment:

• ceez
    replied
    Diaw? Barf.

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    Can this work? Isn't there restrictions on moving players back to back like that. Like after trading for a player you can't just move him right away.

*EDIT*

I answered my own question

"For two months after receiving the player in trade or claiming him off waivers, if the player's salary is aggregated with the salaries of other players. However, the team is free to trade the player either by himself (not packaged with other players), or without combining his salary with other salaries to acquire a more expensive player, immediately. This restriction applies only to teams over the salary cap. "
    Last edited by saints91; Wed Mar 7, 2012, 12:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jimmie
    replied
    OK, this one I could potentially get behind, especially if Charlotte does throw in a pick so that we get 2 picks and an expiring contract who can still play a bit. I still hate to lose Jose, but this is a pretty decent deal, and seems to satisfy all parties. It would mean an ugly last 30 games, with Bayless or point-forward Diaw running the O, but it provides a lot more return/cap flex for Calderon than some of the other ideas thrown out there...

Leave a comment:

• Ryan_1523
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    The Lakers have two first rounders. One happens to be the 20th overall pick right now. Diaw has an expiring contract. If they opted for this they would clear Calderon's contract so that they have more money to play with in free agency and they add a second 1st rounder. With that they could totally revamp their point guard spot signing a guy like D.J. Augustin and then drafting a PG prospect with thier second 1st rounder. They would also have to option of resigning Diaw, who is a highly effective multidimensional player when motivated. His next contract will be a fraction of his current. He can play both forward spots and center by the way.

This is not me supporting the rumor, this is me making sense of it.
    Yeah, that makes more sense and I'm not hating on Diaw, just doesn't fit our needs right now. I wouldn't mind what you're proposing but I wouldn't wanna overpay for a guy like Augustin just because we're in need of a pg, so there does appear to be some risk in that sort of deal. Obviously another first rounder wouldn't hurt, and having a little more money to throw at guys in the offseason would help. I wouldn't be completely opposed to it, and I guess it does open things up a little in case we did trade Amir or Ed. Let's see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Ryan_1523 wrote: View Post
    Just curious, why would we want Diaw? We just looking to give away Calderon, or? Just doesn't make sense to me.. Bayless blows, so we have no starting pg.. A team run by Bayless and AC? That's enough to give you nightmares.
    The Lakers have two first rounders. One happens to be the 20th overall pick right now. Diaw has an expiring contract. If they opted for this they would clear Calderon's contract so that they have more money to play with in free agency and they add a second 1st rounder. With that they could totally revamp their point guard spot signing a guy like D.J. Augustin and then drafting a PG prospect with thier second 1st rounder. They would also have to option of resigning Diaw, who is a highly effective multidimensional player when motivated. His next contract will be a fraction of his current. He can play both forward spots and center by the way.

This is not me supporting the rumor, this is me making sense of it.

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Total speculation on author's part and noted:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/diaw-as-trade-pawn

This is very similar to the idea I had of LA trading for Hinrich and sending him back to Toronto. I don't think the trade would work straight up, which it would have to, due to Calderon's trade kicker. However, players are free to waive that if they agree. To play for a contender and with Gasol in LA, I wonder if Calderon would do such a thing? This is obviously speculation on my part.
    Interesting idea. I hope Toronto would get more than just LA's 1st round pick, since that wouldn't seem like enough in return for Calderon.

Diaw is an expiring contract and I assume Charlotte would cover a good portion of his contract anyway, given that they are rumored to be considered buying him out. If Toronto were to pay even a portion of his contract for the remainder of the season, I'd love it if we made Charlotte include their 2nd round pick for taking Diaw off their hands (would likely be pick 31-35).
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Mar 6, 2012, 06:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NoPropsneeded
    replied
    Trade for D collison!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X