Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marc Gasol suprised at how Raptors fans view Jose Calderon

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Marc Gasol suprised at how Raptors fans view Jose Calderon

    Source: Toronto Sun

  • #2
    I don't understand it either.

    To be honest, I'd be happy if he never left.

    Comment


    • #3
      joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      I don't understand it either.

      To be honest, I'd be happy if he never left.
      +10000000

      Jose is the second best player on this team. I don't get wanting to move him at all.
      "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

      -Churchill

      Comment


      • #4
        Keep Jose. Keep Jose. Keep Jose. Let him retire a Raptor. One of the best all-time IMO. Great story for him too.
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

        Comment


        • #5
          Just another day of the average Raptors fan.

          I'll admit that there were times I wanted Jose traded, but only because I recognized his skill and what he could bring back. I have the utmost respect for him (his skill and more importantly, his attitude).

          Comment


          • #6
            Jose is easily top 10 PG in the league if not top 5...the MOST loyal player in the NBA, let him retire a raptor!

            Comment


            • #7
              i like jose i just hate his contract LOL

              Comment


              • #8
                Another vote for keeping Jose. He has improved his defense and as the trade rumours percolate, it is evident that he is easy to covet and hard to replace.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I would bet that most in favour of moving him is not because of how he plays nor the person & teammate he is but that the state of the ongoing evolution of this team alongwith his age, current value, salary/term and the possible return makes him a valuable trade asset. I would be very unhappy if he did not bring back a 1st at the very least (in this good draft). If not, I would rather keep him. This is about the long term progress of the team not about any one player. His position is an important one (my own belief is that pg & centre are the most important) so it becomes an even more difficult especially when we dont have a currently available replacement. Difficult choice but one in my view which needs to be done...with "value" coming back.

                  The Grizzlies are a very nice team but even they are going to come up against some cap reality. I bet a lot of their fans dont want to move Mayo...but he maybe gone soon or after this year....or Zach R.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Bendit wrote: View Post
                    ...his position is an important one (my own belief is that pg & centre are the most important) so it becomes an even more difficult especially when we dont have a currently available replacement. Difficult choice but one in my view which needs to be done...with "value" coming back....
                    When you have a PG who is acknowledged "top five" in the league, then you are not going to get value back unless you are willing to go forward with a less than "top five " PG replacement (remember this is one of the two most important positions on the team) and can acquire a "top three" something else.

                    Much of the talk around trading Jose has been predicated on the belief that this will be his best year and he is facing some steep drop off starting next year (whether due to age or injury). I would argue against both of those conclusions. His role on the Spanish national team will be reduced. And I think he is in tremendous shape. I believe he can play at this or near this level for another 3 - 4 years. He could well be at or near his peak when the Raptors are hitting their stride. Given the roster that is going to be hear for the next 2-3 years, the Raptors need a PG who makes his team mates better.

                    I don't see anyone coming up, or any likely trades who can do that better than Jose. I strive to imagine his assist numbers if the Raptors, as a team, weren't shooting at the 27th position for effective FG%

                    http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats

                    Keep him.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It's Quite Simple Actually

                      I don't get why people can't understand why fans want Jose traded. Don't get me wrong, he is a great player, but I want him moved for the following reasons:
                      1. Despite what was mentioned in this thread, he is not a "top 5" point guard in the league. I'd say top 10 likely, but top 5 is a huge stretch.
                      2. His contract isn't great.
                      3. At 30 years old, he's really at his peak right now and will only get worse. In 2-3 years, when the raps are potentially contending for something, will he be the guy we want running this team? I.E. he's not the point guard of the future on a rebuilding team such as the raps.
                      4. When he has another dud of a year like he did last year, we'll all be lamenting why he wasn't traded when he was at his peak value such as right now.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Top 5? Where would you put Calderon in this list?

                        Rose
                        CP3
                        D Will
                        Westbrook
                        Rondo
                        Nash
                        Parker
                        Lowry
                        Jennings
                        John Wall
                        Kyrie Irving
                        Teague
                        Ty Lawson
                        Ricky Rubio
                        Stephen Curry
                        Dru Holiday
                        Mike Conley
                        Tyreke Evans
                        Devin Harris

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Puffer wrote: View Post
                          When you have a PG who is acknowledged "top five" in the league, then you are not going to get value back unless you are willing to go forward with a less than "top five " PG replacement (remember this is one of the two most important positions on the team) and can acquire a "top three" something else.

                          Much of the talk around trading Jose has been predicated on the belief that this will be his best year and he is facing some steep drop off starting next year (whether due to age or injury). I would argue against both of those conclusions. His role on the Spanish national team will be reduced. And I think he is in tremendous shape. I believe he can play at this or near this level for another 3 - 4 years. He could well be at or near his peak when the Raptors are hitting their stride. Given the roster that is going to be hear for the next 2-3 years, the Raptors need a PG who makes his team mates better.

                          I don't see anyone coming up, or any likely trades who can do that better than Jose. I strive to imagine his assist numbers if the Raptors, as a team, weren't shooting at the 27th position for effective FG%

                          http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats

                          Keep him.
                          There is no doubt that this is a difficult descision especially after the year he is having. I will ask if you felt the same way when he just about became a Bobcat last year? Maybe unfair question but such are the ups & downs of the nba and individual players. Jose has been here a few years but not all have been of this vintage. How sure can we be that he will be the same next year and thereafter consistently or could he revert to the previous couple. If we were a playoff team and could afford to keep him for deep runs I would just as the teams who want him seem to be those gearing up for the show....but alas. Hope fully we can get a f/a of some experience to perform the same duties (eg Andre Miller) until we can draft and groom a young one growing with the rest of the team. I assume BC & co. have a plan for that position if they move him.

                          I just sense some of the posters (not you necessarily) are being too sentimental about Jose but we all know if we are serious about team building this is a luxury we cannot afford. The decisions made in the next few months are going to be crucial no doubt.

                          There is one point you make I will not argue with...the Raptors requiring a PG to make his teammates better...the team also needs more talent in a number of areas including depth. Therein lies the conundrum.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'd keep him for his unselfish play and professionalism and of course, because there's no one behind him at his position. Period.
                            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              optifan wrote: View Post
                              I don't get why people can't understand why fans want Jose traded. Don't get me wrong, he is a great player, but I want him moved for the following reasons:
                              1. Despite what was mentioned in this thread, he is not a "top 5" point guard in the league. I'd say top 10 likely, but top 5 is a huge stretch.
                              2. His contract isn't great.
                              3. At 30 years old, he's really at his peak right now and will only get worse. In 2-3 years, when the raps are potentially contending for something, will he be the guy we want running this team? I.E. he's not the point guard of the future on a rebuilding team such as the raps.
                              4. When he has another dud of a year like he did last year, we'll all be lamenting why he wasn't traded when he was at his peak value such as right now.
                              I most definitely agree with most of this except top 10 is also a huge stretch.

                              I would also like to point out Toronto has never finished better than .500 with him as the starting PG (that was 4 years ago) and he was the starting PG for 22 win team last year and the 4th worst team by record in the league this year. The Raptors need talent upgrades all over the roster and PG is no different.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X