No announcement yet.

Is Solomon Alabi a part of the future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Solomon Alabi a part of the future?

At the end of the season, Raptors can pick up their team option for Solomon Alabi, witch is worth 890 000$. If you were Bryan Colangelo, would you re-sign him, or would you rather get another 3rd center via free agency or via your second round draft pick?

At this point, he seems like a waste of a roster spot. It doesn't feel like there is much motivation to groom him into a serviceable NBA player, or whether he's even capable of becoming one.

Comment

I was hopeful that we would see Alabi get some playing time this season, to see what potential he has to be part of the team's future. Given the fact that he hasn't earned any playing time, even on this team in a lost season, I fully expect he's done after this season (just another in a long line of project C's this team has seen come and go over the years). Personally, I wouldn't waste another cent on him, I'd take my chances with some other prospect or min-wage vet.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        At this point, he seems like a waste of a roster spot. It doesn't feel like there is much motivation to groom him into a serviceable NBA player, or whether he's even capable of becoming one.
        I kinda agree, but since we won't make the playoffs this season anyway, I'd like to see what he can do on the floor for a real 20 minutes. Even when Bargnani is not there, Casey does not put him on the court...

And CalgaryRaps Fan, I agree too. I looked at some nba mock drafts, and there is this canadian center named Robert Sacre who is projected in the beginning of the second round. If saw him play a bit last year and I think we could take a chance on him.
        Last edited by charlesnba23; Wed Mar 7, 2012, 12:05 PM.

Comment

I was hoping he'd get some playing time, but I think Casey is sending a message that Alabi isn't part of this teams future.
          -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
          -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
            I kinda agree, but since we won't make the playoffs this season anyway, I'd like to see what he can do on the floor for a real 20 minutes. Even when Bargnani is not there, Casey does not put him on the court...

And CalgaryRaps Fan, I agree too. I looked at some nba mock drafts, and there is this canadian center named Robert Sacre who is projected in the beginning of the second round. If saw him play a bit last year and I think we could take a chance on him.
            Would love to see Sacre is a Raps uni, tough SOB

Comment

At this point, i think most of us are saying no right? I'm definitely on this side of the debate but I can't help but see what Ian Mahinmi is doin in Dallas this year...same type of player/situation. Solo might be worth Jamaal Magloire's spot on the roster next year for that price, give him another summer league and training camp, you never know. I think I read somewhere that Alabi didn't even start playing til he was 17 or something...

Comment

IROR wrote: View Post
                At this point, i think most of us are saying no right? I'm definitely on this side of the debate but I can't help but see what Ian Mahinmi is doin in Dallas this year...same type of player/situation. Solo might be worth Jamaal Magloire's spot on the roster next year for that price, give him another summer league and training camp, you never know. I think I read somewhere that Alabi didn't even start playing til he was 17 or something...
                We've seen enough C projects like Alabi... they're a dime-a-dozen
                - Mamadou N'Diaye
                - Nathan Jawaii
                - Patrick O'Bryant
                - Pape Sow
                - Yogi Stewart
                - Loren Woods
                - Alexis Ajinca

Assuming Valanciunas and Gray are the top 2 C next season, I'd either roll the dice with a new prospect or keep an ultra-cheap veteran around (ie: I'd rather keep Magloire as the 3rd string C next season than Alabi).

Comment

Ok so let's see the options, assuming we are getting our 3rd center via 2nd round draft pick or a veteran:
                  Centers who are projected in the second round of the draft:
                  Festus Ezeli from Vanderbilt
                  Jeff Withey from Kansas
                  Robert Sacre from Gonzaga (Canadian)
                  Ognjen Kuzmic from Malaga (Spain)
                  Dusan Cantekin from Mega Vizura (Serbia) That dude is 7'4.

Centers who are currently in the NBA and who are FA this summer and that could fill that 3rd center spot:
                  Jamaal Magloire (Canadian, currently with the team)
                  Tony Battie
                  Eddy Curry
                  Jason Collins
                  Hasheem Thabeet
                  Hamed Haddadi
                  Daniel Orton
                  Solomon Alabi
                  Last edited by charlesnba23; Wed Mar 7, 2012, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I dont even think we can comment on Alabi since nobody's seen him play this season.

Is that saying he's a lot worse than POB? At least POB got minutes when he was here.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                      Ok so let's see the options, assuming we are getting our 3rd center via 2nd round draft pick or a veteran:
                      Centers who are projected in the beginning of the second round of the draft:
                      Festus Ezeli from Vanderbilt
                      Jeff Withey from Kansas
                      Robert Sacre from Gonzaga (Canadian)

Centers who are currently in the NBA and who are FA this summer and that could fill that 3rd center spot:
                      Jamaal Magloire (Canadian, currently with the team)
                      Tony Battie
                      Eddy Curry
                      Jason Collins
                      Hasheem Thabeet
                      Hamed Haddadi
                      Daniel Orton
                      Solomon Alabi
                      What about Earl Barron? Didnt he average a double-double at some point with NYK?

Comment

We can certainly comment on Alabi. He's 95% likely not even an NBA 3rd-string C and 99% won't be with the Raptors next year. Go to Europe, Solo, make some money.

"We" (the fans) don't need to see any of these end-of-benchers play to see what they can do. 20 minutes a game to Alabi??? Please. The coaches see him every day, and they're much better judges of NBA talent than any of us will ever be, regardless of what our egos might tell us. If he's not playing, there's a reason, and I don't need to see him struggling out there and ruining the game for everyone else just to prove it to me.

And why would anyone assume Toronto is after a 3rd-string C anyway? Valanciunas and Gray will likely get the bulk of the minutes, with a sprinkling of Amir. If anything, they should keep Magloire as that in-a-pinch guy.

Man, these dog-days threads can get pretty silly...
                        Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Do we even need a 3rd center?

Comment

Do we even need a 3rd center? Miami barely has one.
                            They do have a 3rd-stringer, but he's starting (Joel Anthony). ;-)
                            Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Do we even need a 3rd center?
                              Well I think it's important go have some insurance behind your core, in case of injuries. Call up a dleague guy does not seem to be the best option to me, since he won't know any of the plays and strategies.

Jimmie, I did not say 20 minutes a game for Alabi. I meant maybe one or two games, just to see what he got. But like you said, who are we to know if a guy deserves his spot on a team. There are Gms and coaches for this. But why not discuss about the future of the team we love so much?

Comment

Working...
                              X