Jerryd Bayless considers himself nothing but a PG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerryd Bayless considers himself nothing but a PG

Just slightly off the trade radar has been the Raptors back-up point guard Jerryd Bayless. Toronto didn’t pick up the final option year on his rookie contract and can make him a restricted free agent this summer in keeping with Colangelo’s plan for salary cap flexibility, plus Bayless has not made a secret of his desire to be a starting point guard at some point in his career. Coach Casey however handed the starting job back to the veteran Jose Calderon and assigned Bayless the back-up role. This marks the third time in his short NBA career that Bayless has been stuck behind a veteran point guard who is playing well.

“Sooner or later I do want to do that and hopefully some day that happens,” said Bayless. “But right now I am here and this is the role I have been given so I am going to do whatever to help this team.”

In an effort to get Bayless more minutes, Casey has started the young combo guard at the two several times, but this isn’t the role Bayless wants. When asked about it, Bayless was emphatic.

“I am playing the backup point and I’d rather play backup point and continue to do what I am,” said Bayless.

Bayless has been a solid player for the Raptors, both off the bench backing up Calderon and providing scoring from the off guard position and he isn’t causing any waves, but it seems unlikely the Raptors will be his first choice as a free agent and if the team wants an asset in return, the trade deadline may provide their best opportunity.

Source: Stephen Brotherston at HoopsWorld.com

If Bayless considers himself a point guard - and a starting PG someday at that - then that seals his fate in Toronto if I were making the decisions.

After all this talk about trading Calderon and Barbosa, might Bayless be the guard shipped out?

Comment

I don't see Bayless having much of a market unless it's a heck of a deal since I'm sure BC likes his expiring deal more than anything.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Since he arrived last year, I have been hopeful of Bayless getting shipped out. He's in the same mold as Ford and Jack, which isn't my cup of tea for the PG position.

I could see teams like LAL, LAC and Boston being interested in Bayless because he can play both guard spots (despite what he wants), can penetrate, knock down the 3 (albeit very streaky), play decent D and is an expiring contract potentially.

I was thinking something like Bayless & Amir to Boston for O'Neal's expiring contract & another of their expiring contracts (to balance salaries) & a 1st round pick. Gives Boston the young big they want and insurance at the PG position in case they decide to trade Rondo. Toronto gets a 1st round pick, they clear up the logjam at PF and get $8.6M in cap space for the offseason.
        Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Mar 8, 2012, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Ya, I have no clue how much value he would have. You never hear a rumour about him. I don't think his future as a point guard is very fruitful. Then again he is my least favourite player on this team, so I may have a slight bias. We might have to cash in a 2nd rounder to get anything of value you back for him.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            Since he arrived last year, I have been hopeful of Bayless getting shipped out. He's in the same mold as Ford and Jack, which isn't my cup of tea for the PG position.

I could see teams like LAL, LAC and Boston being interested in Bayless because he can play both guard spots (despite what he wants), can penetrate, knock down the 3 (albeit very streaky), play decent D and is an expiring contract potentially.

I was thinking something like Bayless & Amir to Boston for O'Neal's expiring contract & another of their expiring contracts (to balance salaries) & a 1st round pick. Gives Boston the young big they want and insurance at the PG position in case they decide to trade Rondo. Toronto gets a 1st round pick, they clear up the logjam at PF and get $8.6M in cap space for the offseason.

I really don't think we have a log jam at the PF position. Based on the injuries of Bargnani and Amir, I think we have nice depth at that position.

I would like to see something like Bayless and a 2nd rounder for Dragic or something like that.

Comment

I would like to see Bayless shipped out for almost anything, then look in the D league or overseas for a PG to develop.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                I would like to see Bayless shipped out for almost anything, then look in the D league or overseas for a PG to develop.

hahahaha

+1

Comment

Bayless might have the talent and even the skill level to be a starting PG in the NBA but his decision-making is so questionable that no coach is ever going to entrust him with running a team, at least a good one or one hoping to be good. Imagine being a head coach for a playoff team with your job constantly on the line and having your offense run on a nightly basis by Bayless. He makes me cringe 3 or 4 times a game, at least. Can you imagine what Casey goes through?

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                    Bayless might have the talent and even the skill level to be a starting PG in the NBA but his decision-making is so questionable that no coach is ever going to entrust him with running a team, at least a good one or one hoping to be good. Imagine being a head coach for a playoff team with your job constantly on the line and having your offense run on a nightly basis by Bayless. He makes me cringe 3 or 4 times a game, at least. Can you imagine what Casey goes through?
                    He can't even take defensive pressure, I just get scared watching him carry the ball up the court.
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                      I really don't think we have a log jam at the PF position. Based on the injuries of Bargnani and Amir, I think we have nice depth at that position.

I would like to see something like Bayless and a 2nd rounder for Dragic or something like that.
                      Bayless is very fast, can break a guy's ankles off the dribble and is one of the few Raptors (Barbosa/possibly Forbes) that can create his own shot. His shot isn't falling this season but he does have a shot and did take Calderon's job when it was last year - so did Jack for that matter! Unfortunately all that talent leads him to believe he doesn't need the rest of the team sometimes. Dragic found creative ways to stop the faster player. Would love to see Dragic starting then Bayless and West > 1.1 mil. long term contracts.

Comment

Bayless FTW

Lol I just finished defending Bayless on another post.

All you have to do is look at how Bayless has performed when he has been given 30+ min. a game to realize he can give us 18 pts 5 ast and 3 reb a game, with good defense.

I don't understand all the Bayless hating on these forums. This guy just needs a chance and he can explode. Someone just needs to give him free reign for a while and he could develop into a very good PG for us.

I can see him being a 6th man also, but their is no reason why he cannot start as a PG in this league, and do very well.
                        "Defense wins championships."

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                          Lol I just finished defending Bayless on another post.

All you have to do is look at how Bayless has performed when he has been given 30+ min. a game to realize he can give us 18 pts 5 ast and 3 reb a game, with good defense.

I don't understand all the Bayless hating on these forums. This guy just needs a chance and he can explode. Someone just needs to give him free reign for a while and he could develop into a very good PG for us.

I can see him being a 6th man also, but their is no reason why he cannot start as a PG in this league, and do very well.
                          I don't even know where to start.

Comment

Listen, what I am saying is even this year while he has been riddled with injuries his per 36 min. numbers are roughly as follows:

16 pts 5 ast 3 reb 0.8 stl 3 TO 3 PF

The reality is that he does not deserve all the constant hate he gets on these forums.

A healthy Bayless for an extended period of time who doesn't need to worry about his minutes could develop into a great player for us, similar to what happened with James Johnson. People forget that when Bayless came into the league he was highly touted in the draft, but has never really had a chance to play starters minutes for an extended period of time. When ever he has played starters minutes he has always been an explosive player. My thinking is: give the guy a chance.

Comment

Bayless has said repeated times "I like Toronto, I want to stay here, I like playing here, I think its great"

Despite what Stephen Brotherston says, I think Bayless is happy with his role, and unless he is offered a starting role somewhere else, or a chance to win a championship he stays in Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                              X