X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fk24
    replied
    SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
    The reality is that unless we are talking about stats all we are doing is giving our opinion/speculating. Show me the stats where his play as a SG is better than his play as a PG ... I respect the fact that you can stand by your opinion, I am just saying that whether or not he is a good player isn't as black and white as people on this forum would like to believe.

Its not easy to argue against the majority, but I wouldn't do it unless I believed in it. I think Bayless will be a part of the raptors, he is a great back up PG, who should start on this team if their was no Jose Calderon.
    If Jose gets traded then we should start Forbes.

Leave a comment:

• Chr1s1anL
    replied
    The reality is that unless we are talking about stats all we are doing is giving our opinion/speculating. Show me the stats where his play as a SG is better than his play as a PG ... I respect the fact that you can stand by your opinion, I am just saying that whether or not he is a good player isn't as black and white as people on this forum would like to believe.

Its not easy to argue against the majority, but I wouldn't do it unless I believed in it. I think Bayless will be a part of the raptors, he is a great back up PG, who should start on this team if their was no Jose Calderon.
    +1

Leave a comment:

• SuperRaptor
    replied
    RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    You really need to stop talking about stats, stats are good for a team. Unless you turn it over as much.

He's not going to help this team develop, and if we just put him on a starting role than hell he doesn't deserve, he's not going to make ANYONE better.

I stand by my opinion and arguments, and many of the top writers on this forum can attest to it.

Bayless is a shooting guard in a point guard's body, and has proved his reliability as a point guard. Wanna talk about stats? His stats have been better at the shooting guard.

Leave a comment:

• ReubenJRD
    replied
    Fk24 wrote: View Post
    Why does this fanbase fall in love with scrubs?

Anyways we're better off drafting a PG than giving Bayless 4-5 mill a season which he thinks he deserves.
    +1 Nice good first post buddy. :P welcome to the forum

Leave a comment:

• Fk24
    replied
    Why does this fanbase fall in love with scrubs?

Anyways we're better off drafting a PG than giving Bayless 4-5 mill a season which he thinks he deserves.

Leave a comment:

• ReubenJRD
    replied
    If we are not going to go by stats ... then what are we going by? Opinions. Record? Our record is bad no matter who is our point guard lol. Their is no doubt that he turns it over more than Jose does, I will not dispute that, but his assist numbers are not that bad relative to other PGs in this league, and he can get to the line by breaking defenses down which is a rare ability. Given time to mature (since he is only 23) he can become very good at drawing defenses and kicking out. He is an explosive scorer their is no doubt about that, he has been injured all year, and still can put the ball in the basket. Casey has often come out and said "He is our best on-the-ball defender", he is a very physical defender. He brings a lot to the table.

I'm not saying start him over Jose just yet, but what I am saying is that the constant bashing this guy gets from people on this forum is not justified. To be perfectly honest with you, if Jose was to get traded I would be completely happy with Bayless starting for me. Even before he got injured the 2nd time this year, the guy started putting up crazy numbers. There is no reason why we shouldnt be considering this guy as our "PG of the future".

As for those that say "Brian Colangelo didnt extend him so he is going to be gone" I disagree. Why extend the guy when it is unsure someone is going to match his qualifying offer, especially when he is already on contract for a relatively cheap price. This guy does figure into the raptors plans for the future, maybe that is my opinion but I am sure I'm not the only one who has considered this.
    You really need to stop talking about stats, stats are good for a team. Unless you turn it over as much.

He's not going to help this team develop, and if we just put him on a starting role than hell he doesn't deserve, he's not going to make ANYONE better.

I stand by my opinion and arguments, and many of the top writers on this forum can attest to it.

Bayless is a shooting guard in a point guard's body, and has proved his reliability as a point guard. Wanna talk about stats? His stats have been better at the shooting guard.

Leave a comment:

• ReubenJRD
    replied
    WJF wrote: View Post
    People need to get off "numbers" and really watch the players impact on the game and on his team. I wont bother to make a case for Bayless either good or bad, I just ask that for those people who want him, or think of him, as a starter, please watch the next game very closely and give a true scouting report based on his play not his box score. I ask this because those that throw the numbers out are ripped by those talking about his impact on the floor. If you can support your claims with actual play it may make your argument better.

For the record Bayless = career back-up....possible a very good back-up.
    +1

Leave a comment:

• Hugmenot
    replied
    JalenRose5 wrote: View Post
    In all fairness to Bayless, he is coming off an ankle injury and his defense is still better than Calderon's plus he is not scared to drive to the basket. I would keep him as a backup for now and definitely use him as trade bait and see what we can get back for him.
    The assumption is Bayless is a desirable commodity.

While I believe there is definitely a market for players like him, I think the market is more for a player being able to fill the role he plays than in the player itself. In others words, Bayless is useful but no more desirable than many players who fill the exact same role.

Leave a comment:

• Hugmenot
    replied
    jimmie wrote: View Post
    Aw, come on, man. This has been done to death.

You know who else is as good as Bayless?

Keyon Dooling (2m/year)
    Avery Bradley (1.5M)
    Alonzo Gee (.85M)
    Roddy Beaubois (2M)
    Corey Brewer (3M)
    Dorell Wright (3.5M)
    Will Bynum (3.4M)
    Courtney Lee (2.5M)
    Goran Dragic (2M)
    Darren Collison (1.5M)
    George Hill (2M)
    Eric Bledsoe (1.6M)
    Tony Allen (3M)
    Shaun Livingston (3.5M)
    Luke Ridnour (4M)
    Jordan Farmar (4M)
    Anthony Morrow (4M)
    Toney Douglas (1.5M)
    CJ Miles (3.7M)
    Jordan Crawford (1M)

and that's just -some- of the guys who are playing as well or better than Bayless NOW, not mentioning any of the other young PG/SGs out there on rookie contracts.

The point is, guys like Bayless are a dime a dozen, and you certainly don't have to pay more than $4M/year for one of them. Every year, there are 20-30 guys like Bayless, who have "potential" if only they got a shot. I'd rather Toronto didn't pay one of them that kind of money when there are easy alternatives out there.
    There was another thread in which posters agreed $4M/year is too much for Bayless but $2.5M a year is reasonable.

It's pretty much in line with the salary of the players you listed.

Leave a comment:

• Hugmenot
    replied
    NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    look at kyle lowry. He was a backup for aaron brooks and look at him now after they gave him a chance. We should try that with bayless
    Kyle Lowry was a very good backup, posting similar PER than he did his first year as a starter. My guess is Houston expected to be an average to above average starter-quality point guard when they inserted him in the starter role.

Kyle Lowry is so much better this year than he was in any other year that's it's hard to say whether this year is an anomaly for him, his new standard, or something in between. I would not be surprised if he regresses next year but still be an above starter-quality point guard.

Leave a comment:

• JalenRose5
    replied
    I am a huge fan of Bayless and had really high expectations for him this year. It is safe to say that he has thoroughly disappointed me. I have this wet dream that one day Bayless could develop into the mold of a Tony Parker or Derrick Rose. After watching every game this season, he has turned my wet dream into a nightmare.

In all fairness to Bayless, he is coming off an ankle injury and his defense is still better than Calderon's plus he is not scared to drive to the basket. I would keep him as a backup for now and definitely use him as trade bait and see what we can get back for him.

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    Bayless has been given enough of a chance (this year and last year) to conclude he can't run an offense. He doesn't get guys to their spots, and he doesn't feed hot hands, and his only option when running a PNR is a pull-up 22-footer just inside the arc.

His 18 points (per 36 mins) means nothing to me. I'm looking for stability, control, composure, and intelligence in a PG...everything which Bayless is not.

Leave a comment:

• NoPropsneeded
    replied
    look at kyle lowry. He was a backup for aaron brooks and look at him now after they gave him a chance. We should try that with bayless

Leave a comment:

• NoPropsneeded
    replied
    thing is i like bayless too. If he had the brain to go along with his athletic ability, speed and shooting he'd be a deadly PG. Maybe someday he'll get it, but i think its just frustration and inconsistency. When he calms it down he actually plays really well

Leave a comment:

• Miekenstien
    replied
    always liked ridnour but he reminds me of the wnba in how he is boring to watch but fundamentally sound

Leave a comment:

Working...
X