The Deal That Never Happened: VC & A.D. for Nash & Nowitzki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Deal That Never Happened: VC & A.D. for Nash & Nowitzki

I heard them talking about this on the Fan590 on my drive home from work this evening. John Shannon was saying this was just after the Philly series in '01, the summer we over spent on the likes of Boogie, JYD and The Dream.

Just wow. To be fair though, there's no way in hell Vince was leaving at that point.

http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog...nash-nowitzki/

But just imagine Nash playing for Canada's only team throughout his best years, along with Dirk putting up his crazy numbers as well. Imagine where basketball in Canada would be today.

NOT 1... NOT 2... NOT 3... NOT 4... haha

i gotta say i was not doing that deal in 01. but, i was no doubt doin that in 03 and probably 02.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Alot of deals never happen.

At the time, Vince looked like he could be Michael Jordan heir apparent. Grundwald would have been foolish at the time to do this trade especially after going to the second round of the playoffs for the first time in franchise history.

Another deal that never happened was Kobe for Vince Carter which was talked about alot.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
        Alot of deals never happen.

At the time, Vince looked like he could be Michael Jordan heir apparent. Grundwald would have been foolish at the time to do this trade especially after going to the second round of the playoffs for the first time in franchise history.

Another deal that never happened was Kobe for Vince Carter which was talked about alot.
        Kobe would have been long gone after his contract had he been traded here. Dirk & Nash had a better chance of staying...they were/are good friends as well alongwith of course Nash being Canadian. Of course they would have wanted a supporting cast.

Comment

Yeah, I agree, I would've gone bonkers myself if that ever did happen. Vince put the team on the map in the short term. Both Nash and Nowitzki would've brought us championships in the long run.
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

It would have been 2-3 years of depression followed by 8+ years of pure joy. Versus 2-3 years of pure joy and 8+ years of depression.
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

I think the part that's even worse was, if Grunwald did pull off the trade say in 2001-2002 and the team sucked (maybe due to chemistry issues) and still picked 4th in the draft of 2003. They definitely wouldnt have picked Bosh because they already had Dirk. Guess who they wouldve drafted instead.....

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                I think the part that's even worse was, if Grunwald did pull off the trade say in 2001-2002 and the team sucked (maybe due to chemistry issues) and still picked 4th in the draft of 2003. They definitely wouldnt have picked Bosh because they already had Dirk. Guess who they wouldve drafted instead.....
                I think we should lock this thread, for the safety of others. Your post could put someone over the (l)edge..
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                  Jarvis Hayes?

Comment

Marcus Banks?

Comment

This franchise would've been the Bulls of the new millenium.

Comment

At the time, I doubt any of us would've been willing to part with (arguably) the most exciting player in any sport, not just basketball. Hindsight is a bitch

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          At the time, I doubt any of us would've been willing to part with (arguably) the most exciting player in any sport, not just basketball. Hindsight is a bitch
                          hahaha i know. I wouldnt have done it either, but im just digging scenarios for the sake of argument.

Even Alvin Williams was playing his best bball so it wasnt like they needed a PG.

You know there's always a one time that GMs make a really bad blunder trade that makes everybody shake their heads? Well, if Grunwald did that, he wouldve been highly criticized but it wouldve been the greatest trade in Raptors history.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                            I think we should lock this thread, for the safety of others. Your post could put someone over the (l)edge..
                            And then the next year, with the 8th pick they draft iguodala instead of Araujo...

Nash, Iguodala, Wade, Mo Pete, Dirk

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                              And then the next year, with the 8th pick they draft iguodala instead of Araujo...

Nash, Iguodala, Wade, Mo Pete, Dirk

And then 2005 they draft Bynum instead of Charlie V

Nash, Wade, Iguodala, Dirk, Bynum

Somebody stop me.

Comment

Working...
                              X