Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March 11 - Milwaukee Bucks - Redemption Evening

ESPN Preview:

A visit to Toronto might provide the Milwaukee Bucks with an excellent opportunity to end their current road skid and win back-to-back games for the first time in a month.

The Bucks look to snap a four-game road losing streak with a sixth straight win over the Raptors on Sunday night.

In order to move into playoff position in the Eastern Conference, Milwaukee (16-24) must find a way to string together some wins. The Bucks could start by winning consecutive games for the first time since Feb. 8-10 after they held on for a 119-114 victory over New York on Friday night.

Ersan Ilyasova scored 26 points while Brandon Jennings and Mike Dunleavy each added 25. Milwaukee almost blew a 15-point fourth-quarter lead but came out ahead to move within two games of the Knicks, owners of the eighth and final playoff spot in the East.

"That's why this was a big game," said Jennings, who also had 10 assists.

Perhaps equally important, the Bucks showed they can hold a lead after failing to keep several slim advantages before losing 106-104 to Chicago on Derrick Rose's last-second shot Wednesday.

"It hurt us losing the one to Chicago," said big man Drew Gooden, who has averaged 19.3 points and 8.4 rebounds in the last seven games. "We still did a terrible job trying to close the game out (Friday). We can't allow that."

Milwaukee usually has had little trouble holding leads during a five-game winning streak over the Raptors, which dates to a 101-96 loss at Toronto on Jan. 22, 2010.

Though the Bucks are 6-15 away from home this season, they have made 50.2 percent of their shots and averaged 108.3 points while winning their last three trips north of the border. Former Raptors swingman Carlos Delfino had 25 points with nine rebounds and Gooden scored 20 with 14 boards in Milwaukee's 105-99 win at Toronto on Feb. 8.

Gooden is averaging 20.3 points and 12.0 rebounds in his last three games against the Raptors.

Back spasms kept Ilyasova out at Toronto last month, but the Raptors (13-27) need to be ready for his presence Sunday. Helping to fill in for injured center Andrew Bogut, the 6-foot-10 Ilyasova has totaled 58 points on 23-of-31 shooting in the last two contests overall.

Ending their struggles against Milwaukee could get even tougher for the Raptors, who will be without point guard Jose Calderon after he sprained his ankle during Saturday's 105-86 loss at Detroit.

"We'll have to come up with something," coach Dwane Casey said about replacing Calderon, whose X-rays were negative. "We have Jerryd (Bayless) and (Gary) Forbes at the point, and (Leandro Barbosa) can slide over. We'll figure it out."

On a positive note, Andrea Bargnani (22.4 points per game) returned to the Raptors' lineup Saturday after missing 20 games with a calf injury. Though Bargnani had just eight points in 19 minutes at Detroit, he's averaged 22.7 in his last three games versus Milwaukee.

Averaging 21.5 points in his last four games overall, Toronto's DeMar DeRozan has combined for 45 on 17-of-33 shooting in the last two home games against the Bucks.

I do love how, no matter who the opponent - good (Bulls), bad (Detroit), or ugly (Washington), the ESPN Preview always starts how the Raptors opponent has a great opportunity to win tonight because they are playing the Raptors. But whatever. After the game last night it is well deserved.

This is a big game for Milwaukee as the Knicks continue their freefall fanning the flames of the Bucks playoff hopes.

I would hate to be a Bucks fan.. that team is so mediocre it makes me sick. I've heard that the Bucks are even listening to offers for Bogut now. Although I don't blame them - that guy is often injured and it might make sense to move on from him.

Even though Calderon is out, I actually think the Raps will play well - not a win, but a close loss.

Comment

Hopefully Bayless looks good (and gets traded)
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
        Hopefully Bayless looks good (and gets traded)
        Hopefully he plays well so it makes Jose expendible.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Yayyyy, it's the Bayless show. How much would you like to play with him?

Comment

He has 5ast and 1TO
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Nice stats, but are you watching the game. Since the first quarter he hasn't been distributing the ball.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                Yayyyy, it's the Bayless show. How much would you like to play with him?
                He only starts scoring when the team is on a slump
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

The team is in a slump because he isn't running the offence well.

Comment

He is shooting well, put he is not playing the position well.

Comment

Great first half by everyone!

Comment

I would say forbes and bayless are equally as good.. bayless has clearly hit his ceiling and I do not see any progression in his game whatsoever, none.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                          Nice stats, but are you watching the game. Since the first quarter he hasn't been distributing the ball.
                          Exactly.

He thinks every ball screen is a green light to try a 21-ft pull up.

I'll give him credit, he did a better job in the 2nd half finding his teammates but, overall, fail. It is great for the lottery ball count though.

Comment

25 more games to go! A bunch of back to back's on the road against teams under .500. I think we will finish from 4-6 last. I really thought we would win the last two games.

Comment

Ilyasova: Nice player. I like. Plays hard every time I see him and he went off today (31 & 12 I believe). He is a free agent this year. But he is a PF but is an active sort. Wonder if he could play SF? He makes 2.5 and will be looking for a good bump I would say. Just musing...any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                              X