Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lin to the Raptors a good idea? Lin Raptors Plan B? (168)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    Source: Hoopshype.com

Very Linteresting. I had thought based on other articles that it was MLE no ifs, ands, or butts. Not the case it would seem.
    I hope Toronto is NOT one of those teams considering an insane offer like that for Lin! Personally, I don't think Lin is even worth the MLE. I think he's a decent backup who had a flash-in-the-pan stretch of games in a market despearate for something/someone to cheer for.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    As for Toronto, I hope not.

As for the Knicks - LOL - 8 years of tanking/rebuilding only to be blown in 6 months following Donnie Walsh's departure.... LOL. No wonder the New York media wants changes to the lottery process.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Are the Raptors one of the Lincredible Six?

Lin will be what’s called an Arenas-rights player. He has been in the NBA less than four years, meaning the Knicks team can make him a restricted free agent by issuing a Qualifying Offer. In Lin’s case because he is not on a typical first round pick rookie deal, his Offer amount is calculated using 125% of his previous salary, or the player’s minimum salary plus $200,000, whichever is greater. In Lin’s case his minimum salary as a third year player is $854,389 plus $200,000 making his Qualifier $1.054 million.

Now enter the wrinkle. Lin does not possess Bird Rights, but the Knicks can match anything up to the Mid-Level to keep him if they restrict him. Opposing teams are limited to the Mid-Level in their initial offer, but can increase the third and fourth year of a deal so that all years average to the amount of cap space they have available. — that’s the Arenas provision.

So the wrinkle gets a little sillier, especially if a team with cap space makes a big cap space type offer. According to Larry Coon’s CBAFAQ, Lin’s maximum offer can be constructed like this:

If a team that is $9 million under the cap… [and] wants to submit a four-year offer sheet, and wants to provide a large raise in the third season, they can offer a total of $36 million over four years. The first-year salary is limited to the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, or $5 million. The second-year salary will be $5.225 million (4.5% raise). This leaves $25.775 million to be distributed over the final two seasons of the contract, with a 4.1% raise from year three to year four. So the entire contract looks like this:

Season – Salary – Notes

1 – $5,000,000 – Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level amount for 2011-12

2 – $5,225,000 – 4.5% raise over season 1

3 – $12,628,613 – This is the amount that yields $25.775 million over the final two seasons with a 4.1% raise

4 – $13,146,387 – Raise is 4.1% of season 3 salary

Total – $36,000,000 – Average is $9 million, which equals the team’s cap room

For the team making this offer, this contract would count for $9.0 million (i.e., the average salary in the contract) of team salary in each of the four seasons if they sign the player. If the player’s prior team matches the offer and keeps the player, then the actual salary in each season counts as team salary. The player’s original team is allowed to use any available exception (e.g., the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level or the Early Bird) to match the offer.
    Sources close to the situation say there could be as many as six teams willing to make an offer to Jeremy Lin, some are willing to test New York’s resolve on Lin with a deal constructed like Larry’s outline above. It’s doubtful anyone is going to make an offer that averages $9 million, but would someone do a deal that averages $6 to $7 million? – that’s probable.

In order to match such an offer, not only would the Knicks have to commit their full Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception to Lin, they’d also take on contract values in years 3 and 4 that would likely be taxed by the NBA more punitive Luxury Tax that kicks in in 2013.

The Knicks owe Carmelo Anthony, Amar’e Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler $60.632 million alone in 2014-2015, when year three of Jeremy’s new contract would kick in.
    Source: Hoopshype.com

Very Linteresting. I had thought based on other articles that it was MLE no ifs, ands, or butts. Not the case it would seem.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Katman wrote: View Post
    I'm always facinated how people can get so polarized about medicore talent.

I'd rather save my FA money for someone really good, and if that person is not available this summer i'd wait to use it the next year when Jose's contract ends.
    The problem then is Toronto would have to use any cap space to possibly resign DD and JJ before any free agents can be looked at or the Raptors could make the pair UFA and risk losing assets for nothing.

This summer will be the last chance for the Raptors to do anything in free agency that does not rely on an exception.
    It will also be the last time to take advantage of the trade rules before having to make salaries match up (actually, second last - depending on moves in off season, they might have this luxury until trade deadline).

Leave a comment:

• NoPropsneeded
    replied
    Katman wrote: View Post

I'd rather save my FA money for someone really good, and if that person is not available this summer i'd wait to use it the next year when Jose's contract ends.
    Exactly

Leave a comment:

• Katman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NoPropsneeded
    replied
    Nilanka wrote: View Post
    The Knicks had Chandler even before Lin was inserted into the lineup, and they weren't winning many games then.
    Because they had no one to run the pick n roll. Lin and Davis are like the only 2 go can successfully run the PnR with chandler

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    true but the knicks have chandler
    The Knicks had Chandler even before Lin was inserted into the lineup, and they weren't winning many games then.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    The writer of the Grantland piece kinda forgot about JV on next year's team. I would make a machiavellian play for him just to raise the price for NY who I dont think will give him up...and strap them into financial territory that is going to be uncomfortable for them for the next few years. If they dont match we take the chance he will progress at a cost of about 7-8 per for 4 yrs. and MLSE will of course be raking in the sponsorships. If we keep Jose's contract then no more biggie f/a signings and hope we draft a good SF our other need.

My own view of Lin's success is mostly his quickness about getting the ball up the floor. He still is less precise about going to his left so teams guide him that direction and he does have a propensity to take the quick shot but he does have undeniable strengths and qualities. The question is to make a judgement about his ceiling and capacity to play the half court game (a weakness Imo) which Casey likes and is important/mandatory in the playoffs.

ps...Goran Dragic is still my first choice as f/a pg signing.
    Last edited by Bendit; Mon Apr 2, 2012, 06:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NoPropsneeded
    replied
    Matt52 wrote: View Post
    The Raptors were facing perennial powerhouses like Cleveland, New Jersey, Milwaukee, and Charlotte besides Memphis.

Objectivity. Please.

Fact checking. Please.
    true but the knicks have chandler

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    He arguably had a better set of guys around him and he had a longer time to display his skills. Plus during the 7 game win streak the knicks were facing teams below .500 except the Lakers. JB only started like 4 games and 2 of them i think were back to backs and i pretty sure it was against tougher teams like Memphis.
    The Raptors were facing perennial powerhouses like Cleveland, New Jersey, Milwaukee, and Charlotte besides Memphis.

Objectivity. Please.

Fact checking. Please.

Leave a comment:

• NoPropsneeded
    replied
    Matt52 wrote: View Post
    JB didn't take the Raptors on a 7 game win streak - the majority of which without 2 max salary players.

I'm not a fan of Lin but a significant portion of his hype was not only his individual play and race, but his team was also WINNING - something they weren't doing before he was inserted in to the starting lineup.
    He arguably had a better set of guys around him and he had a longer time to display his skills. Plus during the 7 game win streak the knicks were facing teams below .500 except the Lakers. JB only started like 4 games and 2 of them i think were back to backs and i pretty sure it was against tougher teams like Memphis.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Ya but he did it over the course of a 82 game season. Lin had a string of good games and then played like shitsanity and now he's injured. He is over hyped and mostly by the people of his own race that support him, which isn't a bad thing but it becomes a little too much. I'm glad the hype is gone and i don't think he'll be an all star maybe an average PG at best. Even JB had a string of good games and now he's injured too
    JB didn't take the Raptors on a 7 game win streak - the majority of which without 2 max salary players.

I'm not a fan of Lin but a significant portion of his hype was not only his individual play and race, but his team was also WINNING - something they weren't doing before he was inserted in to the starting lineup.

Leave a comment:

• NoPropsneeded
    replied
    Prime wrote: View Post
    There's a difference between high end and price ceilings. I don't think you fully understand that yet.

For example, Raymond Felton, probably the most overpaid PG in the league (up there with Jose), is making 7.5M this year which was obv. not the max money that could be offered on his current contract.
    So you'd rather take your chance with a proven "meh" commodity like Calderon?

FYI the last 3 NBA champions ran a lineup with a PG that averaged similar numbers.
    Ya but he did it over the course of a 82 game season. Lin had a string of good games and then played like shitsanity and now he's injured. He is over hyped and mostly by the people of his own race that support him, which isn't a bad thing but it becomes a little too much. I'm glad the hype is gone and i don't think he'll be an all star maybe an average PG at best. Even JB had a string of good games and now he's injured too

Leave a comment:

• Prime
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    Since it's the most anyone can offer?
    There's a difference between high end and price ceilings. I don't think you fully understand that yet.

For example, Raymond Felton, probably the most overpaid PG in the league (up there with Jose), is making 7.5M this year which was obv. not the max money that could be offered on his current contract.
    No, my main arguement is that based on past experience you're asking to get hosed by jumping all over Lin in this short amount of time. He has flags and he's not going to have enough time to dispel those flags in this small sample size.
    So you'd rather take your chance with a proven "meh" commodity like Calderon?
    RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    I don't want him. He's still a project in progression mode, but we have similar player to him in Jerryd Bayless who is much better IMO.
    Lin is overrated, people think he is going to be some NBA all-star, IMO, I don't see him being more than a starter putting up average numbers like a 12-8. Especially with the players he's with, it's bound to happen.
    FYI the last 3 NBA champions ran a lineup with a PG that averaged similar numbers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X