Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Raptors and Greg Oden

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Raptors and Greg Oden

    The Blazers waived Oden Thursday because they needed to create roster room to accommodate all the Portland players acquired earlier in the day in separate trades with New Jersey and Houston.

    In his five pro seasons since the Blazers selected him No. 1 overall ahead of Kevin Durant in the 2007 NBA draft, Oden has appeared in only 82 games and endured five knee surgeries.

    ESPN.com reported in December that Oden's salary for this season was negotiated down from nearly $9 million to $1.5 million after yet another health setback. The Blazers were then forced to announce last month that Oden would need another microfracture procedure on his left knee and kept him on the roster until now, sources said, partly because they thought they might need to plug Oden's contract into a deal before Thursday's 3 p.m. trade deadline.
    It remains to be seen whether Oden, because of his modest salary, is claimed on waivers even though he isn't expected to try to resume his career until well into the 2012-13 season.

    When asked about Oden's future plans and whether he will be pressing to find a new team during free agency starting in July, agent Bill Duffy and Mike Conley Sr. said in a statement Thursday: "We will be in no rush. The first priority is Greg's health ... with no timeline."
    Source: ESPN.com

    The Raptors have roster space. If they cut Alabi, Oden's net impact on the cap is around half of the $1.5M number. So the question is asked, is Oden worth a token roster spot and a net amount of around $700K to reserve the rights to match any offer for him when he's ready to resume his career? Even if he can only play half a season, each season for the rest of his career, which would be a great improvement, the impact he could have coming off the bench for a team for those games could be significant. On the flip side he could just eventually give up and retire. I think his worst case is Yao Ming's fate, his best case is Marcus Camby type impact. Is he worth a small gamble?

  • #2
    [QUOTE=Apollo;119322]Source: ESPN.com

    Is he worth a small gamble?
    Sure he is worth a small gamble but I don't see the Raptors snatching him up.

    Comment


    • #3
      For the small (relatively speaking) amount it would take this could be a nice little risk to take from a Raptors viewpoint.

      Minimal cost, with possible high upside seems like a good recipe. Worst case scenario he remains continually injured and simply is the 15th man that never sees the court anyway.

      With our open roster spots I would like this risk.
      http://twitter.com/m_shantz

      Comment


      • #4
        Shantz wrote: View Post
        For the small (relatively speaking) amount it would take this could be a nice little risk to take from a Raptors viewpoint.

        Minimal cost, with possible high upside seems like a good recipe. Worst case scenario he remains continually injured and simply is the 15th man that never sees the court anyway.

        With our open roster spots I would like this risk.
        +1 Im all for it, he will be back next season after these surgeries. A change in scenery may be the best for him, think about his initial potential and cheapness, if this is any option, take it and run.

        Comment


        • #5
          why not

          Solo= jerome moiso or Pape Sow anyways LOL

          Comment


          • #6
            His career is over!

            Comment


            • #7
              I would do it. Think about it, Jonas can play his more natural position at PF and Bagnani can play his natural position at SF.

              Sarcasm aside, if we had the unlikelihood of signing him, we potentially could be a very defensive-minded team the next time he's able to play.
              #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

              Comment


              • #8
                To steal a phrase from Dwight Howard, I'd roll the dice. However in doing so it would be with the expectation that it is much more than likely he never returns to form and the realization Solo is useless.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yeah, I doubt the Greg Oden ever turns into what he could have been. Realistically I don't see him signing with Toronto either with JV coming in. Really no one is going to offer him a big contract, and he'll go to either a desirable team like Miami (hell, if they rolled the dice on Curry, they'll definitely try out Oden), or a team with a big hole at C, that may also be a mediocre or bad team so he can get lots of playing time and not have too much pressure. Neither description really fits us next year. Lets say we keep Gray and bring over JV, I think that's a decent tandem in the middle since we want minutes for JV. Don't want Casey to feel like he has to play Oden to give him a chance, next year we already have a C to develop.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    Yeah, I doubt the Greg Oden ever turns into what he could have been. Realistically I don't see him signing with Toronto either with JV coming in. Really no one is going to offer him a big contract, and he'll go to either a desirable team like Miami (hell, if they rolled the dice on Curry, they'll definitely try out Oden), or a team with a big hole at C, that may also be a mediocre or bad team so he can get lots of playing time and not have too much pressure. Neither description really fits us next year. Lets say we keep Gray and bring over JV, I think that's a decent tandem in the middle since we want minutes for JV. Don't want Casey to feel like he has to play Oden to give him a chance, next year we already have a C to develop.
                    Good points. I was looking at it more as replacing Oden with Alabi. The only thing keeping Oden from playing in the NBA is his health. The only thing keeping Alabi from playing in the NBA is his lack of skill.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      grindhouse wrote: View Post
                      His career is over!
                      Done!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        To steal a phrase from Dwight Howard, I'd roll the dice. However in doing so it would be with the expectation that it is much more than likely he never returns to form and the realization Solo is useless.
                        At a net impact of $700K I think fans will be far more inclined to scale back expectations of Oden. As for Alabi, where is he? All summer I kept hearing he was going to be the next best thing since slice bread. Cutting ties shouldn't be a big deal to anyone... I would hope.

                        white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        Yeah, I doubt the Greg Oden ever turns into what he could have been. Realistically I don't see him signing with Toronto either with JV coming in. Really no one is going to offer him a big contract, and he'll go to either a desirable team like Miami (hell, if they rolled the dice on Curry, they'll definitely try out Oden), or a team with a big hole at C, that may also be a mediocre or bad team so he can get lots of playing time and not have too much pressure. Neither description really fits us next year. Lets say we keep Gray and bring over JV, I think that's a decent tandem in the middle since we want minutes for JV. Don't want Casey to feel like he has to play Oden to give him a chance, next year we already have a C to develop.
                        After what he's gone through he must be the most humble man on earth. He'll sign for whoever will take him. That's my view. Like Matt said, his issues haven't been due to ability. No matter the team, if he stays healthy he would eventually fight his way into a starting lineup. I don't think his priority is to start for a team, I think his priority is to make it through a full season without major surgery.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Apollo wrote: View Post
                          After what he's gone through he must be the most humble man on earth. He'll sign for whoever will take him. That's my view. Like Matt said, his issues haven't been due to ability. No matter the team, if he stays healthy he would eventually fight his way into a starting lineup. I don't think his priority is to start for a team, I think his priority is to make it through a full season without major surgery.
                          Agreed. I don't think Oden is in any position to be making demands about his role, or playing time. There won't be 30 teams knocking down for his services.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Nononononononononono
                            @sweatpantsjer

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              If Oden wasn't 38 years old, I'd take him...
                              Peace. Positivity. Prosperity.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X