It sounds like Barbosa wanted to be a Raptor long term

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It sounds like Barbosa wanted to be a Raptor long term

"(Leandro) was drafted by Brian Colangelo and they are very close since 2003," Arturo said. "He would like to be with the Raptors because he had confidence that the team could have a reaction and then go to playoffs." Twitter
    Source: Hoopshype.com

If other teams think/know that Barbosa is likely to return to Toronto in the offseason, it makes sense why they were unwilling to give up anything other than a late 2nd round pick for him, especially without being able to dump any salary on us.

Comment

Colangelo basically wished Barbosa well, in hopes that he has a strong run to end this season, ensuring a healthy contract results. If Colangelo has plans of bringing back Barbosa, a strong final 20 games will only raise Barbosa's price tag for Colangelo.

Comment

Right and he also said he wanted to make way for Forbes' and Bayless' official "auditions" for next year. If Bayless doesn't make a large impact he's done. Forbes doesn't have as much pressure to make the roster because he doesn't have a $4M qualifying offer but Forbes can't hope to make the impact of Barbosa.

Comment

I really like Forbes' game. Really steady player, he deserves time for sure. Solid player on both ends of the floor, he's got good, quick defensive hands too. Bayless I hope can continue these streak of good games, and I hope he can make better decisions down the stretch of games.

I really do hope Barbosa comes back for next season.
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

What kind of "reaction" was Arturo talking about? Like a chemical reaction? Explosionzz!
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

Must be a typo. He might have meant "rebuild". Hard to say.

Comment

holla @ u later barbosa, all the best

(please don't resign him, BC)
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I can't say I'd be against the idea of bringing Barbosa back, assuming the rest of the roster's needs are addressed first. I don't think "bench scoring" is as high on the priority list as other needs, going into this summer.

Comment

If Valanciunas comes over next season and we draft a good SF(MKG,Barnes) I'm all for bringing him back but like Nilanka said I'd wanna adress our other needs first.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      I can't say I'd be against the idea of bringing Barbosa back, assuming the rest of the roster's needs are addressed first. I don't think "bench scoring" is as high on the priority list as other needs, going into this summer.
                      Assuming JV and a SF in the draft, I'd rather they use their financial flexibility to somehow find a starting SG before looking for a backup SG cause they already have 2 of those in Derozan and Bayless. Not sure Raps need a third one.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                        Assuming JV and a SF in the draft, I'd rather they use their financial flexibility to somehow find a starting SG before looking for a backup SG cause they already have 2 of those in Derozan and Bayless. Not sure Raps need a third one.
                        Let's pray Bayless isn't part of the 2012-13 Raptors...

Comment

hahaha if we sign him back in the summer we might as well have just hoodwinked a 2nd round pick and a 7.3mil TPE out of Indiana! BC literally would've created something out of nothing. Higgs Boson Colangelo much?
                          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            Perhaps not, but it's our bench scoring that has kept us in quite a few games this year, and Barbosa is the main reason that's happened. Our starters have probably had the worst first quarters I've ever seen.

Since the talent level of our starting five isn't as high as other teams, bench scoring is a definite need. The best teams in this league are about depth.
                            Don't hate me because I'm an optimist.

Comment

ScottBaird wrote: View Post
                              Perhaps not, but it's our bench scoring that has kept us in quite a few games this year, and Barbosa is the main reason that's happened. Our starters have probably had the worst first quarters I've ever seen.

Since the talent level of our starting five isn't as high as other teams, bench scoring is a definite need. The best teams in this league are about depth.
                              I think you would want to address the talent of the starting five before the talent of the bench. If Barbosa plays well to finish off the season there is no doubt he would want more money (especially in the Raptors situation where he proved his worth in the system already). Why spend money where it is not needed as of now? There are some clear problems like the PG position in the future, the SF position in the future, the log jam at PF (too much depth). To be honest, I think we have a Barbosa like spark already in Bayless. If we draft well and grab a PG (while not likely) there would be no point in having Bosa and Bayless with other talent already. Now whether you want Bayless is another discussion.

Comment

Working...
                              X