Waiting until 2013?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting until 2013?

It seems all the good FA's this year are already being picked up by their respective teams leaving a poo poo platter of guys that would probably make good depth, but no real impact starters worth throwing a big contract at.

But what about 2013?

Calderon AND Amir will be coming off the books then, so im assuming we'll have some serious coin to play with. Just take a look at some of the players on the market then:

James Harden
    Josh Smith
    Serje Ibaka
    Monta Ellis
    Kevin Martin
    Tyreke Evans
    Jeff Teague
    Roddy Buckets
    Ty Lawson
    Stephen Curry
    Darren Collison

Just to name a few of the better ones. Even a guy like CJ Watson could be a solid value signing as he's a solid player who plays defense and can make open shots. If we do draft a guy like Beal or sign Harden he could make a lot of sense.

Thoughts?
    @sweatpantsjer

realistically, i don't expect the team to contend next year, so perhaps get a player here or there for depth and wait till 2013 to come out swinging?
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Someone (forgot who, sorry) pointed out the 2013 free agency class to me - and It does seem to be pretty deep. Lots of RFA's though so the chances of Toronto making a serious bid would be difficult.

It is much better than the 2012 free agency class though. Kind of reminds me of Bryan having cap space in 2009 instead of 2010. Instead of waiting for a home run free agent in 2010 he spent his money on Turk in 2009. 2012 may end up like that - hopefully Bryan decides to save his cap money for 2013 instead... although with his contract up for renewal at the time, it may not be likely unfortunately. Keeping Jose for another year could mean he has an eye on the 2013 free agent class, which would be exciting.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
        It seems all the good FA's this year are already being picked up by their respective teams leaving a poo poo platter of guys that would probably make good depth, but no real impact starters worth throwing a big contract at.

But what about 2013?

Calderon AND Amir will be coming off the books then, so im assuming we'll have some serious coin to play with. Just take a look at some of the players on the market then:

James Harden
        Josh Smith
        Serje Ibaka
        Monta Ellis
        Kevin Martin
        Tyreke Evans
        Jeff Teague
        Roddy Buckets
        Ty Lawson
        Stephen Curry
        Darren Collison

Just to name a few of the better ones. Even a guy like CJ Watson could be a solid value signing as he's a solid player who plays defense and can make open shots. If we do draft a guy like Beal or sign Harden he could make a lot of sense.

Thoughts?
        With the exception of Kevin Martin, Monta Ellis, and Josh Smith, the rest of those guys are on rookie deals. The majority will get an extension in the fall. The others will hit restricted free agency where they will likely have any offer matched or play out their qualifying offer.

I don't mean to be a downer but that is just the most likely outcome in my opinion.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          With the exception of Kevin Martin, Monta Ellis, and Josh Smith, the rest of those guys are on rookie deals. The majority will get an extension in the fall. The others will hit restricted free agency where they will likely have any offer matched or play out their qualifying offer.

I don't mean to be a downer but that is just the most likely outcome in my opinion.
          Not only that, but Amir actually has 3 more years on his contract, not just 1 more like Calderon.

Toronto salaries, according to HoopsHype:
          http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm

Comment

Well then.

Take 'em away, toys.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Why not name Dwight Howard in that?? haha

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post

Thoughts?
                CJ Watson plays defense?

Comment

lol no he doesn't he's worse than jose

Comment

i cant hold my load that long. fuck i barely make it every 3 or so days.
                    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Hey there! You forgot one of my faves...Goran Drajic. UFA and can do it as a PG.

Comment

I am ashamed at you not putting the best FA PG available going forward on that list. Dragic.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Someone (forgot who, sorry) pointed out the 2013 free agency class to me - and It does seem to be pretty deep. Lots of RFA's though so the chances of Toronto making a serious bid would be difficult.

It is much better than the 2012 free agency class though. Kind of reminds me of Bryan having cap space in 2009 instead of 2010. Instead of waiting for a home run free agent in 2010 he spent his money on Turk in 2009. 2012 may end up like that - hopefully Bryan decides to save his cap money for 2013 instead... although with his contract up for renewal at the time, it may not be likely unfortunately. Keeping Jose for another year could mean he has an eye on the 2013 free agent class, which would be exciting.
                          Turk was the home run signing of 2009. Unfortunately we know better in hindsight.

Comment

in 2009 colangelo thought the team was really close to going for it and turk was supposed to be the one to bring it over the top. didnt work.

i would like him to spend his money on restricted free agents if possible. push the price of batum upwards of 10 million and mayo up to 8 million and see what happens.

grab nash this year if possible and try to move calderon on draft day. if nash cant teach bayless something then no one can. calderon is a set play pg and nash is the penetrate and kick point guard i want bayless to be.

Comment

Yeah but in 2013, we'll have our own rookies to resign/extend, impacting our cap space, right ?

Comment

Working...
                              X