April 6 - Cleveland Cavaliers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April 6 - Cleveland Cavaliers

A tale of two teams going in different directions. Raps going for 5th win in 6 games, Cavs looking to avoid a 10th straight loss.

ESPN Preview:

The Toronto Raptors have proven fairly formidable of late thanks to a tremendous defensive display.

That shouldn't come as much of a surprise to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

The host Raptors try for a four-game season sweep and a sixth win in seven meetings with the short-handed Cavaliers, who look to avoid a 10th consecutive loss Friday night.

After knocking off Washington and Charlotte -- the two worst teams in the league, Toronto (20-35) improved to 3-0 this month with Wednesday's 99-78 rout at Philadelphia. The Raptors outscored the 76ers 44-22 in the second half and limited them to seven points in the final 12 minutes -- the second-fewest points allowed in the fourth quarter in team history.

"Everybody knows their role," said DeMar DeRozan, who had 18 points. "Nobody's trying to do more than what they normally do ... once we get that going it's tough for us to be beat."

Much of Toronto's recent success can be attributed to its strong play on defense. The Raptors, allowing 95.1 points per game on the season, have held opponents to just 85.7 during their run. They haven't won four in a row since Nov. 17-24, 2010.

"Really we're outside (of the playoff picture) looking in, nothing to really play for," said coach Dwane Casey, whose team is in 11th place in the Eastern Conference.

"Andrea (Bargnani) and DeMar and all the other guys playing for pride -- it's not like we're really pressing the hammer on them. I told them all these games are for pride, that way you don't go home this summer and regret anything you did this season."

The Raptors surely like their chances of keeping things going with the Cavaliers (17-35) coming to town. Toronto has held Cleveland to an average of 87.0 points on 36.4 percent shooting in its three victories this season -- including a 92-77 home win Jan. 4.

The Raptors more recently overcame 14 points, seven rebounds and seven assists from Kyrie Irving during a 96-88 road victory March 13. Irving, though, remains out of action after re-injuring his sprained right shoulder during Tuesday's 125-90 loss to San Antonio.

The Cavaliers saw their woes continue in the opener of a three-game trek the following night, falling 107-98 to Milwaukee. In the midst of its longest losing streak since dropping an NBA-record 26 straight last season, Cleveland trailed by 19 in the second quarter but clawed its way back to make things interesting down the stretch.

Former Raptor Anthony Parker matched a career high with 27 points while Donald Sloan, who started in place of Irving, added 12 and eight assists.

"We have two more games on this road trip. If we play the same way, there's no reason why we won't have the opportunity to win both, in Toronto and New Jersey," coach Byron Scott said. "We just have to make sure it continues to go this way (forward), instead of going back. Don't back slide. Build on this type of effort."

The Cavaliers allowed the Bucks to shoot 57.1 percent from the floor and are surrendering 104.2 points per game on 49.1 percent shooting during their slide.

Cleveland could have a hard time trying to contain Bargnani, who's averaged 25.0 points on 50.6 percent shooting over his last five games. He's posted 25.8 points per game on 62.3 percent shooting in his four most recent home matchups in the series.
    Remember a little over a month ago when Cleveland was sniffing at the playoffs? Yeah, so much for that. With Irving out, Varejao out, and Sessions traded, it looks like somebody threw a massive anchor in their sinking ship.

In the worst of both worlds for Raptors fans, they are out of the playoffs in league standings and playing themselves out of contention in the lottery standings as well.

LOTTERY STANDINGS
    1. Charlotte 7-45
    2. Washington 12-43
    3. New Orleans 14-40
    4. Cleveland 17-35
    5. New Jersey 19-37
    6. Sacramento 19-36
    7. Toronto 20-35
    8. Detroit 21-33
    9. Golden State 21-32

is grown man calderon playing tonight?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      In the worst of both worlds for Tanking fans, they are out of the playoffs in league standings and playing themselves out of contention in the lottery standings as well.
      Fixed.

I take exception to winning is a bad thing. Losing breeds losers and whoever we end up picking this year will not be The Savior, even if it's Davis.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        is grown man calderon playing tonight?
        Nope.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
          Fixed.

I take exception to winning is a bad thing. Losing breeds losers and whoever we end up picking this year will not be The Savior, even if it's Davis.
          If the team is building for 2016 and everyone in the current lineup is expendable I don't see why you need to win. Hornets and Bobcats are doing the very thing.

Comment

draftedraptor wrote: View Post
            If the team is building for 2016 and everyone in the current lineup is expendable I don't see why you need to win. Hornets and Bobcats are doing the very thing.
            You have the dates wrong. Colangelo and Casey are under contract to 2013 so many members of the current Raptor roster will be expected to contribute in a big way next season.

Comment

Im so torn between the tank and a huge winning streak...

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                You have the dates wrong. Colangelo and Casey are under contract to 2013 so many members of the current Raptor roster will be expected to contribute in a big way next season.

I was making the case for teams like Bobcats.

The raptors despite lack of talent have to produce in the next two years.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                  Fixed.

Before I reply, let me be clear I think the best thing the Raptor players and coaching staff can do is go hard every night in an attempt to get the W and let the chips fall where they may come the draft lottery.... with that said:

Kevin Durant was hardly a saviour in his first 2 years in the league with 20 and 23 wins. Do you think OKC fans view him as a saviour now? I bet they do. The best way to get young talent is through the draft and losing is usually what gets one a high draft pick. In my opinion this can be argued either way - and until both parties are blue in the face.

I agree Davis won't be the saviour of a franchise next season but in 3 seasons time the answer should and probably will be completely different.

Comment

IROR wrote: View Post
                    It is a pickle. I feel the same.

Comment

IROR wrote: View Post
                      I'm not. How could this winning streak possibly help us in any way? I don't believe in this "winning culture" bullsh*t, teams win when they have good players. And how does a team get good players again? Oh yeah

Comment

Looks like Anderson will get the start over JJ again. Thoughts?

Comment

Even with talent the knicks have proven that it takes more than that to win. I think it's great, this young team needs to learn how to win the right way by playing D! They can't hit the ground running next year by thinking they were the worse team in the league. Winning theses game makes them think that they're right there while healthy. Confendance is the most important in basketball. It's all between the ears
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Toronto owns Cleveland this year, and so I see another victory.. but what I'd like to see even more than a Win is to prevent one of their players from having a career night against us.

We had Mullens from Charlotte. Gerald Green from NJ.. and I believe Seraphin from Washington had a big night too. I don't know if Luke Walton is injured or not, but if he gets minutes and scores more than 10 points against us - I'll be pissed off no matter if we win or not.

Comment

Bayless is such a Primadona
                              Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Working...
                              X