ESPN Insider Mock Draft 2.0 - Raptors select Bradley Beal at #5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Insider Mock Draft 2.0 - Raptors select Bradley Beal at #5

Analysis: The Raptors already have DeMar Derozan in the backcourt, but I doubt they'd pass on the chance to land Beal. The Florida 2-guard has the ability to play point guard and would give Toronto a shooter with deep range -- an ability that DeRozan lacks.
    The Raptors have an 8.8 percent chance of winning the lottery.

I am sooooo intrigued by the idea of Beal playing point.

Comment

Daddy likes
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Isn't there a need for the Raps to commit many turnovers in the remaining games to ensure the 5th spot? Casey doesn't want to play that card.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          I am sooooo intrigued by the idea of Beal playing point.

Same here, and if that doesn't work out, we'll still have a 2-Guard that will be a whole lot better than DD, therefore making him expendable. After Davis and MKG, Beal is my 3rd choice, really like the kid's game.

Comment

Wow, that Beal must have shot up in height the last few weeks as they have him listed at 6'5. lol

Who do they have in their mock from #1-10?

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
              Wow, that Beal must have shot up in height the last few weeks as they have him listed at 6'5. lol

He measured in at 6'4.5" in shoes at the Nike Hoops Summit last year as a 17 year old.

I don't think it is unheard of to have him grow another inch between his 17th and in to his 18th year. I can't remember where I read it but he did say he grew another inch this year (that was around February or March, I believe).

6'5" or 6'5.5" in sneakers does not seem out of whack.

He also has a 6'8" wingspan.

Eric Gordon, who I think is a fair comparison as a player, measured in at 6'3.5" IN SHOES (6'2" without) with a 6'9" wingspan (DraftExpress.com measurements).

Comment

I don't have insider access, but I believe you can just play the lottery mock draft game over at ESPN and get the list that way (using the current standings):

http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2012/mockdraft

The mock (1-10) looks like:

1) Davis - Charlotte
                2) MKG - Washington
                3) Robinson - NO
                4) Drummond - Sacramento
                5) Beal - Toronto
                6) Barnes - Cleveland
                7) Lillard - Portland
                8) Sullinger - Detroit
                9) Marshall - Utah
                10) Zeller - NO

Comment

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Bradley-Beal-5759/

Beal is just over 6ft3in... in shoes! MAYBE this makes sense if you move Demar to the the 3 but then your wings are tiny. I would rather have Barnes. You get a long 3 who can shoot from deep...but why all the Demar hate? Is it since Bargs has started playing well our losing is Demar's fault? I like Demar. The list of players who have a strong mid-range game is small. He scores in a range less and less players are capable of playing in. Rip Hamilton has made a living because of his mid-range game. Seriously.

Also, if we must draft a point guard -- draft a point guard. I would rather draft a polished senior in the second round, than a pseudo 2 guard in the first and then move him to the 1. For instance, Scoop Jardine has already proven he can lead a team, he would be a non-guaranteed contract, and he's only half an inch shorter than Beal.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    He measured in at 6'4.5" in shoes at the Nike Hoops Summit last year as a 17 year old.

I don't think it is unheard of to have him grow another inch between his 17th and in to his 18th year. I can't remember where I read it but he did say he grew another inch this year (that was around February or March, I believe).

6'5" or 6'5.5" in sneakers does not seem out of whack.

He also has a 6'8" wingspan.

Eric Gordon, who I think is a fair comparison as a player, measured in at 6'3.5" IN SHOES (6'2" without) with a 6'9" wingspan (DraftExpress.com measurements).
                    I stand corrected.

I don't know if I would make the comparison to Eric Gordon however. I know they are both undersized 2's but Gordon looked like he had more of a well rounded game coming out of Indiana (although I highly respect Beal's rebounding skills). If he does turn out to be the same type of player or he is projected that way he will shoot up the draft boards.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                      http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Bradley-Beal-5759/

Beal is just over 6ft3in... in shoes! MAYBE this makes sense if you move Demar to the the 3 but then your wings are tiny. I would rather have Barnes. You get a long 3 who can shoot from deep...but why all the Demar hate? Is it since Bargs has started playing well our losing is Demar's fault? I like Demar. The list of players who have a strong mid-range game is small. He scores in a range less and less players are capable of playing in. Rip Hamilton has made a living because of his mid-range game. Seriously.

Also, if we must draft a point guard -- draft a point guard. I would rather draft a polished senior in the second round, than a pseudo 2 guard in the first and then move him to the 1. For instance, Scoop Jardine has already proven he can lead a team, he would be a non-guaranteed contract, and he's only half an inch shorter than Beal.
                      How about a unpolished young kid with potential in the 2nd round like Trey Burke? Thats who I would target in the 2nd round if he is available.

Comment

I stand corrected.

I don't know if I would make the comparison to Eric Gordon however. I know they are both undersized 2's but Gordon looked like he had more of a well rounded game coming out of Indiana (although I highly respect Beal's rebounding skills). If he does turn out to be the same type of player or he is projected that way he will shoot up the draft boards.
                        I wouldn't say you stand corrected - yet. The measurements at the combine are always interesting because agents and players certainly inflate their numbers in the build up.

I've heard other analysts refer to Gordon in talking about Beal.

I think a big issue Beal had playing in Florida was the 3 guard starting line up they rolled with. Walker and Boynton were hardly pass first and they were the senior and junior with Beal being the rook.

Comment

The Gordon comparisons are almost very close. However, there are some distinct differences in their games. Gordon is more of a power athlete, still extremely silky(which is why he is so dangerous) and his handle seems shakier than Beals. Beal seems a little more comfortable handling the ball, although Beal doesn't seem quite as athletic(or doesn't rely on his athleticism) as much as Gordon. I feel it all plays out if Beal's handle is pretty good, because his time with the ball was pretty limited with that Florida line up with Boyton and Walker, but his stats say he is also fine playing as SG in catch and shoot situations given to him by his fellow teammates.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            I wouldn't say you stand corrected - yet. The measurements at the combine are always interesting because agents and players certainly inflate their numbers in the build up.

I've heard other analysts refer to Gordon in talking about Beal.

I think a big issue Beal had playing in Florida was the 3 guard starting line up they rolled with. Walker and Boynton were hardly pass first and they were the senior and junior with Beal being the rook.
                            Is Beal as good of an athlete as Eric Gordon?

Comment

How about a unpolished young kid with potential in the 2nd round like Trey Burke? Thats who I would target in the 2nd round if he is available.
                              Aye.

We could end up drafting a rajon rondo with one of those second rounders.

Comment

Working...
                              X