No announcement yet.

How would you hit the ground running?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's always the restricted free agents that confuse me the most in terms of creative ways to acquire them

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      Ok, using the same player for both examples was a mistake on my part, so lets say Luol Deng(just for argument's sake). My point is just at the end, like I said. The worst case to me, is spending a lot on one guy after July 1st. The ideal is filling up that space with one or two good-great players, and using exceptions. All I think of with the space we'd have after July 1st is it sets up nicely for BC to make another stupid Hedo type offer.
      So now you are talking trade and option #2. There is a distinction between #1 and #2. I thought you originally said it was not an either or.

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      And as CalgaryRapsFan says, and the reason I quoted you, is do you know what the rules are on sign and trades of upcoming restricted FAs? Can we discuss Batum with Portland to the extent of discussing figures, before July 1st? If we can, then we can acquire pretty much anybody except unrestricted FAs before July 1st, can we not?
      Teams could discuss a possibility but specific contract offers are not permitted to be made to players until July 1st. Making specific offers could create significant repercussions like Joe Smith in Minnesota. Also, POR and TOR can talk all they want but what if: a) Cleveland comes along and offers $3M more per year than Toronto is offering, and b) what if Batum doesn't want to play in Toronto. *Batum can be replaced with any restricted free agent, of course*

Comment

when i look into my crystal ball i see gray and uzoh being retained, a couple solid FA pickups to bolster the bench, a surprising trade involving bargs or demar + parts (players? second rounders? $$$?) that lands us a stud and a draft pick that contributes right away. i don't see bayless anywhere in the picture... its getting hazy now...

that's all i got, folks.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

No reason to think in terms of only next season. Taking action before July 1st provides greater flexibility and the ability to collect talent without over paying. Having talent allows you to make deals in the future. Which provides you with flexibility. You can trade for picks, cap space, etc.

Option 2 give BC the greatest capability for this year and the future.

Comment

I want O.J. Mayo! Pursue, pursue, pursue!

Comment

I'm definitely with Matt on this one hoping they take on the salary prior to the 1st of July. Being slightly over the cap with the exceptions is better flexibility IMO then 10 million in cap space and a depleted roster with numerous holes to fill.

I'd be surprised if BC doesn't make a draft day deal this year of some sort.

Comment

Honestly, I'd save the Cap Space for the Free Agent market ... there are players there, even if we need to wait on an RFA.

Nic Batum is valued by Portland, but how much will they pay to match? Are they anywhere near contending with big contracts tied up in Aldrigde, Batum and Wes Matthews? It's not bad, but that core won't compete in the West if it doesn't leave room for another star piece. Maybe we can offer enough to make them blink.

O.J. Mayo is highly valued by the Grizz, but with huge deals bringing them near the cap for the next 4 years in only 4 bodies (Gay, Gasol, Randolph, Conley) ... can they even be competitive in offers for Mayo? A reasonable market value offer would already be too much for them to match.

Steve Nash. Unlikely? Maybe ... But also impossible NOT to at least take a close look for many reasons, on the court AND off.

Other reasons to wait until free agency?
                -Goran Dragic
                -Matt Barnes
                -Louis Williams
                -Jeff Green?
                -Jameer Nelson
                -Aaron Brooks
                -George Hill
                -Eric Gordon
                -Landry Fields
                -Grant Hill

These all could help add to us hitting the ground running!

If we stay put at #8, take a guard: Lillard, Marshall, or Rivers.
                If we move into the top 3: Davis (1st), MKG, Beal (2nd, 3rd).
                The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Tesla wrote: View Post
                  I want O.J. Mayo! Pursue, pursue, pursue!
                  Would love to see him in a Raptor uniform but not sure how it happens.

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
                    Would love to see him in a Raptor uniform but not sure how it happens.
                    How O.J. Mayo could come to the Raptors?

We take some amount of our large cap space, to offer him ... Memphis, carrying several HUGE contracts, doesn't match the offer to their RFA.

Done.
                    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                      How O.J. Mayo could come to the Raptors?

We take some amount of our large cap space, to offer him ... Memphis, carrying several HUGE contracts, doesn't match the offer to their RFA.

Done.
                      Can't say the same for Batum though. Sources say Portland will match everything; and offer him 10 million plus.

I like Batum and all... but 10 million? No thanks, that's a bit too much. Rajon Rondo makes only around 10 mil and hes a top 5 PG in the league. I'm starting to think that people are overrating Batum.

Comment

Honestly, I'd save the Cap Space for the Free Agent market ... there are players there, even if we need to wait on an RFA.

Nic Batum is valued by Portland, but how much will they pay to match? Are they anywhere near contending with big contracts tied up in Aldrigde, Batum and Wes Matthews? It's not bad, but that core won't compete in the West if it doesn't leave room for another star piece. Maybe we can offer enough to make them blink.

O.J. Mayo is highly valued by the Grizz, but with huge deals bringing them near the cap for the next 4 years in only 4 bodies (Gay, Gasol, Randolph, Conley) ... can they even be competitive in offers for Mayo? A reasonable market value offer would already be too much for them to match.

Steve Nash. Unlikely? Maybe ... But also impossible NOT to at least take a close look for many reasons, on the court AND off.

Other reasons to wait until free agency?
                        -Goran Dragic
                        -Matt Barnes
                        -Louis Williams
                        -Jeff Green?
                        -Jameer Nelson
                        -Aaron Brooks
                        -George Hill
                        -Eric Gordon
                        -Landry Fields
                        -Grant Hill

These all could help add to us hitting the ground running!

If we stay put at #8, take a guard: Lillard, Marshall, or Rivers.
                        If we move into the top 3: Davis (1st), MKG, Beal (2nd, 3rd).
                        This is what Portland is saying on Batum:

So we have the potential to do that. We also have the potential to sign some free agents. On top of that, with Nic being a restricted free agent this summer if we tender him his qualifying offer by June 30, we have the right to match him on any offer that comes in from another team. And how that will work is July 1 is the start of free agency moratorium where you can go out and talk to free agents, you can recruit them, bring them into your market, do whatever you want to do to try and recruit them to come to your team. You can talk contracts with the agents, you can talk years. You can come to an oral agreement, you can't come to a final agreement until July 11. But starting on July 11, a restricted free agent can, like Nicolas, if he gets an offer from another team, can bring that offer to you. Then we have three days to make a decision on whether to match that offer or not.

Now in the meantime, during that three-day window, we can go spend all of our cap room.

BARRETT: Three days is shorter than it used to be. That could be a factor.

BUCHANAN: It does because, hopefully during that July 1 to July 10 period you can get a firm grasp on where you're going with your free agent group. Who's agreed to come? You're down to maybe two teams or where you're at from that regard.

RICE: So you're looking to close a free agent deal before matching an offer for Nicolas?

BUCHANAN: Exactly, because you can spend all, let's say we have $15 million in cap room, you can spend all of that cap room, then go over the cap, not into the tax but over the cap, to re-sign Nicolas because you have Bird rights on Nicolas, so you can go over the cap to re-sign Nicolas.

Let's say we were to extend Nicolas early, back in January. Whatever we would have signed him at would have eaten up into our cap room. Let's say, hypothetically, you have $15 million in room, say you sing him for $10 million. So you have $5 million in cap room this summer to spend. Because we didn't get a deal done with him, he has what is called a cap hold, which is $5.4 million in room that is getting eat up on your books. So now you have this amount of room to spend on free agents and you can go over, on top of that, and re-sign Nic because you have his Bird rights.

BARRETT: The team has said they're going to match any offer for Nic. Nic has said he expects the team to match. Does that keep other teams from making offers because they don't want to have their free-agent money tied up?

BUCHANAN: It is a risk. On our end, we went through that with Paul Millsap a couple of years ago where your money, there's only so many free agents out there and you whittle down to the ones that you really want and target. If you're going to commit to a guy who's a restricted guy, you're tying up your money, like you said, it used to be seven, now it's three days. In that three-day window other guys may be coming off the block and now you're left, after the third day, if the team does match, now you're like, now let's go back, who's still in the pool? Now that guy is picked off that maybe you liked. it's a risk on their end. It was a risk on our end to kind of let him go to restricted, but we felt like the opportunity to add free agent or free agents on top of keeping Nic.

http://blogs.trailblazers.com/Broadc...4/Default.aspx
                        As for the free agents, it is a gamble with being outbid, matched, and players desires. Some of them, like Fields and Barnes, could be got for the MLE.

The final thing is a lot of NBA teams are going to have cap space this summer. There will be a lot of competition and based on history I don't see teams restraining themselves in a bidding war.

Comment

Tesla wrote: View Post
                          Can't say the same for Batum though. Sources say Portland will match everything; and offer him 10 million plus.

I like Batum and all... but 10 million? No thanks, that's a bit too much. Rajon Rondo makes only around 10 mil and hes a top 5 PG in the league. I'm starting to think that people are overrating Batum.
                          Yes, getting into $10M and over is definitely too much for Batum. Overpaying him makes some sense as he is the "young vet, with distance shooting, and fantastic defence" - basically the perfect fit ... but there are limits.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            This is what Portland is saying on Batum:

As for the free agents, it is a gamble with being outbid, matched, and players desires. Some of them, like Fields and Barnes, could be got for the MLE.

The final thing is a lot of NBA teams are going to have cap space this summer. There will be a lot of competition and based on history I don't see teams restraining themselves in a bidding war.
                            That is definitely the major downside of pursuing free agency ... the other teams with space, who will drive up player's value. Maybe we ARE better served building in trades, until our roster and past season's record are something that helps attract players here - not just being overpaid.

Tough call.

Comment

That is definitely the major downside of pursuing free agency ... the other teams with space, who will drive up player's value. Maybe we ARE better served building in trades, until our roster and past season's record are something that helps attract players here - not just being overpaid.

Tough call.
                              Agreed. Building through free agency always, always, always costs more.

Comment

Lots of people on this site are eager for the Toronto team to break out in 2013 but when they post here they have the need to appear NBA savvy and so they won't gush about the potential of a well coached AB plus DDR with JV. Sometimes it's okay to dream and even to gush a little at the prospect that Brian Colangelo just might be on to a winning formula a la OKC.

Comment

Working...
                                X