Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Would you rather" tournament pick'em: The Final 4 has begun! (post 204)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Match of Round 2

The LOSER of Round 2 Match 3 is:

John Henson

Henson beat out Sully in round 1, but didn't have enough basketball IQ to stay away from this match. Lost 11 to 1. Lesson: The republic likes potential.

Round 2 - Match 3

Would you rather have...

...........................Player W....................Player X
    Athleticism.............5.5....................... .......8
    Build/Strength.........7.5.............................7 .5
    Size.......................9...................... .........7
    Shooting................6.5....................... ......9
    Ball Handling............8............................. ..9
    Quickness...............7......................... ......9
    Passing...................9.5..................... .......6.5
    Rebounding..............4......................... .....5
    Post Skills................NA.......................... ...NA
    Defense..................7........................ .......6
    Intangibles..............9........................ .......8
    Leadership..............9......................... .......7
    NBA Readiness.........7.5............................. 8
    Potential.................7.5..................... .......8.5
    Basketball IQ...........9...............................8

I averaged the numbers from a couple of draft sights to put together the report that you see. I threw around the idea of posting the player's position, but since I revealed who is in the Elite 8 I decided to try and make this as blind as possible and keep the position a "mystery". You might be able to guess based on their attributes. In this round I will only reveal who lost the match, and will only reveal the final 4 once round 2 is complete.
    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    ― John Wooden

Comment

• i like X
      in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

• If this is a PG comparison, then Player W for me. W has higher ratings in Passing, Defense, Intangibles, Leadership and BBIQ, with lower-but-still-good ratings in Ball Handling, NBA Readiness and Potential.

If this is a SG comparison, then Player X for me. X has sick ratings in Athleticism, Quickness, Ball Handling and Shooting, with good ratings for Intangibles, NBA Readiness, Potential and BBIQ.

My assumption is PG, so I go Player W.

Comment

• X

As Bayless has proven, passing can be learned. Athleticism, quickness and potential cannot.

Comment

• My reasons are a lot like CalgaryRapsFan. I like W as a PG, I like X as a SG. It's a real toss-up, definitely the toughest for me this round. Okay, I think it's X, and hope that Casey can teach him to play D.

Comment

• Interesting battle

If they were both PGs I'd go with W
              If they were both SGs I'd definitely go with X
              If W was a PG and X was a SG I'd go with X
              If W was an SG and X was a PG I'd go with X

X wins 3-1, plus I think X has more of what this team is looking for at this time.

So my vote is for X
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• This one was probably the hardest decision for me to make, because i love guards who can pass the ball, but i have to go with X in this blind match up the athletism, shooting disparities are way too big. Even though I wouldn't be disappointed if the raps chose someone like player W

Comment

• Player X is currently up 5 votes to 1. I will let this matchup run through till tomorrow night in light of the fact that it's the long weekend. The current matchup is...

...........................Player W....................Player X
                  Athleticism.............5.5....................... .......8
                  Build/Strength.........7.5.............................7 .5
                  Size.......................9...................... .........7
                  Shooting................6.5....................... ......9
                  Ball Handling............8............................. ..9
                  Quickness...............7......................... ......9
                  Passing...................9.5..................... .......6.5
                  Rebounding..............4......................... .....5
                  Post Skills................NA.......................... ...NA
                  Defense..................7........................ .......6
                  Intangibles..............9........................ .......8
                  Leadership..............9......................... .......7
                  NBA Readiness.........7.5............................. 8
                  Potential.................7.5..................... .......8.5
                  Basketball IQ...........9...............................8

Final Four starts on Monday night!!
                  “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
                  ― John Wooden

Comment

• Final Four - Match 1

Austin Rivers punches the final ticket into the big dance. He beats out Kendall Marshall and joins Drummond, Robinson and Barnes in the Final Four!

For this round we will have a matchup of bigs and a matchup of smalls/wings. I will be using schematics for the final four, which is explained here:

Schematics- How prospects have demonstrated the capacity to run NBA offensive systems, sets and ‘bread and butter’ plays at the prep, NCAA and International levels. Meant to give an indication of how a player can be utilized and how likely they are to find success in each category eventually at the next level relative to NBA competition running these types of plays.

Further Schematic Explanation:
                    Isolation- Ability to operate in a one-on-one matchup from the perimeter around the 3-point line and midrange.
                    Post Up- Ability to operate with back to the basket or facing up while battling for position around midrange and outside the paint.
                    Pick & Roll- Capacity of players to use a screen from the perimeter to get an open shot, drive the lane or create off of it, or to set the screen to roll to the basket or pop out for a shot.
                    Off Ball- Capacity of players to run off and use screens to get an open shots, capitalize on spot up opportunities or use them to get a lane or create, or to set them and roll out of them for open shots.
                    Transition- Players knack for getting out on the break after turnovers, rebounds or made baskets and to create or finish in an up-tempo possession against favorable numbers (3 on 2, 2 on 1, etc.) and without an established defense.
                    Final Four: Match 1 - The Bigs

.........................Player Y...........................Player Z
                    Isolation.....................7................... ....................5
                    Post Up......................6......................... ..............7
                    Pick & Roll...................8.......................... .............8
                    Off Ball.......................6...................... .................7
                    Transition...................7.................... ...................7

Who would you rather have? What are your thoughts on the guys that made it through to the final four?
                    ― John Wooden

Comment

• Not sure if this is the best way to compare them, considering that as bigs, they'll be expected contribute defensively at least as much as they will offensively. That being said, Z seems like the better offensive player. His obvious weakness is ISO plays, and that's easily fixable: don't give him any ISO plays.

Comment

• KingMaxwell47 wrote: View Post
                        Not sure if this is the best way to compare them, considering that as bigs, they'll be expected contribute defensively at least as much as they will offensively. That being said, Z seems like the better offensive player. His obvious weakness is ISO plays, and that's easily fixable: don't give him any ISO plays.
                        I agree that this comparison does not fairly address their defensive games; however, all four of these guys have made it through 2 rounds that quite comprehensively compared their whole games. Apart from comparing stats (which would be really obvious as to who it would be) and interview skills it is hard to find information that would work for this round... hence, schematics.
                        ― John Wooden

Comment

• I agree with Z. Post scoring trumps perimeter iso for a big man.
                          in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

• z

Comment

• I'll take Y I think the midrange game makes him more flexible on offense, and will help spread the floor. The discrepancy in post ups is only 1 point and I think probably can be coached, plus JV will be working in the post anyway.
                              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• Since it's big guys i'll go with the one that can post up better, z
                                Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

Working...
                                X