Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lamond Murray Talks Raptors: "Siberia" of the NBA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden
    replied
    Nilanka wrote: View Post
    One can argue that the Spurs "lucked" into Duncan, which is essentially what LBF was eluding to. Had the Spurs not won the lottery, and had to pick 2nd instead, I don't think they would've won any championships with Keith Van Horn leading the way.
    Not even an argument - Spurs sheer luck is a fact. Spurs were coming off a 50 win season and then the Admiral went down and also another top scorer (can't recall his name right now) in the Duncan draft year. You never want your top players to get injured, but that's like an absolute perfect storm. Without Duncan, it doesn't matter how well the Spurs draft in the following years - they don't win 4 championships - especially after Robinson retires.

Leave a comment:

• Jclaw
    replied
    Kind of a misleading title for our fragile psyches, no? Makes it seem like he's saying we are siberia (as opposed to the just slightly warmer part of northern russia we are now). I think as long as we don't get espn here, we'll be a step behind but once the players get here are realize there are a couple of good restaurants and clubs between the igloos...we come off okay,

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    I think this "new age" speaks largely about society in general. Nobody really has any patience for anything these days, whether in sports, or in every day life.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    You don't know that Van Horn would go second. Maybe it would have been Billups, who was the instrumental driving force on that championship Pistons squad. The Spurs draft well no matter where they draft. They won a championships after the Admiral retired because of the guys they took in the late part of drafts. They've maintained largely through the draft and finding diamonds in the rough. There are lots of hall-of-famers who never win anything, like Karl Malone.

All that being said, we can't grant ownership for building from within to the Spurs or Thunder. Building from within is an old idea. Stealing other team's talent via free agency is a new age philosophy. It could not have come about without a mutual lack of loyalty/trust which has developed in the Owner/player relationship in the past couple decades. It's grown more and more prevalent. Fingers crossed on it all being a cycle and a golden age of ball is just around the corner again.

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    One can argue that the Spurs "lucked" into Duncan, which is essentially what LBF was eluding to. Had the Spurs not won the lottery, and had to pick 2nd instead, I don't think they would've won any championships with Keith Van Horn leading the way.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Well the Spurs have won Championships with it. It's good management without depending heavily on free agency.

Leave a comment:

• LBF
    replied
    It's funny how people view that as a model, eh?

The "Oklahoma" model or the "Pittsburgh" model.

Give me a break. You don't think every single other team has tried that long before there was oklahoma. In fact, pittsburgh has got lucky quite a few times.

Lemeiux(best player in league) Jagr(?), Crosby(best player in league) Malkin, Staal, Fleury.

Think about how bad and long they had to suck to get those guys. It's no model. Luck has just turned for those franchises.

Leave a comment:

• C-Low
    replied
    OKC would be in this exact same situation were it not for them to strike gold. The drafting game is 80% luck and 20% scouting.
    correct.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Yeah, he should have been sent west.

Leave a comment:

• BallaBalla
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    Mourning was an above average role player in his post-injury days. Him telling the Raptors to go stick it was more a matter of what the team was rather than where the team was located. It was dumb move by Babcock because Mourning's contract was not insured because due to his health, he said he didn't want to play in Toronto and so Babcock had to have known he was playing chicken on his tricycle against Grave Digger. Babcock caved under the immense pressures... Carter on one side and Peddie on the other side. Typically when a star is moved the team either gets back a good player in return, or young prospect and expiring contracts or they get cap relief. The Raptors got none of the above due to Carter's unprofessional, unethical ways and Babcock's lack of competency. Ever have an f-bomb hang on the tip of your tongue? I have one ready for action every time I recall that stupid Vince Carter trade demand saga.
    YES! I am not sure how many people know that story.....but this was what made the trade so incredibly stupid...we knew going in that he wouldn't play.

So even though picking Rafa over Iggy was offensively bad....this move was still worse by virtue of this fact (and also that he traded VC INTO our division)

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    I just want to hear broadcasters other than Matt, Jack and Leo. If it takes American recognition to get it, so be it.

Leave a comment:

• Gman
    replied
    American's are inculcated in this all pervasive ethnocentrism. I mean why would they travel and become worldly when the best sunshine is American sunshine . In some ways there's a feeling that it's changing. The quivering cesspool that is their political process is starting to wake people up to the other aspects of the their culture that is sadly wanting.

Hopefully this means that more players will, at the very least, consider playing in Canada.

Leave a comment:

• LBF
    replied
    Thinking about the other side of the spectrum. Who cares about americans?!

With the increase of and in talent coming up as we speak in this country and everywhere else besides the u.s. Who is to say we can't have one of the best teams in the league or at least a competitive one without an american on it?

Leave a comment:

• LBF
    replied
    I think that, with the cfl broadcasting a few games a year on the nfl network. It's rwally going to help open that barrier/misconception or w/e you want to call it.

Them seeing their fellow countrymen doing well here, some of their all-time collegiate players, and just see what this country is really like. I think it'll go along way towards not just athletes. But, the majority of the american public.

From what I understand, the amount of people they have compared to here and how many have not been outside the u.s. is pathetic. That's a big part of the problem in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Sig
    replied
    theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
    See: Andrea Bargnani
    Meh, this isn't really that similar of a situation, we KNOW who's going to be #1 this year as opposed to '06 when it was a toss-up.

Besides, no GM ever gets a third chance

Leave a comment:

Working...
X