Would you rather Lin or Bayless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    So what are you saying here, that if the guy doesn't fit your personal definition of a PG he gets a pass if he has all-world talent?
    Yes.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      So what are you saying here, that if the guy doesn't fit your personal definition of a PG he gets a pass if he has all-world talent?
      Yes.

I suppose if a drug dealer on the street gives you something to relieve the pain of a broken arm he's now a pharmacist in your opinion because he delivered something of significant impact?

Do you see how your logic on this one is flawed? Also there are hundreds of millions of hoops fans. What if they don't agree with your opinion? How can all-star ballots take place? How could depth charts be determined?

Comment

I suppose if a drug dealer on the street gives you something to relieve the pain of a broken arm he's now a pharmacist in your opinion because he delivered something of significant impact?
        Pharmacists are certified, licensed professionals who we (the public) rely on for our health.

When point guards graduate with the same level of scrutiny, and affect the public in the same way, I'll make sure to answer this question directly

Comment

Pharmacists are certified, licensed professionals who we (the public) rely on for our health.

When point guards graduate with the same level of scrutiny, and affect the public in the same way, I'll make sure to answer this question directly
          Oh but they have in their own way. They're both professionals in their fields.

Comment

Does anyone remember the games where Lin played against Rondo, D-Rose, Deron Williams even Mario Chalmers, he was destroyed, wrecked, absolutely massacred... he couldn't even bring the ball up half-court without coughing it up.

I'm glad we don't have this guy b/c at best he's a AVERAGE MARGINAL PLAYER, in a division where you have to face those guys 10+ times he doesn't stand a chance.

Through 8 games he was averaging 6.5 turnovers a game, and some of you want this guy over Bayless.
            Last edited by KingRaptors; Wed May 23, 2012, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Do you see how your logic on this one is flawed? Also there are hundreds of millions of hoops fans. What if they don't agree with your opinion? How can all-star ballots take place? How could depth charts be determined?
              Where is the flaw? My opinions are exactly that....my opinions. I assumed that my original comment (that Bayless is NOT a point guard) was understood to be my opinion, and not scripture.

And don't get me started on the mockery that is fan-voting. If it were up to me, fan-voting would've been eliminated long ago.

Comment

Oh but they have in their own way. They're both professionals in their fields.
                Professionals yes, licensed no.

One's an entertainer. The other is actually important.

Comment

A factor people are forgetting is Bayless' own stated desire to be a STARTING point guard. He's entering his 5th year and hasn't cracked that goal yet, despite being on pretty bad teams the whole time. To say he's never got a fair shake is simply conspiracy theory. He's getting long in the tooth to become a starter, and it sure won't be on a team that intends to make the playoffs on a regular basis starting next year.

I'm not about to re-start the debate over why he put up good numbers as a starter vs. off the bench. Leave at the fact that he WILL be coming off the bench next year, and likely for the rest of his career, and judge for yourself whether he will ever produce at the same level off the bench as he did in a few games as a starter with no pressure on him (losing team, short season, no hope of playoffs). Compare his bench production to the potential contract.

That said, Lin's not the answer, either, at the numbers people are throwing around.

"Neither" is the only answer. Let Bayless walk, let Lin sign in NYC. If Marshall is the BPA when the pick comes up, that would be awesome. If not, don't reach in the draft, and look for one in FA/trade instead. There are always options, and backup PG is not where I would prefer to see this offseason's flexibility used.
                  Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
                    A factor people are forgetting is Bayless' own stated desire to be a STARTING point guard. He's entering his 5th year and hasn't cracked that goal yet, despite being on pretty bad teams the whole time. To say he's never got a fair shake is simply conspiracy theory. He's getting long in the tooth to become a starter, and it sure won't be on a team that intends to make the playoffs on a regular basis starting next year.
                    I don't know man... We've got that winning environment now and they're going to hit the ground running next year now that the rebuilding is over and they have all these talented young players. No doubt Bayless will work harder than ever this summer and come into camp in the best shape of his life, ready to turn over a new leaf and do whatever it takes to help the team after all the areas of his game he improved over the offseason. I'm expecting him to finally break out next season just like Derozan did this year.

You have to stop paying attention to production and history and start paying attention to what players are saying in training camp, management's campaign to ensure season ticket sales and fans attempts to talk themselves into Bayless being a starting PG cause the roster is so awful. That's where the real truth lies.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                      I don't know man... We've got that winning environment now and they're going to hit the ground running next year now that the rebuilding is over and they have all these talented young players. No doubt Bayless will work harder than ever this summer and come into camp in the best shape of his life, ready to turn over a new leaf and do whatever it takes to help the team after all the areas of his game he improved over the offseason. I'm expecting him to finally break out next season just like Derozan did this year.
                      You have to stop paying attention to production and history and start paying attention to what players are saying in training camp, management's campaign to ensure season ticket sales and fans attempts to talk themselves into Bayless being a starting PG cause the roster is so awful. That's where the real truth lies.
                      I watched every game, but must have missed DeRozan breaking out. From what I recall, he was completely invisible for the first half of the season and shot around 20% from beyond the arc for the season. I'm hoping DeRozan breaks out this upcoming season. As for Bayless, I wrote him off two seasons ago and feel like he did nothing but justify that last season. I'd be quite disappointed if Bayless is re-signed, especially given his QO amount of $4M+!

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                        The salaries won't work out we'd over pay for Lin way too much, as matt stated before. Also Bayless brings more athleticism, killer instinct, and willingness to win than Lin. I'm pretty sure he'll demand calderon money, would you pay that? i doubt it
                        More athleticism? More Killer Instinct? More willingness to win? Examples, please.

Comment

Where is the flaw? My opinions are exactly that....my opinions. I assumed that my original comment (that Bayless is NOT a point guard) was understood to be my opinion, and not scripture.

And don't get me started on the mockery that is fan-voting. If it were up to me, fan-voting would've been eliminated long ago.
                          Ok, well you can be of the opinion that gravity does not exist but I assure you it's not wise to jump off your roof. Similarly Casey plays Bayless almost strictly at PG so therefore...

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                            More athleticism? More Killer Instinct? More willingness to win? Examples, please.
                            Athleticism is obvious. Killer instinct, check the games against Memphis and Cleveland. Willingness to win should be obvious too, he always states that he will do whatever it takes to help us win

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                              Athleticism is obvious. Killer instinct, check the games against Memphis and Cleveland. Willingness to win should be obvious too, he always states that he will do whatever it takes to help us win
                              I totally agree, Bayless got some heart, but he also has a little selfish demeanor about him.
                              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Lin could do the taxes for everyone on the team
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X