Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you rather Lin or Bayless?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MangoKid
    replied
    NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Jenning did not lead his team to the playoffs. They made it in his rookie season and Bogut was a huge part of that.
    You say Jennings had no part of it? Kid played in all 82 games, led the team in assists, in points scored, in steals, minutes played. Yup, he had no part in leading his team to the playoffs in his rookie season.

    Leave a comment:


  • NoPropsneeded
    replied
    Idk about you guys but those string of games(cept for the NJ one) where he started the offense looked very fluid. Bayless hasn't been here as long as calderon to know where and when his teammates like the ball. Considering that, Bayless actually did a phenominal job at running the point when starting. I'd really like to see him get extended because DC stated he wants a fast paced offense next season. Calderon is aging, has injury issues, and playing with the spanish national team doesn't exactly help that. Bayless is lightening quick and athletic, he'd do very well in a fast paced offense. Give him a full summer with his teammates and he'll do well next season(if he's back that is)

    Leave a comment:


  • NoPropsneeded
    replied
    MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Like I've said before, I'm not familliar with who you are, so I couldn't judge as to whether you were actually comparing Westbrook's game with Bayless' game or whether you were being facetious.
    As for Jennings, I believe he's a better point guard than Bayless. He's quicker, better court vision, better defensively. Jennings plays major minutes. He has led his team to the playoffs. Bayless has not.
    Jenning did not lead his team to the playoffs. They made it in his rookie season and Bogut was a huge part of that. If he did lead his team to the playoffs he should have been able to do it this year and last year too, but he couldn't.
    Last edited by NoPropsneeded; Fri May 25, 2012, 07:29 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • NoPropsneeded
    replied
    Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I think that in some of these cases, we're confusing "potential" with "youth". Just because a player is young, it doesn't necessarily mean that the sky is the limit.

    I'll admit that anything is possible surrounding Bayless. But based on what I've seen, I personally don't think he's the type of lead guard capable of leading a team deep into the playoffs.
    you might be but im not. Bayless has potential and you have seen it. IMO his worst case scenerio is George Hill and his Best case scenerio is Billups or Conley.

    Leave a comment:


  • planetmars
    replied
    special1 wrote: View Post
    +1

    69.23 percent of the members who voted agree with us that they would prefer Bayless over Lin I hope BC sees this!
    The major reason why I voted Bayless over Lin is for monetary reasons. If both Lin and Bayless made the same amount of money I would have voted Lin. I prefer my PG to be a facilitator, and with JV and Bargnani on the team I would want my PG to be good with the pick and roll. Lin is an excellent P&R guard.. can't say the same for Bayless.

    Leave a comment:


  • special1
    replied
    tbihis wrote: View Post
    I dont think he was comparing Bayless with Westbrook as players on the same level, the way i understand his post, he's comparing the style of play, not the level.

    I look at Bayless' situation as a half-full rather than half-empty type thing. Id be worried if he doesnt pout on the bench, because if you have a 24 yr old player who act "contented" riding the bench and being a backup, then you have to question that player's drive. A player that young should be aspiring to be a starter, should be confident that he can be a starter. And when he does get his chance, he doesnt let it go to waste, he plays and does what he can to contribute. And what i like most about Bayless is he's politically correct, you hear him telling the media he'll do whatever the Raps ask of him, but its obvious he wants to contribute more, as a starter. but he knows coming out and saying that will most likely disrupt team chemistry so he's taking it slow, taking his lumps and hopes that eventually he'll be a starter someday.

    all the negatives you outlined, IMO, can be fixed, or improved through camp and practices.

    DC already said at the start of the season that there will be no PG controversy under his watch, as long as Calderon is able to play, he will start, specially on a season that is most likely a wash anyways. The real question now is, if they re-sign Bayless, will that be insinuating that he is going to start? IMO, if they re-sign Bayless and then not draft a PG, then Yes.

    Oh and to answer the question, Im going with Bayless over Lin. stats are close, but I would prefer Bayless' drive and defense over Lin.
    +1

    69.23 percent of the members who voted agree with us that they would prefer Bayless over Lin I hope BC sees this!

    Leave a comment:


  • TheGloveinRapsUniform
    replied
    MangoKid wrote: View Post
    There's absolutely no way you can compare Westbrook and Bayless. They're on two different levels. At least when Westbrook's shot isn't falling, he's a terror on defense. He finds ways to win. All I see Bayless do is pout on the bench - and I like Bayless. I've always been a big supporter of Bayless, but I get frustrated with the things like not getting his teammates into rythym, taking really ill-advised shots early into the shot clock and making really low-ball IQ plays when he's a really smart guy. Believe me, if the braintrust figured that Bayles was THE guy for the starting point guard of this team, they would have started him more times over Calderon.
    I dont think he was comparing Bayless with Westbrook as players on the same level, the way i understand his post, he's comparing the style of play, not the level.

    I look at Bayless' situation as a half-full rather than half-empty type thing. Id be worried if he doesnt pout on the bench, because if you have a 24 yr old player who act "contented" riding the bench and being a backup, then you have to question that player's drive. A player that young should be aspiring to be a starter, should be confident that he can be a starter. And when he does get his chance, he doesnt let it go to waste, he plays and does what he can to contribute. And what i like most about Bayless is he's politically correct, you hear him telling the media he'll do whatever the Raps ask of him, but its obvious he wants to contribute more, as a starter. but he knows coming out and saying that will most likely disrupt team chemistry so he's taking it slow, taking his lumps and hopes that eventually he'll be a starter someday.

    all the negatives you outlined, IMO, can be fixed, or improved through camp and practices.

    DC already said at the start of the season that there will be no PG controversy under his watch, as long as Calderon is able to play, he will start, specially on a season that is most likely a wash anyways. The real question now is, if they re-sign Bayless, will that be insinuating that he is going to start? IMO, if they re-sign Bayless and then not draft a PG, then Yes.

    Oh and to answer the question, Im going with Bayless over Lin. stats are close, but I would prefer Bayless' drive and defense over Lin.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bendit
    replied
    visko23 wrote: View Post
    100%. Lin means more national tv time which players like. Bosh bounced because of this. Pretty obvious as he immediately filmed entourage and whatever else! People wanted to come here when Vince was making highlights and getting us on TNT, NBC, ESPN, etc. After that, who wants to play when their fam and friends never sees them? Lin would help this, so he brings more to the table than a Bayless anywhere near the same pricetag.
    Lin has not played many games and some are predicting that the sample size in stats will be the norm and in fact increase. Thus the house will be full and so will the org's coffers. The underlying implication of course is that the Chinese community will continue to show the same support they showed when he played here at the ACC with the Knicks. Has anyone heard of Yi Jianlin? The Bucks & later the Nets had visions of full houses and offshore tv ratings. I hear that 100 million viewers in China watched his first pro game and 200 mill. the first time he played Yao Ming. Heady stuff. And then.....?

    The point being that we do not know how sustainable his performance will be when he becomes a known quantity and with the Raptors be playing under another coach and with different mates. Will the crowds still show when/if he struggles or not play at those levels for the 25 games in NY. What happens then? Getting Lin at the price he will command in order for the Knicks not to match is just a pretty dangerous leap in my view. This especially since we do not really need a pg as a priority while we have other needs.

    Leave a comment:


  • visko23
    replied
    MangoKid wrote: View Post
    If the Raptors pick up Bayless' QO and sign him long term, you're probably looking at 4 million per season for 3-4 seasons. Lin will cost 5-6 million per. Now talent level being a wash from what we've seen, would you rather the team playing before a full house with great fan support or 60-65% full? The players will tell you that they'd rather play before a full house. That's what Lin brings. That's the difference between the two and it should play a huge factor in deciding as to whether or not to sign him.
    100%. Lin means more national tv time which players like. Bosh bounced because of this. Pretty obvious as he immediately filmed entourage and whatever else! People wanted to come here when Vince was making highlights and getting us on TNT, NBC, ESPN, etc. After that, who wants to play when their fam and friends never sees them? Lin would help this, so he brings more to the table than a Bayless anywhere near the same pricetag.

    Leave a comment:


  • mcHAPPY
    replied
    special1 wrote: View Post
    Okay MangoKid.....apparantely we both believe that you cannot compare Westbrook and Bayless (Talent wise - especially athleticism and speed).....however they are both seemingly shoot first point guards or combo guards that get a ton of hate for their non-passing qualities (thats where the comparison begins and ends).....I actually said Jennings as well (I guessed you missed that part).......Promise you wont complain to the Mods and Admins??? FOH lol
    Not sure if you aware but MangoKid is a moderator as am I - no powertrip, just letting you know.

    I suggest you look through the RR rules and policies. Your ideas and opinions are more than welcome. You are never going to have an issue posting a controversial, Raptor-related topic or opinion. Unfortunately, the tone of your replies does not fly with what is accepted and considered 'the norm' on RaptorRepublic forums.

    Mutual respect is key to the discussions here. Thus far, I am not getting that vibe in your posts. Posting your opinion in a manner than attempts to belittle other posters is best kept to the numerous unmoderated or accepting of such sites on the web.

    If you have an issue with anything I've typed, please private message myself, MangoKid, Apollo, Doc Naismith, or .40 Cal Flakes. There is no need to waste other members time on this matter. If these types of posts continue, there will be little need to worry about how you post here because you won't.

    Leave a comment:


  • MangoKid
    replied
    special1 wrote: View Post
    Okay MangoKid.....apparantely we both believe that you cannot compare Westbrook and Bayless (Talent wise - especially athleticism and speed).....however they are both seemingly shoot first point guards or combo guards that get a ton of hate for their non-passing qualities (thats where the comparison begins and ends).....I actually said Jennings as well (I guessed you missed that part).......Promise you wont complain to the Mods and Admins??? FOH lol
    Like I've said before, I'm not familliar with who you are, so I couldn't judge as to whether you were actually comparing Westbrook's game with Bayless' game or whether you were being facetious.
    As for Jennings, I believe he's a better point guard than Bayless. He's quicker, better court vision, better defensively. Jennings plays major minutes. He has led his team to the playoffs. Bayless has not.

    Leave a comment:


  • special1
    replied
    MangoKid wrote: View Post
    I don't know who you are, you're new here, so I have no idea if you're being facetious or not, but if you want to continue sassing people on here, I'm sure the mods and admins can cook up something to remedy that.
    Okay MangoKid.....apparantely we both believe that you cannot compare Westbrook and Bayless (Talent wise - especially athleticism and speed).....however they are both seemingly shoot first point guards or combo guards that get a ton of hate for their non-passing qualities (thats where the comparison begins and ends).....I actually said Jennings as well (I guessed you missed that part).......Promise you wont complain to the Mods and Admins??? FOH lol

    Leave a comment:


  • MangoKid
    replied
    special1 wrote: View Post
    I think its a joke that you actually believed i was comparing Westbrook to Bayless.....maybe my point didnt come across as i meant it.
    I don't know who you are, you're new here, so I have no idea if you're being facetious or not, but if you want to continue sassing people on here, I'm sure the mods and admins can cook up something to remedy that.

    Leave a comment:


  • special1
    replied
    MangoKid wrote: View Post
    There's absolutely no way you can compare Westbrook and Bayless. They're on two different levels. At least when Westbrook's shot isn't falling, he's a terror on defense. He finds ways to win. All I see Bayless do is pout on the bench - and I like Bayless. I've always been a big supporter of Bayless, but I get frustrated with the things like not getting his teammates into rythym, taking really ill-advised shots early into the shot clock and making really low-ball IQ plays when he's a really smart guy. Believe me, if the braintrust figured that Bayles was THE guy for the starting point guard of this team, they would have started him more times over Calderon.
    I think its a joke that you actually believed i was comparing Westbrook to Bayless.....maybe my point didnt come across as i meant it.

    Leave a comment:


  • special1
    replied
    jimmie wrote: View Post
    Bayless is not Westbrook. They aren't the same person, they're not the same player, they don't have the same skillset. The comparison doesn't really hold any water. Westbrook was never in the position Bayless has been in for 4 years, so we don't know how he would have performed if he'd started his career as a backup (although, if you DO want to compare circumstances, they both came in with the opportunity to take the starter's role; Westbrook beat out Earl Watson and Damien Wilkins after about 20 games; Bayless couldn't beat out Steve Blake and Sergio Rodriguez). Bring that argument/comparison of Westbrook-Bayless to an NBA GM and they'd laugh at you.

    Look, if you can't do it off the bench, then you can't do it at all, in my books. That, combined with the fact that Bayless thinks he's a starter and wants to be a starter, are enough for me to let him walk and try his luck elsewhere. IMO, not worth the (high) potential that he'll just continue to suck off the bench, but at a higher price.
    Obviously you completely ignore his numbers when he actually starts and thats fine....... I actually said that if we are not going to give him a shot at starting we should let him go elsewhere and i would be fine with that.....

    Lets also keep in mind that Brandon Roy was on that team as well......thats probably why Bayless averaged about 12 mins a game.....I bet they would've kept him had they known Brandon Roy's knees were done.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X