Would Derozan work in the 3 spot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Derozan work in the 3 spot?

There's been some talk about Demar Derozan sliding to the 3 spot if we draft a SG next season. Personally I think there may be some size issue and I wanted to get a feel of how many people actually think he could work playing as a small forward
    Yes
    42.50%
    No
    57.50%
    in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

I don't feel he can play that spot 30 plus minutes a game. If he were a physical defender and player now, maybe I would give him a chance, but I don't want him as the starting small forward on my team.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I dunno on one hand he was way more effective last year playing the 3 but on the other hand those werent really big minutes nor does he have much of a frame and he clearly doesn't seem too keen on hitting the gym.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

voted no. i think it gives a built in excuse for more development. we would be hearing a lot of "demar learning a new position" talk.

if they wanted him there they should have played him there to start his career.

Comment

It would be a nice idea for derozan to play the 3, so maybe we can concentrate on an sg or even a pg on the draft, like lillard, rivers or lamb. But, truth is, he would get beaten to a pulp at that position, it'll work for stretches at a time, but as a full-time sf, not gonna work.

Comment

IF he can really workout and put on a lot more weight while still being explosive on offense, then yes.

But I do not see that as being likely, so im going to vote no.

Comment

I've seen enough skinny 3's succeed, that I'm not too worried about it. As long as he applies himself on D.

It's his crappy rebounding that concerns me. If Andrea is still on the team, I don't think they can get away with it.

Comment

My main concern would be rebounding. We already have PF that plays away from the rim and DeMar doesn't show a desire to hit the boards. I don't know where our rebounds would come from. Jonas would have to average 25 rebounds a night.

Comment

I voted yes because I do think it's realistic that the BPA if/when we use our lottery pick could be a shooting guard and could be taken by Coangelo. If this happens I think it is REALLY likely that demar could be moved to SF.

It the question was

"Do you think Demar is likely to be an above average starting SF should he get the majority of his minutes at that position?" I would say no due to size, defense, and rebounding.

But I do think there is a realistic possibility that he will get a lot of minutes at SF next year based on who we draft.

I do think we should keep in mind that the Raptors thought that Sonny Weems was a better option at SF than Demar. I still think that had sonny and demar battled it out for minutes at the 2 spot, we may have resigned weems as a back up SG.
                  "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I voted no (mainly from a defensive perspective).

DeMar is already one of our weakest perimeter defenders. Moving him to SF, where he would face even tougher matchups, is likely a recipe for disaster. As some have mentioned, if you combine this with DeMar's aversion to rebounding, it has "bad idea" written all over it.

If we end up drafting a SG, then trade DeRozan (rather than attempting to fit a square peg through a round hole).

Comment

I voted yes. I've tossed this idea out here many times. I feel his natural skill set is better suited to the 3. Anyone questioning size needs to check out Bruce Bowen.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        I voted yes. I've tossed this idea out here many times. I feel his natural skill set is better suited to the 3. Anyone questioning size needs to check out Bruce Bowen.
                        Bruce Bowen was a special defensive player, one of the best of all time, plus a very good 3-point shooter. Derozan hasn't shown that kind of elite ability in any area yet. I wouldn't hang my hat on DD's ability to move to the SF spot based on Bowen's success.
                        Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
                          Bruce Bowen was a special defensive player, one of the best of all time, plus a very good 3-point shooter. Derozan hasn't shown that kind of elite ability in any area yet. I wouldn't hang my hat on DD's ability to move to the SF spot based on Bowen's success.
                          Replace "special" with dirty and you have it down to a T.

Comment

Yes He Can!

He definitely has the skill set, all he needs is to bulk up a bit, I think he can do it.
                            "Defense wins championships."

Comment

DeRozan can play SF offensively, but not defensively. He's not good defensively at SG, without the increased physical demands that would come with the switch to SF.

Comment

Working...
                              X