2012 Raptors Republic Mock Draft: Fan Edition - 6th Overall Pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Raptors Republic Mock Draft: Fan Edition - 6th Overall Pick

In the 2012 Raptors Republic mock draft, we move onto one of two teams with 2 lotto picks and some options - the Portland Trail Blazers. Portland has a talented big man in LaMarcus Aldridge, supersub Wesley Matthews and a lot of cap space. Which way do they go? Nicolas Batum is a restricted free agent and they can match any offer that comes their way, but will some other team make things difficult on them by trying to lure him with a massive contract? The Blazers are also in need of a big man and a point guard as Raymond Felton is a free agent.

Raptors Republic, who do you think the Portland Trail Blazers will take with the #6th pick in the 2012 NBA Draft?
    Bradley Beal, SG, Florida
    48.78%
    Jeremy Lamb, SG, Connecticut
    4.88%
    Perry Jones, SF/PF, Baylor
    7.32%
    Jared Sullinger, PF, Ohio State
    2.44%
    Damian Lillard, PG, Weber State
    31.71%
    Terrence Jones, SF, Kentucky
    2.44%
    Austin Rivers, SG, Duke
    0.00%
    Kendall Marshall, PG, North Carolina
    2.44%

The poll is expired.

I think this one comes down to Lillard and Beal for them... I think Beal edges out.

― John Wooden

Comment

took lillard. i think that they can plug either the 2 or 3 in free agency and give the other to batum.

Comment

Portland needs a PG and a C. Since Drummond is gone, I'm going with Lillard.

Is anybody else purposely not picking Beal cause you want the Raptors to get him?

Comment

they take Lilliard

Comment

Tesla wrote: View Post
            Portland needs a PG and a C. Since Drummond is gone, I'm going with Lillard.

Is anybody else purposely not picking Beal cause you want the Raptors to get him?

Nahh, I have a feeling that Beal could slip to 7, but not 8

Comment

I voted for Beal. I don't think he would have made it this far.

My mock:

Davis
              Beal
              Robinson
              MKG
              Barnes
              Drummond

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
                Nahh, I have a feeling that Beal could slip to 7, but not 8
                I heard GS is very high on Sullinger. They also already have Thompson at the 2... you never know...

Comment

Lilliard is getting great reviews. Who knows. I voted for him due to need, but they could also draft Beal and trade Matthews down the road.

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

i think they go lillard if beal isn't there, but nab beal in a heartbeat. aldridge/batum/beal is a heck of a core. i wonder if they'd even get him to play pg.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Tough call, but I go with Lillard, unless they think they have a realistic shot at one of the big name free agent PG, then they could go Beal. With Aldridge, Batum and Matthews, they seem to be set at the 2/3/4, hence the need for a PG. They could probably pickup a big with their second lottery pick.

Comment

I voted Lillard.. Beal might be a good player, but he has deficiencies.. and Portland needs a PG. If Matthews is on the block they take Beal since I think he would be the BPA. But I'm going Lillard if the draft played out the way it did according to our Mock Draft.

Comment

This board mock draft is getting harder and harder to follow because of all the wrong picks earlier on.

Bradley Beal available at #6? Cmon.
                          your pal,
                          ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                            This board mock draft is getting harder and harder to follow because of all the wrong picks earlier on.

Bradley Beal available at #6? Cmon.
                            It is hard to believe he slips... but there's hardly a consensus BPA once you get past the top pick. It's also hard to guage how much positional need comes into play, or whether teams are looking at becoming competitive in a 1-3 year window VS a 3-5 year window.

After #1, I see this draft playing out a lot like the entire 2006 draft when Bargnani went 1st overall. In that draft, there were a bunch of solid players who were all expected to be solid contributors, but it was hard to predict/agree on which ones would become true star players. A lot of the top-10 picks in that draft came down to positional need as much as BPA, IMO. I think it comes down to grouping players together according to positional need, then drafting BPA from among that smaller group (ie: bigs, wings and PGs). The one thing that 2012 has that 2006 didn't, is a consensus #1 pick.

Consensus #1 pick
                            - 2006 draft: none
                            - 2012 draft: Davis

Bigs
                            - 2006 draft: Bargnani, Aldridge, Thomas, Williams
                            - 2012 draft: Robinson, Drummond, Sullinger, Henson

Wings
                            - 2006 draft: Roy, Gay, Foye, Morrison
                            - 2012 draft: MKG, Beal, Barnes, Lamb, PJIII, T.Jones

PGs
                            - 2006 draft: there really weren't any highly touted PGs, at least as potential top-10 picks (Douby @ 19, Rondo @ 21... Fugly!)
                            - 2012 draft: Lillard, Marshall, Waiters

That's why I don't think it's inconceivable for a particular player to drop (or rise) substantially, especially at a position that isn't in high demand through the top-10 (ie: Portland & Toronto are only teams that really need a PG in the top-9).

Comment

R-A

Pick #6 ..... Andre Drummond. With potential changes (and player movements), a Big Centre to go with Aldridge could help the Trail Blazers. Even if his ultimate role is a Big off the bench.

My Order of Picks:
                              1. Davis - NO
                              2. Beal - Charlotte
                              3. MKG - Washington
                              4. Barnes - Cleveland
                              5. P. Jones - Sacramento
                              6. Drummond - Portland

Comment

Working...
                              X