Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colangelo going for broke? Bayless Bust? JJ a head case?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Colangelo going for broke? Bayless Bust? JJ a head case?

    If BC is now trying to save his ass...

    If this is true I am expecting the proper rebuild to be derailed for immediate (and likely mediocre) returns. This summer could leave intelligent Rap fans saying WTF? Deng... Iggy? really? for 8th pick?

    Interesting to see that Bayless was in attendance to watch PG draft prospects (assuming BC does not trade the pick)
    it's a shame he is perpetually injured or the Raptors weakest position would not be filled with so many question marks.

    Finally What the hell happened with James Johnson? I mean I know something happened and he was sitting out down the stretch.
    #21 ranked in the league with 81 blocks ... and he is a SF for goodness sake
    #41 in the league for Steal Per Game

    not bad for 1.8 million

    he must be a total headcase behind closed doors for BC to be shopping a lottery pick and being willing to take on almost 10x that salary.... wow JR Rider perhaps?
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

  • #2
    charlz wrote: View Post
    If BC is now trying to save his ass...



    If this is true I am expecting the proper rebuild to be derailed for immediate (and likely mediocre) returns. This summer could leave intelligent Rap fans saying WTF? Deng... Iggy? really? for 8th pick?

    Interesting to see that Bayless was in attendance to watch PG draft prospects (assuming BC does not trade the pick)


    it's a shame he is perpetually injured or the Raptors weakest position would not be filled with so many question marks.

    Finally What the hell happened with James Johnson? I mean I know something happened and he was sitting out down the stretch.
    #21 ranked in the league with 81 blocks ... and he is a SF for goodness sake
    #41 in the league for Steal Per Game

    not bad for 1.8 million

    he must be a total headcase behind closed doors for BC to be shopping a lottery pick and being willing to take on almost 10x that salary.... wow JR Rider perhaps?
    I honestly think that Bayless has played unbelievably well for us coming off the bench, almost well enough to warrant being a starting PG in this league.

    As far as JJ is concerned I too was shocked at Casey's lack of trust in his game, leading our team in blocks and steals, while shooting a decent percentage from the field, and averaging good rebounding numbers for a SF. He deserves more credit in my opinion, the only thing I can see as his downfall is perhaps some attitude issues, he probably feels he should be getting 36 min. per game and casey isnt giving it to him, hence some attitude.

    As for Iggy or Deng, I would gladly trade the 8th pick for either one of those guys. Those guys are proven stars in this league, where as an 8th pick hasn't proven shit. I'm sure we would have to give up a lot more than the 8th to get those guys.

    No team goes from being a lottery team to winning the championship the following year without making huge offseason acquisitions (see boston celtics). It starts with making the playoffs, then advancing deeper into the playoffs etc. Making the playoffs next year is not derailing the rebuild in my opinion, in fact it is an essential part of the rebuild.

    Just my opinion.
    "Defense wins championships."

    Comment


    • #3
      charlz wrote: View Post
      If BC is now trying to save his ass...



      If this is true I am expecting the proper rebuild to be derailed for immediate (and likely mediocre) returns. This summer could leave intelligent Rap fans saying WTF? Deng... Iggy? really? for 8th pick?

      Interesting to see that Bayless was in attendance to watch PG draft prospects (assuming BC does not trade the pick)


      it's a shame he is perpetually injured or the Raptors weakest position would not be filled with so many question marks.

      Finally What the hell happened with James Johnson? I mean I know something happened and he was sitting out down the stretch.
      #21 ranked in the league with 81 blocks ... and he is a SF for goodness sake
      #41 in the league for Steal Per Game

      not bad for 1.8 million

      he must be a total headcase behind closed doors for BC to be shopping a lottery pick and being willing to take on almost 10x that salary.... wow JR Rider perhaps?

      Really, WTF are you saying?
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

      Comment


      • #4
        WJF wrote: View Post
        Really, WTF are you saying?
        Yeah I am a tad confused as well.

        All I can say that is somewhat related to this thread is that I hope we keep our hands on JJ.

        Comment


        • #5
          Bayless is a proven baller and I hope he can crack the starting PG position next year just to see what he is capable of. I feel he can be a good starting PG for us. I mean if we are looking at Lilard, is there really a difference? Both scoring PGs, both about the same age with Bayless being in the league much longer.

          As for JJ. I really don't know whats wrong with him. I figure it has to be attitude or something. Cause even Chicago didn't want him as a backup.

          Comment


          • #6
            SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
            I honestly think that Bayless has played unbelievably well for us coming off the bench, almost well enough to warrant being a starting PG in this league.

            As far as JJ is concerned I too was shocked at Casey's lack of trust in his game, leading our team in blocks and steals, while shooting a decent percentage from the field, and averaging good rebounding numbers for a SF. He deserves more credit in my opinion, the only thing I can see as his downfall is perhaps some attitude issues, he probably feels he should be getting 36 min. per game and casey isnt giving it to him, hence some attitude.
            Bayless comes in cold after and injury .. takes a few games to get a rhythm and starts looking very VERY effective, and then boom INJURED AGAIN. Biggest tease of the season IMO

            I have taken a lot of heat for my backing on JJohnson. I have gone so far as to call him a poor mans Denis Rodman. He has remarkable athleticism and versatility. However I trust D Casey and if he benched a defensive menace like JJ there must have been good reason. it will be a shame if JJ does not realize his potential or is subjected to some form of mental illness that keeps setting him back...
            "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

            Comment


            • #7
              charlz wrote: View Post
              Bayless comes in cold after and injury .. takes a few games to get a rhythm and starts looking very VERY effective, and then boom INJURED AGAIN. Biggest tease of the season IMO

              I have taken a lot of heat for my backing on JJohnson. I have gone so far as to call him a poor mans Denis Rodman. He has remarkable athleticism and versatility. However I trust D Casey and if he benched a defensive menace like JJ there must have been good reason. it will be a shame if JJ does not realize his potential or is subjected to some form of mental illness that keeps setting him back...
              i am also a big jj fan but only as a role player. i don't think he could start on a good team. he couldn't crack the rotation on a good team already. to me it is a case of a good defensive player who was given a green light to play some offense on a bad team while the team saw what they had in him. didn't like one aspect of his game and tried to reign him in. he is a young kid and made a mistake. if after the smack down and the interviews he has more than likely had since then or especially the season ending interviews with coach and gm, the team and him might be on seperate pages of what they both want.

              Comment


              • #8
                Benching players happens more often than people think. I think the thread is overreacting. Just because there are some vague mentions of the possibility of acquiring a SF does not mean we should be throwing JJ under the bus. It's also not the first time a player is pissed not getting enuff playing time. Its really how its handled. I personally rather like my players feisty (especially when they are young) about playing time. How they interact with the coach is another thing of course. JJ at this time has yet to prove he is an elite SF. But I'd rather have him on the team than off.

                Comment


                • #9
                  charlz wrote: View Post
                  If BC is now trying to save his ass...

                  Finally What the hell happened with James Johnson? I mean I know something happened and he was sitting out down the stretch.
                  #21 ranked in the league with 81 blocks ... and he is a SF for goodness sake
                  #41 in the league for Steal Per Game
                  not bad for 1.8 million
                  he must be a total headcase behind closed doors for BC to be shopping a lottery pick and being willing to take on almost 10x that salary.... wow JR Rider perhaps?
                  Bayless: IMO opinion pretty straight forward. Can play BUT, injured way too much. Could he be a starter? Yes, but again-injured way too much & thus no continuity for team.
                  JJ: Big fan; IMO comparable numbers to Iggy (at 1/4 price). Head case? Don't know. He was playing solid, then DNP coaches decision. Very curious. His outside shooting is poor, but hustle, D exceptional. Only Casey & BC know if it's salvageable.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Im just hoping JJ gets his shit together, i mean he's playing good and stuff, something mental maybe? But we could have him start at the SF if we dont get anyone through a trade or free agency. Then, draft lillard or rivers to have that extra "cockiness" on the team that can deliver.

                    I was a fan of bayless, but like all ya'll are saying he gets injured waaaay to often, again, thats where drafting rivers could come in handy...who knows, he might just surprise everyone and out franchise might have a bonafide star.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Bendit wrote: View Post
                      Benching players happens more often than people think. I think the thread is overreacting. Just because there are some vague mentions of the possibility of acquiring a SF does not mean we should be throwing JJ under the bus. It's also not the first time a player is pissed not getting enuff playing time. Its really how its handled. I personally rather like my players feisty (especially when they are young) about playing time. How they interact with the coach is another thing of course. JJ at this time has yet to prove he is an elite SF. But I'd rather have him on the team than off.
                      i think it has been more than vague in the need of a sf and i hope you aren't holding your breath for jj to show he is elite

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                        I honestly think that Bayless has played unbelievably well for us coming off the bench, almost well enough to warrant being a starting PG in this league.

                        As far as JJ is concerned I too was shocked at Casey's lack of trust in his game, leading our team in blocks and steals, while shooting a decent percentage from the field, and averaging good rebounding numbers for a SF. He deserves more credit in my opinion, the only thing I can see as his downfall is perhaps some attitude issues, he probably feels he should be getting 36 min. per game and casey isnt giving it to him, hence some attitude.

                        As for Iggy or Deng, I would gladly trade the 8th pick for either one of those guys. Those guys are proven stars in this league, where as an 8th pick hasn't proven shit. I'm sure we would have to give up a lot more than the 8th to get those guys.

                        No team goes from being a lottery team to winning the championship the following year without making huge offseason acquisitions (see boston celtics). It starts with making the playoffs, then advancing deeper into the playoffs etc. Making the playoffs next year is not derailing the rebuild in my opinion, in fact it is an essential part of the rebuild.

                        Just my opinion.
                        Trading the 8th pick for iggy or deng is retarded. It just replaces us with the sixers for the 8th seed and puts us in the mediocre category

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                          Trading the 8th pick for iggy or deng is retarded. It just replaces us with the sixers for the 8th seed and puts us in the mediocre category
                          i wouldn't mind iggy as i think his 2 years left would allow this team to grow while winning a bit more and in 2 more years he can either be signed for less or his entire salary comes off the hooks just as we would be expecting bigv and the gang ready to compete. but i don't think deng is as good as he is given credit for and wouldn't make that trade.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I like Bayless and JJ as backups, since I'm a believer in versatility in the 2nd unit, and between them they can back up 1-4. Kleiza and JJohnson are redundant though if we get a legit starting 3. So one of them should go, I would prefer to keep JJ, but would expect the team to go with Linus, given whatever issue JJ and Casey had, plus Kleiza's Lithuanian connection being a positive for JV, and the fact that James Johnson probably has more trade value.

                            Bayless I would keep if he excepted the fact that he's a combo guard, and there a rotation player, not a starter. If we draft Waiters, though, Bayless is gone.

                            Rivers may make a good coach one day, but probably never an above average NBA player. So If we do get him, the only spot he'll take is on the deep bench.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                              Trading the 8th pick for iggy or deng is retarded. It just replaces us with the sixers for the 8th seed and puts us in the mediocre category
                              +1

                              totally agree. is that really worth torching a lottery pick and getting a bloated salary?

                              ... a quick first round dismissal vs 1 or 2 seed (no thanks)
                              "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X